shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help w/old mine, antique, royal, vintage cushion diamon

MarkyMark15

Rough_Rock
Greetings - I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I have narrowed my extensive search for the perfect engagement ring for my girlfriend (something like the pic below). Now I would just like some help to narrow further. I want to get an old mine cushion diamond in a simple halo setting and maximize my $7000 budget (which is a stretch).

I've done a lot of research but am finding it hard to narrow down further. Do I buy a normal old mine brilliant cut or one of the 3 fancy cuts that have more brilliance listed below. Like most I want the biggest diamond for my buck (she's a size 8.25 finger), plus she definitely deserves it and is the most giving person I've ever met, when she's not working to make ends meet she's doing charity work.

My minimum standard is a J (mayyybe K), VS2. I'd like to be at about 1.25 carats or more.

- Good Old Gold - August Vintage Cushion
- Brilliantly Engaged - Royal Chandelier Cushion
- Victor Canera - Antique Cushion

Does anyone have any advice, either the type of diamond to buy and why or a similar experience? I would really really appreciate any info. Thanks so much.

3568_thumbnail_image.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need help w/old mine, antique, royal, vintage cushion di

What is your budget for the stone alone?

MarkyMark15

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1461541263|4023187 said:
What is your budget for the stone alone?

Hi tyty - I'm hoping to stay around $6000. Thanks

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Hey MarkyMark,

A branded antique-reproduction diamond is going to be expensive, and difficult to get what you're looking for in your budget. Might you consider an actually antique diamond? They can be stunning - including in lower colour grades. If you're open to this possibility, check out Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds! Just to take one example:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-31ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-si1#.Vx1qc8fYklY

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No, your stone budget isn't 6000, I'm sorry to say. A thousand is not enough for a quality pave halo setting.

Also do you KNOW if the wearer would be okay with that color range? It's not a good idea to get a K -- or even a J for someone whose color preferences haven't been vetted.

Can you take her to a hearts on fire dealer? See some J's in person and see what she thinks.

Or, if you are near one of the old cut dealers recommended on here, go to one and see some old europeans for color (that would be a closer match than a hearts on fire).

That picture you posted isn't of a cushion. You know that right? It's of a step cut. Is that the picture she gave you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Since the picture you posted was of a step cut, I'm expanding you to step cuts and modern cushions. Also that ring looks high color. I would personally advise sticking to I or better in a halo. Preferably H or higher, honestly.

Here are some options:

1. Check to see if eyeclean: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Emerald/GIA-Certified-1-01-Carat-D-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-6E6NK3

2. Beautiful modern cushion that let you put more money toward the setting (which you are going to need to do): https://enchanteddiamonds.com//view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-01-Carat-I-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-H1T2QX

4. A large J cushion that lets you put more toward setting too: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-35-Carat-J-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-37NSVF

5. Another great modern cushion: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-1-Carat-I-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-BSAHPF

6. Another step cut: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Emerald/GIA-Certified-1-02-Carat-H-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-KF4M65

I will look at some chunkier faceted cushions for you.

MarkyMark15

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1461548613|4023212 said:
No, your stone budget isn't 6000, I'm sorry to say. A thousand is not enough for a quality pave halo setting.

Also do you KNOW if the wearer would be okay with that color range? It's not a good idea to get a K -- or even a J for someone whose color preferences haven't been vetted.

Can you take her to a hearts on fire dealer? See some J's in person and see what she thinks.

Or, if you are near one of the old cut dealers recommended on here, go to one and see some old europeans for color (that would be a closer match than a hearts on fire).

That picture you posted isn't of a cushion. You know that right? It's of a step cut. Is that the picture she gave you?

I figure to spend about 1500 on a setting and have found a few. I have no idea at all what my gf wants and is ok with. I do know she is not picky about anything and would love it if I put a pebble from the sidewalk into a setting :) That's why I want it to be different/special and will stretch my budget as far as I can for the right stone. I'm not the biggest fan of the old europeans and want to stick to the old mine/chunky cut cushions.

No I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out, that was one that just jumped out to me.

I found this stone but the L color scares me a lot. What do you think?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.22-AVC-I-AGS-L-VS2-diamond-stock-14270-cert-104046522002

Appreciate you responding Gypsy.

Also, here's an old mine cut I liked. ring2_4.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mark,

Tell me something.

Let's say your lady was going to buy you a car. One you would have to drive every day for the rest of your life. Don't you think you would appreciate her doing some research on what YOU like, instead of just going with what she likes and saying that you would be happy with anything? Would you be happy with a Fiat? Or a mini cooper? Or a Jetta? Would you be grateful for any things she buys you? Or would you appreciate it if she took some time to figure out what is important to you?

It is a bad idea to assume that your lady has no preferences, or that your preferences and hers would be similar. You are spending 7k. When was the last time you spent that much money?

Please find out if she has a pinterest page. Do some sleuthing by talking to her sister, best friend, cousin, whomever she is closest to, other than you. And find out what her exact preferences are.

Also, a minor correction. I did not recommend you BUY an OEC. I told you to go see them for color evaluation. You cannot assume a J or K will be acceptable. It's very risky. The closest thing to a chunky cushion you may be able to find to see locally would probably be an OEC. I just wanted you to spend some time doing some leg work to make sure you and SHE aren't unhappy with this.

Okay? Her preferences matter. She has to wear the thing for the rest of her life.

