shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help to choose ASA appraiser or Non-ASA appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

matrix

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I ordered a diamond online and going to hire a thrid party appraiser once i recieve the diamond. One of the reason i need an appraiser is for insurance purpose. I was wondering that .....Is there any difference to have an ASA member or non-ASA member to do the appraisal report. Does insurance company accept appraisal report by non-ASA member. Has anyone had any problem with insurance company not accepting non-ASA appraisal report.

Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Is there any difference to have an ASA member or non-ASA member to do the appraisal report.
-----------

The quality of the report is going to depend on the appraiser doing it, not whether or not he belongs to the ASA.

-----------
Does insurance company accept appraisal report by non-ASA member. Has anyone had any problem with
insurance company not accepting non-ASA appraisal report.
-----------

I'm not an ASA member, and I've never had one of my appraisals turned down because of it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ASA is a large association of appraisers that is primarily business evaluation and real estate. There are about 75 ASA jewelry appraisal members. Nearly every one of them is an expert and a good person. I used to be a member of ASA and was for a year their International Jewelry and Gems Chairman. I also did the local chapter stuff and rose through the various chairs to President of the large local chapter.

ASA does a great job of appraiser education. They have dropped the ball a bit in the jewelry specialty as politics and budgets take precendence when your disipline is a very small minority. The dues are very high and the return on the investment becomes less meaningful once you have many years of experience.

I now give my time and energy to NAJA. We have over 700 jewelry appraiser members. That is all NAJA has. Jewelry and Silverware appraisers. We have excellent educational opportunities and concern ourselves with our own issues, not politics, budgets and general appraising in other specialties. Many of the present ASA members are also NAJA members. Each association brings certain advantages and opportunities. I applaud both of these good organizations for bringing so many good people up to a high level of appraisal work.

Do you need an ASA appraiser? Probably not. Do you need an qualified appraiser, a professional? Probably "yes". Is it a good idea to trust anyone who simply says they are an "appraiser"? NO!

When you need professional advice, you don't trust the proverbial man in the street to help you. Go to someone who knows how to handle your special needs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results