shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help to choose a Rolex

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi to any any watch peeps. I could use your input and thoughts about this subject. I have gotten pretty far down the road, but am surprised at how complicated and not straight forward this process is for a relative newbie. For reference, I have a 5.125 inch wrist, and am 5'2. I am set on Rolex for this watch because I have always loved the brand and have emotional ties to it. I also love the cyclops, as I want to be able to see the date clearly and easily. The other brands I love are Jaeger and IWC, but Jaeger does not produce a version with a big enough date. IWC is great, and I will probably get one later, but I want a Rolex first. The Rolex(s) I have are all 26s.

The following are my needs.
1. 31mm - not too big, not too little
2. Date
3. Lume on markers and hands - essentially limits me to stick markers
4. Not too heavy as I would wear it 24/7
5. Easy to read - more space between the markers

Requiring lume and a date limits my options. The following have been my unsuccessful attempts to figure out what I now need.
1. 34 black with date and lume - too heavy for 24/7 wear, and masculine looking
2. 31 black with lume - no date, but perfect weight and very cute and pretty
3. 36 very visible and has date but too big and heavy
4. 31 MOP with date - looked beautiful, perfect size but no lume on hands or markers
5. 31 pink with lume and date - not too heavy but looked small, and not that easy to read
6. 34 pink with lume - size looks great but no date

The logistical challenges of "shopping" for a Rolex:
1. Hard to find pieces to try on at any authorized Rolex dealer because supply is low and demand is high.
2. Hard to order because some jewelry stores won't even take deposits. They will take your wishlist and maybe call you if they happen to receive a piece that you want and if you are next in line.
3. Some ADs (authorized dealers) will take a deposit but still won't be able to guarantee when a piece will be delivered. This is still better than the cross your fingers situation and hope something comes in scenario.
3. So many various combinations that there could be a combination you would not expect to work, but does work, but you would never know because you would never have had a chance to try it out.
4. Different colors in the same size makes the watch look different in size. White bezel and bracelet with white face makes a watch look bigger. A colored face can make it look smaller. But maybe a very dark face will make it look the smallest, and a lighter but not white face will make it look medium. I don't know. Not having a chance to try the various colors is limiting. I wish I was an artist so I can understand the visual impact of color better.
5. Purchasing online from a reliable online vendor (and I can't even get into the effort of finding a trustworthy online vendor) is also a challenge. The more desirable styles are marked up significantly higher than retail. One that I had my eye on, although it didn't even meet all my needs, was marked up by over 2x the retail price.

Anyway, if you've gotten through all my griping and detail, I have placed an order on a 31 mint green with white jubilee bracelet, white fluted bezel with date, and stick markers. No idea when it will come in. I'm in the process of returning a black 34 dome bezel, white bracelet with date. I thought I would love it since I really liked the 31 black dome bezel with white bracelet, but no date. I thought it was a little small so I sized up to a 34 and found one with the date. Little did I expect it would be too big and too heavy.

Ugh. Sorry, maybe I'm just venting. I will post some pics though.

@HollyC, @SandyK , @Polabowla , just some people who looked at my comments in the SMTB thread. I wish I had a specific piece that worked out. But I'm happy to show all the ones that didn't work.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
31 - looked small and don’t love color. Weight is good though.
3251206D-2D29-46AE-BA47-FF0DE643F9A3.jpeg

36 - too big
35237170-B3B1-41BF-ACE5-9EA73E452289.jpeg

31 - like the color and viability but no date.
4D7C4478-7101-474B-A916-DC6CD5F73100.jpeg

34 - liked the size but no to color and no date
0241A680-5CCB-47CA-9E94-F554C24BE7BE.jpeg

36 - loved color of face and visibility but too big
E131D42C-3B98-44AF-A425-D72CB01F8859.jpeg

31 - good size but way too much going on with the bezel. Diamonds don’t serve here. And no lume
41E0EF2F-F4D7-4008-A342-2E9AD6085B42.jpeg

