Need Help: Trigons on Quartz Vs Diamond

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Hi, Please need help on identifying the attached stone:
img_20160914_125743.jpg img_20160914_125726.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, IMHO, if this was a diamond rough you would already know it. In this size, if you were serious, you would already have had it tested. If you havent, that would be the recommended route because noone can answer for sure based on a picture. It could just as well be glass as quartz. Just ask a jeweler to test it. :wavey:

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Thanks there!
Actually I got a chance to take a pic of the stone from someone's pile of stones collection that I intend to offer a price.
I got intrigued by the trigons in on the surface and my heart skipped a beat noticing those. and again when I did the fogging test. the vapor evaporated almost instantly.Then I googled for the triangular etching on crystals. I didnt get a chance to get it tested or can find any reliable testers who can confirm honestly. I wanted some expert feedback based on images i posted. I am buying a diamond tester online and doing what other tests I can by this weekend and needed some expert opinion from the expert members with Pricescope.
-AKM
img_20160914_125803.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What price are you intending to offer?

I'm no expert but if that was actually diamond, that would surely sell for $millions.

Where is it from?

Where was it found?

When was it found?

What else is in the 'pile of stones' collection?

Do you have any paperwork for the stones?

If you can't show a clear path from ground to your possession, I think you would struggle to get this sold/cut/graded due to not being able to meet the Kimberley Process requirements.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
This was picked on the river banks of Krishna in India by a person who has this hobby going for the past 50 years.
here is extremely small part of the pile: notice the Huge Golden/Oriental topaz, he has few Alexs and violet zircons too.
I will answer other questions at an appropriate time. I want someone to speak about the trigons in the pic.
pile.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
akmraju|1474468086|4079206 said:
Thanks there!
Actually I got a chance to take a pic of the stone from someone's pile of stones collection that I intend to offer a price.
I got intrigued by the trigons in on the surface and my heart skipped a beat noticing those. and again when I did the fogging test. the vapor evaporated almost instantly.Then I googled for the triangular etching on crystals. I didnt get a chance to get it tested or can find any reliable testers who can confirm honestly. I wanted some expert feedback based on images i posted. I am buying a diamond tester online and doing what other tests I can by this weekend and needed some expert opinion from the expert members with Pricescope.
-AKM
img_20160914_125803.jpg

Looking at your picture I am seeing what looks like a concoidal fracture near the top of the front face of the stone above the trigons.

If so, that is proof positive that it is not a diamond, as a diamond with its cleavage would never allow a smooth concoidal fracture.

This is only my "best guess" based on what I think I am seeing in your photo and is not to be construed as fact. It is a cool specimen, regardless of whether or not it is a diamond, and I hope you will not be too disappointed to discover it is not diamond when you have it properly tested.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Note to self, do not post from memory when taking cough syrup.

After going to google to see if my memory is totally wrong, I am told from many places that diamonds do indeed reveal conchoidal fractures.

Usually when I see a damaged diamond, I see chips and "stair step" fractures, sometimes going from the girdle to the culet or girdle to the table depending on the angle of the blow.

Thank you for pointing out my error, it keeps me on my toes.

Wink

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it would be fabulous if it were a diamond but Quartz crystals can also have trigons. In the absence of a diamond tester, do you have a sapphire or ruby crystal? A sapphire or Ruby crystal will easily scratch the crystal if it is Quartz. If the sapphire gets scratched instead, yippee, you have diamond. I'm rather hoping it is a diamond because that would be so cool. If it is, please share with the current owner of the crystal.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bron!!
I am making another trip to test the stone this weekend with a diamond tester. Yes if that were a diamond I WILL surprise him more than he can imagine, as he has no idea where and how to sell it. Few years ago He partnered ( bought for $6500) with a gem cutter with 52 CT of 8 ( a couple of big octahedral) rough stones and the gem cutter vanished next day winding up his business never to be seen/traced again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results