And no. No one is going to recommend you buy a K or an L for a person whose color preferences you have not vetted, as a surprise. It is a BAD IDEA. An H or I is the lowest you should go. Okay?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some stones I would recommend:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/0.96-Cushion-I-GIA-F-VS2-diamond-stock-12775-cert-

Or this one:

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/newly-added-1.09-royal-chandelier-brilliant-gid-655064.html I really like this one. But you would have to expand your budget for a decent halo. Just because you have found 1000 halos doesn't mean you should buy one. Remember the Yugo? Or the Pinto? Yeah. All settings are not created equal, and especially halo settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Gypsy on finding out what she likes, exploring color (and I do not recommend going below J usually), and adjusting your expectations for the cost of the setting. This is the very least expensive halo setting I can recommend (in platinum):

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5048

The only downside of your idea is that cushions face up smaller than a well cut round brilliant, so I am just mentioning that a round stone can go in a cushion shaped halo.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm going to chime in and say that my mother happily wore an M-N diamond, a gift from her MIL, for more than twenty years. My James Meyer has J/K diamonds and many here have gushed over that ring. In other words, it is possible that your girlfriend would be perfectly happy with a very low color diamond. But I agree with Gypsy and the others that it might not be wise to assume that to be the case. A little sleuthing, or just plain communication, is in order.

MarkyMark15

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the responses.

No you're right, god willing she will be wearing it for the rest of her life and it is a LOT of money. I just know she'll find out and I want it to be a complete surprise/shocker, ya know? I'm not planning on getting a color below a J. I really like some of the stones you posted, both the antique/vintage are perfect, the only thing is that they're small (I know my budget may have to increase a few thousand) and that Ritani halo is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on how to sleuth?? Her family all have big mouths haha and I haven't a clue on how to get a vintage cushion in front of her but I'm 99.9% sure she would love it over the more common round cuts. I wasn't really concerned at all and now I don't know what to do, oh the struggles of life. Maybe ill print out some photos and leave them on the counter? Say I was helping one of my buddies pick out a ring, see which one she likes the best?

Also, do any of these sites offer additional discounts on top of the bank wire? If I call, cry/beg/plead? Or are they pretty strict on staying true to their online prices?

Thanks again to all

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

First thing, I would check to see if she has a pinterest page. That is the easiest way to sleuth.

You said her family is all big mouths. How about her closest friends? Are any of them better?

Online prices are usually pretty firm, but it never hurts to ask if someone has a promotion or offers a discount for pricescope members.

How solid are your finances. You say you realize the the budget may have to expand. Is that something that you are secure about? Do you have money in the bank? Because we really don't recommend going into debt to afford a larger ring.

I know the one carat stones seems small to you. But honestly the difference between a 1 carat and a 1.3 carat in a halo is going to very slight.

Let me see if I can find something else to recommend. I have an idea.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

First thing is to see what she likes. But square stones in general face up small. If you like rounds at all, that would be something to consider. And rounds hide color the best. So you can go down to a J if you have to (though again, I recommend being more conservative) and putting the round in a square halo like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/brian-gavin-anita-halo-vs-french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

If she's really open, then you may want to consider a marquise like this: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-02ct-marquise-cut-diamond-gia-e-vs2#.Vx2aFnq_pKo

That gives you 9.62 x 5.62 x 3.41 mm in spread.

And oval is another option of more spread (face up size) per carat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi, something like this is what I am thinking, a custom halo by David Klass.

marquise_halo_ring.jpg

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

The first ring is a DBL-branded cushion cut by Yoram. Since they're newly cut antique diamonds, you can reach out to David to see if he'd be able to get one custom cut for you. Is there something specific you're looking for that the DBL cushion doesn't fulfill (I ask because it falls within budget and you said it caught your eye)? GOG and VC offer custom cutting services if that's a route you're interested to take.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skhii|1461566534|4023268 said:
The first ring is a DBL-branded cushion cut by Yoram. Since they're newly cut antique diamonds, you can reach out to David to see if he'd be able to get one custom cut for you. Is there something specific you're looking for that the DBL cushion doesn't fulfill (I ask because it falls within budget and you said it caught your eye)? GOG and VC offer custom cutting services if that's a route you're interested to take.

3568_thumbnail_image.jpg

That's not a cushion. It's a step cut. A square emerald. Otherwise known as generic asscher.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1461569264|4023272 said:

3568_thumbnail_image.jpg

That's not a cushion. It's a step cut. A square emerald. Otherwise known as generic asscher.

OP posted this ring:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-73ct-g-si2-old-mine-brilliant-gia-lovely-cut-r5956

Personally, I don't think it looks like a step cut, but as long as OP and his partner like it, the name doesn't matter. It is not advertised as an asscher though.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful [new] old mine cut!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skhii|1461570795|4023273 said:
Gypsy|1461569264|4023272 said:

3568_thumbnail_image.jpg

OP posted this ring:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-73ct-g-si2-old-mine-brilliant-gia-lovely-cut-r5956

Personally, I don't think it looks like a step cut, but as long as OP and his partner like it, the name doesn't matter. It is not advertised as an asscher though.

WOW. You are right. It is a OMB! Color me shocked. In that picture, so small, it looks like an asscher.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I'd pass on that James Allen 1.54 cushion. All of that black in the image shows it won't sparkle well.

So is the reason you don't want to buy the one from DBL (that you originally posted a picture of) because it's too small for you? Because it's really a pretty option in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No. Not a good stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results