31 - great visual size. Very pretty. No lume.
E488B557-0C9A-400D-A166-6B62CA9937FF.jpeg

Comparison of same size but different color. Both 31. Huge visual difference. And date makes it a little busier. But the white looks bigger to me than the black.
73F84D50-E818-48B8-B251-F2504E8D17D9.jpeg

34 - too big and heavy. Want something more feminine looking. Thought it would be perfect but definitely was not. Surprised that the date function. Made it that much heavier. Even a lot heavier than the 31 with date. Looks almost as big as my DH’s 36.
D832B505-A92E-4D55-8F43-373BC7B4BA60.jpeg

34 - in white. Looks not huge and reasonably pretty. But no lume. And also no longer available for order.
59BCC1F2-E484-428B-861A-F96D08B76AB3.jpeg

You can see the challenge.

Attachments

• E5869695-E92E-4479-A6B8-E47C4AB5426F.jpeg
    E5869695-E92E-4479-A6B8-E47C4AB5426F.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great you were able to try on this many, even if they didn't have the exact combination you want! To me (as you know ;-) ) , the 31 is absolutely PERFECT on you!!!

May I ask why having the date is so important to you? I actually would rather not have the date because the watches I have with a date have the wrong date and I have no idea how to change them!!! If you are working on a computer all day, it has the time and date right there. So I really don't care for my watch to have the date. On the other hand, I like the Roman Numeral dials and I think those are all Datejust, so I'd have to have the date whether I wanted it or not!

I do not like Rolex games, though. I understand it with the trendy limited sports watches, but good grief, if I want a 31 with a particular color dial, bezel, and bracelet, that is not too much to ask!!! It's almost like you'd have to call every AD in the US to find what you want! So I do feel your pain with this process!

I am also not sure how many people see this forum. I happened to see your post on the side of another forum page. You might want to post a thread in Hangout to direct the watch people to this thread.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great you were able to try on this many, even if they didn't have the exact combination you want! To me (as you know ;-) ) , the 31 is absolutely PERFECT on you!!!

May I ask why having the date is so important to you? I actually would rather not have the date because the watches I have with a date have the wrong date and I have no idea how to change them!!! If you are working on a computer all day, it has the time and date right there. So I really don't care for my watch to have the date. On the other hand, I like the Roman Numeral dials and I think those are all Datejust, so I'd have to have the date whether I wanted it or not!

I do not like Rolex games, though. I understand it with the trendy limited sports watches, but good grief, if I want a 31 with a particular color dial, bezel, and bracelet, that is not too much to ask!!! It's almost like you'd have to call every AD in the US to find what you want! So I do feel your pain with this process!

I am also not sure how many people see this forum. I happened to see your post on the side of another forum page. You might want to post a thread in Hangout to direct the watch people to this thread.

Hi DS, thank you for your thoughts and constant support with this search. I love the date because I am constantly asking "What day is it?" all over the place. If I'm in the kitchen or living room or out. If I could afford it I would get the day-date. Don't laugh but I am trying to pick up my phone less.

I am coming to realize the 31 is probably ideal on me. But you know me. I have to prove it to myself by trying on a bunch of options to reject them.

I am surprised that there are games. It's crazy. I am kinda learning the games...

True, maybe moving to Hang out might be better. I'll ask the mods and see if they can help. :)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom--I love the one you ordered, & think you will definitely appreciate the Jubilee bracelet on your smaller wrist. It will look great in a 31mm SS with that mint green!!!:love:

One of my past Rolex watches had an SS Oyster bracelet, & after a few years, I decided it eventually looked sort of clunky on my wrist--it had a WMOP face, diamond markers w/ a scattered diamond bezel--just like the 31mm you posted above w a black face, I eventually traded mine in on another w/ a Jubilee--& like it much better. I'm so glad you landed on the jubilee bracelet...it will dress up or down YKWIM.

