shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help understanding heart and arrow defect under scope

A2datta

Rough_Rock
I checked this diamond under the scope and found black dots showing up within the hearts ( see attached pic ). As per GIA cert there is one cloud and crystal defect near culet. The jeweller checked the diamond and could not locate any defects that would cause these black dots under the scope. Should I be concerned?

Based on attached cert would you consider this a good diamond for around 8K?

Please HELP!!

H&A.jpg

gia cert.jpg

A2datta

Rough_Rock
Re: Need Help understanding heart and arrow defect under sco

anyone? Please??

darren

Rough_Rock

Its most likely the crystal reflecting in the facets, thats why you see it in all of the heart images. The reason why shows up as black dots is from the viewer that you are using.

A2datta

Rough_Rock

Darren is a price of 8k acceptable based on the attached specs? Would you consider this stone a true hearts and arrow even though gia cert doesn't specify it as H&A?

annee

Rough_Rock

do you have a bigger pic of the gia cert? can't make out the numbers from the one you attached..

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

darren|1314933452|3007972 said:
Its most likely the crystal reflecting in the facets, thats why you see it in all of the heart images. The reason why shows up as black dots is from the viewer that you are using.

Darren is correct. Nothing to worry about.

A2datta

Rough_Rock

below is the spec:

type: round brilliant
carat: 1.03
color:H
clarity:VS2
cut grade: excellent
table:56
depth: 61.2
crown angle: 34.5
table angle: 40.8
defect: cloud and crystal at culet
polish and sym: excellent
hca:1.2

would you guys consider this a good stone for 8k?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's a good price compared to offerings in that class and category from reputable online sellers. Impossible to tell precisely how well it's cut from the information above; most measurements are averaged and rounded. But given the overall stats and information provided I think the price is good.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A2datta|1314933646|3007974 said:
Darren is a price of 8k acceptable based on the attached specs? Would you consider this stone a true hearts and arrow even though gia cert doesn't specify it as H&A?
no!...not from the pic you posted.

A2datta

Rough_Rock

What details would you require to identify whether this is excellent cut?

GIA is stating on the report that cut grade is excellent...

slg47

Ideal_Rock

GIA Ex is a wider range than some of us picky PSers prefer.

However, since you have a GIA Ex that scores well on the HCA I think you are good. Excellent cut does not necessarily mean hearts and arrows. The H&A pic looks to have some issues although it is hard to tell if that is an artifact of photography or reflecting characteristics of the diamond itself, although I suspect it is not a true H&A.

If you can get an idealscope pic that would give more information about the diamond. However from the information we have I don't see any reason to reject it, unless you are specifically looking for a true H&A. Have you seen this diamond in person?

A2datta

Rough_Rock

No I have not seen this diamond in person as I am buying it through a online wholeseller.

Is there something in specific I need to check when I i go to pick up the stone from the dealer?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

do they have any pictures of the diamond? (not through H&A viewer?)

A2datta

Rough_Rock

No they don't have a picture. However, I am sending the stone to an appraiser before I pick up. If I don't like the stone, than I have the option of returning it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

A2datta|1315012116|3008728 said:
No they don't have a picture. However, I am sending the stone to an appraiser before I pick up. If I don't like the stone, than I have the option of returning it.

seems strange that they can take H&A pic but not a regular pic? but I don't see anything to worry about with this diamond and it sounds like you have a good return policy.

if you keep it, please post pictures!

darren

Rough_Rock

Dancing Fire|1314942760|3008088 said:
no!...not from the pic you posted.

GIA doesn't specify if the stone is a H&A or not. I believe that the only time you will see the wording H&A would be in the description of the inscription (if the cutter requests one). From the picture that you posted, I would say that this is not an true H&A diamond because the hearts are of different shapes and sizes or in other words there not identical. This still may be a good diamond and I would suggest that if you can be with the appraiser at the time of the inspection be there. Keep in mind that some appraisers will only validate that you are getting what your paying for. In this case that your diamond is a 1ct HVS2 round and not the optics/light return of the stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is it important to you to have a true H&A stone for some reason?

Given the information you gave, the diamond passes all the tests I have to make seeing it in person a good idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results