I think you are a few years younger than I am & will enjoy wearing that mint green face--I think it's such a pretty color. I also tried on the olive green when shopping for my 2 tone 31mm white face/Roman Numerals. While I love the colored faces--(also tried on a deep purple face), I decided at my age, to go with the more understated, classic white face/Roman Numerals, as it was to be my daily driver.

My other favorite 2 tone 31mm combinations (besides your order) are: the silver face/Roman Numerals, champagne face/Roman Numerals, and the olive green/Roman Numerals.

Its so much fun shopping, enjoy it!

Please post pics when it comes in, I can't wait to see it!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom--I love the one you ordered, & think you will definitely appreciate the Jubilee bracelet on your smaller wrist. It will look great in a 31mm SS with that mint green!!!:love:

One of my past Rolex watches had an SS Oyster bracelet, & after a few years, I decided it eventually looked sort of clunky on my wrist--it had a WMOP face, diamond markers w/ a scattered diamond bezel--just like the 31mm you posted above w a black face, I eventually traded mine in on another w/ a Jubilee--& like it much better. I'm so glad you landed on the jubilee bracelet...it will dress up or down YKWIM.

I think you are a few years younger than I am & will enjoy wearing that mint green face--I think it's such a pretty color. I also tried on the olive green when shopping for my 2 tone 31mm white face/Roman Numerals. While I love the colored faces--(also tried on a deep purple face), I decided at my age, to go with the more understated, classic white face/Roman Numerals, as it was to be my daily driver.

My other favorite 2 tone 31mm combinations (besides your order) are: the silver face/Roman Numerals, champagne face/Roman Numerals, and the olive green/Roman Numerals.

Its so much fun shopping, enjoy it!

Please post pics when it comes in, I can't wait to see it!!

Thank you so much for reading my long (kinda annoying) post and sharing your thoughts.

Forgot to post a pic of the one I ordered.
2D7E7033-BF35-4189-9578-30842CC34A9D.jpeg

And just attaching a comparison of the three 31’s.
6D45C27E-DAF4-48AD-A0E7-722EB0FCD633.jpeg

What you and @diamondseeker2006 say about the classic colors is very true. I have to keep looking at tons of the them, and looking at them over and over. I think this will not be my only one. I have a gut feeling that even if I love the green color, I will end up getting a white face 31. I am kinda bent on getting one or two that meet all my logistical needs and then I can move on to more fun colors and options. Maybe I can get one that is not "classic". Ok @sarahb You've got me thinking. I actually really liked the MOP and diamonds with the jubilee bracelet. But I think it is wiser for me to get one with lume first, and then this one was soooo pretty.
55F47C77-E116-4EE9-AEDD-A1BD476F1E65.jpeg

Last edited:

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could help more but to be honest I don't know much about Rolex's. In my opinion the 31 looks best on you. I would also go for a light colour dial so the mint green will be perfect. I also really liked the mop on you - think it looks beautiful with your skin tone.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for reading my long (kinda annoying) post and sharing your thoughts.

Forgot to post a pic of the one I ordered.
2D7E7033-BF35-4189-9578-30842CC34A9D.jpeg

And just attaching a comparison of the three 31’s.
6D45C27E-DAF4-48AD-A0E7-722EB0FCD633.jpeg

I think you landed on a beautiful watch, it will look great--love that green color w the SS. I think the SS Jubilee green out performs the 2 tone, and the Oyster/black face combo. It's so hard to choose!

Edited to add:

Yes, I get what you're saying that this may not be your 'only' or final watch. I was wondering that exact thought re your green face choice.

I am at my 'forever' place now, & wear the 2 31mm's interchangeably...the 26mm I'll never trade or sell as it is a sentimental piece. YOLO, I say have fun with the green face--it looks so sharp in SS!

IMG_4880.jpeg IMG_1758.jpeg IMG_1310.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could help more but to be honest I don't know much about Rolex's. In my opinion the 31 looks best on you. I would also go for a light colour dial so the mint green will be perfect. I also really liked the mop on you - think it looks beautiful with your skin tone.

Thanks HollyC. I know Rolexes aren't for everyone. I am also curious about what people look for when they shop for a watch. What are the things most important to them. Size? Color? Markers? Style? Features - date, no date, chronograph? Shape? Do people have one and that's it? Do people collect? I'm also trying to understand what and why. Anything you have to share, be it Rolex or not, would be helpful.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you landed on a beautiful watch, it will look great--love that green color w the SS. I think the SS Jubilee green out performs the 2 tone, and the Oyster/black face combo. It's so hard to choose!

Thank you. I am seriously looking at the silver dial too. If I can't get this one I will work on the other...

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks HollyC. I know Rolexes aren't for everyone. I am also curious about what people look for when they shop for a watch. What are the things most important to them. Size? Color? Markers? Style? Features - date, no date, chronograph? Shape? Do people have one and that's it? Do people collect? I'm also trying to understand what and why. Anything you have to share, be it Rolex or not, would be helpful.

I'm just not a conventional watch person. My watch is first and foremost a piece of jewellery. I only have one - honestly the only watches that I have liked since I got my Serpenti is the double wrap Cartier panther (all gold lol) and the new Chaumet Josephine pear dial. Im pretty sure that this watch will see me to the end..... fingers crossed.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh the watch you ordered looks stunning! The mop looks beautiful on your wrist too.
Please show us photos when you get it.

I have loved pictures of Chopard watches but never seen any irl.

I did find that an automatic watch can be kind of bulky & heavy though.
And i often forget to wear a watch (so i make my kids with watches crazy asking for the time lol)
To me a light color face & big numbers have been very handy since i am quite nearsighted.

I’m not a Rolex person, but I am a watch person, so idk if this is helpful. I do like the combo you ordered though, I think it sounds cool!

When I say I’m a watch person btw I don’t mean I’m an expert or that I even know much about watches. First and foremost watches are still a form of jewelry for me. I love them as an accessory and I wear one every day.

I buy watches the same way I buy jewelry - I create a list of my ideal collection, trim it down to as small as I can get it, and then start purchasing one by one. I like my watches to coordinate with my jewelry, so I keep that in mind. To me, a dress watch shouldn’t have a metal bracelet (because I can’t afford a diamond watch bracelet), so though I love metal bracelets I want to get one or two watches with leather straps as “formal/dress” watches.

Things that I need for an ideal watch collection:
- daily wear watches (no diamonds, light coloured face) - in full steel, steel & YG, steel & RG
- semi-formal watches (dark coloured face, diamonds on dial/bezel/markers) - in steel, YG
- formal watches (diamonds on dial/bezel/markers, leather strap) - in steel/WG, in YG

Essentially I’d like 7 watches total at a minimum, so I’ve a long way to go still. I really like Cartier watches in general because of how they look. I tend to look at aesthetics first and foremost. How big the dial is on my hand, does it go with my style - features and comfort are lower on my list lol. Also a huge fan of Bulgari Serpenti. I do want to get one automatic/manual winding watch though, ideally a vintage one, either an AP or Patek. Just because of the cool factor!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edited to add:

Yes, I get what you're saying that this may not be your 'only' or final watch. I was wondering that exact thought re your green face choice.

I am at my 'forever' place now, & wear the 2 31mm's interchangeably...the 26mm I'll never trade or sell as it is a sentimental piece. YOLO, I say have fun with the green face--it looks so sharp in SS!

IMG_4880.jpeg IMG_1758.jpeg IMG_1310.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures @sarahb I love how all your watches look on you. What you have seems to make sense. A white 31, a two toned 31, and then the 26. I have a sneaking suspicion I may end up in a similar situation. I favor white watches. Thought I would love the two toned with everose, but didn't. I would love a dressy watch on the days I feel like it too. And my YG and white 26 is my keeper too.

QueenofDiamonds33

Rough_Rock
Thrilled to find this thread as I’m in the process of a nearly identical search! I agree that the 31mm is just perfection on your tiny wrist. My wrist is 6in and I’m trying to choose between the 34mm and 36mm sizes. I’m impressed you were able to find so many to try on, I’ve not had the same luck. Did you visit multiple ADs? Or got lucky with one that actually had stock?

Don’t want to threadjack, but if you don’t mind I’d love to hear more about what you don’t like about the pink? At the moment I’m between that and silver (and not able to try either on!) I’ve seen pictures where it’s a much lighter/softer pink that in your pictures, do you feel that your pictures are fairly representative of color? Or it looks darker in pictures with the flash? Would love to see any more you have.

Will be following as you have exquisite taste, and I always find your posts and thought process so similar to my own thinking. Good luck in your search!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LLJsmom, it took me a while to figure out my own likes/dislikes, but am happy with what I have--at the moment lol.

I too, thought I'd also like the everose, but it didn't like me. Love it on others when I see it though!

Have fun with the process. We ended up at the Rolex Boutique in Chicago for the diamond bezel purchase, it was my first & only choice, so it wasn't that hard of a decision--but really enjoyed trying on all the different models. The white 31 was a bit more of a decision process, as I loved a few other combo's equally. The nice thing about Rolex though, is the trade in option if you find yourself with something you can live without.

I love the clean look of a white face too, but it is so hard. Rolex has so many beautiful colors--like your SS & mint green choice, it is so sleek looking--can't wait to see it on your arm! :)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
The lack of Rolex availability is SO frustrating, but I am excited for you @LLJsmom !! You will find your perfect watch.

It sounds like your current 26s may already cover the more dressy category, so this 31mm will be your every day watch? Have you decided for sure between the fluted bezel + jubilee bracelet versus smooth bezel + oyster bracelet? In looking at the pictures above, either combination looks great on you. To me the smooth bezel + oyster looks more casual while the fluted + jubilee is more dressy, although either one would look great with jeans, etc.

I love the mint green one you have on order! I think that seeing the dial will help you decide how you feel about having a colored dial versus one that is more neutral. For a watch I want to wear every day I would probably lean more towards either the silver dial or the dark grey dial (although I do think the mint green is very versatile, as colored faces go). The silver dial is obviously more monochromatic so I think it depends on how much contrast you are looking for with the watch face. I recall seeing some pics of it on that Rolex thread from the other forum about purses and it seems to look better in person and be super pretty and shimmery:

Silver Face.PNG

Since you liked the black face, I wonder if you might also like the dark grey option? More contrast and I think I've also seen pics of this on that other forum:

Dark Grey Face.PNG

And then my last thought for now, just because I love Rolex's everose gold so much, is that maybe you would like the two-tone version if you picked a dial that has more contrast than the one you tried on in the store? Here is the TT with the slate dial:

TT Slate.PNG

And this is totally personal preference, but I prefer your choice of the stick markers over diamond markers. I obviously love diamonds haha, but the stick markers are a super clean look and it seems like that is the vibe you are going for with this watch (in addition to readability concerns). But of course, there are tons of gorgeous configurations that are more dressy with the MOP + diamonds, etc...

Ok! I think those are all my thoughts for now :)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and I meant to also say that for me, I'm pretty set on the DJ below (probably going to get it towards the end of this year, but want to try and visit a few more stores to try on whatever is available to be sure). I've had my eye on this combination forever, as (1) I love rose gold in general and Rolex's everose is just so pretty, (2) the jubilee bracelet looks like a piece of jewelry to me, (3) I really like the classic white face + roman numerals look. If I never got another watch I think I would be fine with the below, as I think it can be dressed up and dressed down.

My DJ.PNG

And while spending way too much time over on that other Rolex thread I mentioned, I saw a picture of someone with a tiny wrist rocking the 37 mm YM below, and I was surprised that I loved the look! I think the option below would be fun as a more casual watch, if I were going to add a second Rolex. (My wrist is bigger than yours, so that gives me a little more wiggle room in terms of the bigger watches)

My YM.PNG

I am a little bummed that Rolex doesn't make the smaller size YMs anymore, as there are some really cool combinations that make for a fun, more casual watch! E.g. I love this slate dial with the pop of blue:

1621873726840.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a Rolex person, but I am a watch person, so idk if this is helpful. I do like the combo you ordered though, I think it sounds cool!

When I say I’m a watch person btw I don’t mean I’m an expert or that I even know much about watches. First and foremost watches are still a form of jewelry for me. I love them as an accessory and I wear one every day.

I buy watches the same way I buy jewelry - I create a list of my ideal collection, trim it down to as small as I can get it, and then start purchasing one by one. I like my watches to coordinate with my jewelry, so I keep that in mind. To me, a dress watch shouldn’t have a metal bracelet (because I can’t afford a diamond watch bracelet), so though I love metal bracelets I want to get one or two watches with leather straps as “formal/dress” watches.

Things that I need for an ideal watch collection:
- daily wear watches (no diamonds, light coloured face) - in full steel, steel & YG, steel & RG
- semi-formal watches (dark coloured face, diamonds on dial/bezel/markers) - in steel, YG
- formal watches (diamonds on dial/bezel/markers, leather strap) - in steel/WG, in YG

Essentially I’d like 7 watches total at a minimum, so I’ve a long way to go still. I really like Cartier watches in general because of how they look. I tend to look at aesthetics first and foremost. How big the dial is on my hand, does it go with my style - features and comfort are lower on my list lol. Also a huge fan of Bulgari Serpenti. I do want to get one automatic/manual winding watch though, ideally a vintage one, either an AP or Patek. Just because of the cool factor!

Thank you @AllAboardTheBlingTrain for your thoughts and details about your thought process in deciding on watches. I don't really have a process and haven't seriously thought about buying more than one, at least not until realizing how many different combinations there are. I think a large part of my issue is that I am forcing this piece to be "everything". It needs to serve every purpose, functionally, visually and emotionally, and that's why it's so hard. Not to say such a piece does not exist, but it may be hard to identify and find.

I have to give myself permission to potentially have more than one watch, and then I won't put so much pressure on this piece. First and foremost, I think I just need to love it. I will give more thought to being open as I see more pieces.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thrilled to find this thread as I’m in the process of a nearly identical search! I agree that the 31mm is just perfection on your tiny wrist. My wrist is 6in and I’m trying to choose between the 34mm and 36mm sizes. I’m impressed you were able to find so many to try on, I’ve not had the same luck. Did you visit multiple ADs? Or got lucky with one that actually had stock?

Don’t want to threadjack, but if you don’t mind I’d love to hear more about what you don’t like about the pink? At the moment I’m between that and silver (and not able to try either on!) I’ve seen pictures where it’s a much lighter/softer pink that in your pictures, do you feel that your pictures are fairly representative of color? Or it looks darker in pictures with the flash? Would love to see any more you have.

Will be following as you have exquisite taste, and I always find your posts and thought process so similar to my own thinking. Good luck in your search!

Hi @QueenofDiamonds33 , thank you for your thoughts and comments. Seems like most people like the 31 on me. I think that will be my first choice. I visited multiple ADs to find the pieces. I didn't love the pink because it was a warm pink, and I think the color blended into my natural skin tone too much. I'm definitely on the warm side as well. So with it blending, it just didn't seem to stand out, pop. I think if a person was more fair, the pink would stand out more. And I don't love warm pink. I prefer the brighter more opaque pink.

I'll try to post more pics.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LLJsmom, it took me a while to figure out my own likes/dislikes, but am happy with what I have--at the moment lol.

I too, thought I'd also like the everose, but it didn't like me. Love it on others when I see it though!

Have fun with the process. We ended up at the Rolex Boutique in Chicago for the diamond bezel purchase, it was my first & only choice, so it wasn't that hard of a decision--but really enjoyed trying on all the different models. The white 31 was a bit more of a decision process, as I loved a few other combo's equally. The nice thing about Rolex though, is the trade in option if you find yourself with something you can live without.

I love the clean look of a white face too, but it is so hard. Rolex has so many beautiful colors--like your SS & mint green choice, it is so sleek looking--can't wait to see it on your arm! :)

Hi @sarahb so funny that you thought you would like the everose but it didn't wow you. It didn't wow me either. But again, it may be the color combo. My initial first choice a week ago was the everose and steel plus a slate dial because it looked pretty in pics. But in the end, I'm firstly a white metal kinda girl. I will try to remember to enjoy the process. It's just hard being patient and not having a process to follow. I'll post any pics that I can.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lack of Rolex availability is SO frustrating, but I am excited for you @LLJsmom !! You will find your perfect watch.

It sounds like your current 26s may already cover the more dressy category, so this 31mm will be your every day watch? Have you decided for sure between the fluted bezel + jubilee bracelet versus smooth bezel + oyster bracelet? In looking at the pictures above, either combination looks great on you. To me the smooth bezel + oyster looks more casual while the fluted + jubilee is more dressy, although either one would look great with jeans, etc.

I love the mint green one you have on order! I think that seeing the dial will help you decide how you feel about having a colored dial versus one that is more neutral. For a watch I want to wear every day I would probably lean more towards either the silver dial or the dark grey dial (although I do think the mint green is very versatile, as colored faces go). The silver dial is obviously more monochromatic so I think it depends on how much contrast you are looking for with the watch face. I recall seeing some pics of it on that Rolex thread from the other forum about purses and it seems to look better in person and be super pretty and shimmery:

Silver Face.PNG

Since you liked the black face, I wonder if you might also like the dark grey option? More contrast and I think I've also seen pics of this on that other forum:

Dark Grey Face.PNG

And then my last thought for now, just because I love Rolex's everose gold so much, is that maybe you would like the two-tone version if you picked a dial that has more contrast than the one you tried on in the store? Here is the TT with the slate dial:

TT Slate.PNG

And this is totally personal preference, but I prefer your choice of the stick markers over diamond markers. I obviously love diamonds haha, but the stick markers are a super clean look and it seems like that is the vibe you are going for with this watch (in addition to readability concerns). But of course, there are tons of gorgeous configurations that are more dressy with the MOP + diamonds, etc...

Ok! I think those are all my thoughts for now :)

Hey @SandyK Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I think you get the wave length I'm on. When I first started looking I was all about the purple and jewel tones. But as I kept looking I started to realize the classic colors are quite stunning as well, and I would not tire of them as quickly. I hope the mint is light enough to be neutral, and also bright enough to pop but not too bright to make the dial look small. If this is not available or turns out not to be what I want, I will request the sticks with the silver dial, with WG and fluted bezel. I LOVE the sticks, more every time I see them. They are so precise and cute, and love the white outline. I've seen pics on IG and the silver dial looks very pretty and I think it would pop on me since I am more tanned.

I really wish I could see the difference between slate and dark gray. But I did get a chance to see the slate IRL, and it's darker than I would like. It's on the wimbledon edition of this datejust. It's darker than I prefer for a watch face. But who knows if it's with everose? See how it's so hard to be sure?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and I meant to also say that for me, I'm pretty set on the DJ below (probably going to get it towards the end of this year, but want to try and visit a few more stores to try on whatever is available to be sure). I've had my eye on this combination forever, as (1) I love rose gold in general and Rolex's everose is just so pretty, (2) the jubilee bracelet looks like a piece of jewelry to me, (3) I really like the classic white face + roman numerals look. If I never got another watch I think I would be fine with the below, as I think it can be dressed up and dressed down.

My DJ.PNG

And while spending way too much time over on that other Rolex thread I mentioned, I saw a picture of someone with a tiny wrist rocking the 37 mm YM below, and I was surprised that I loved the look! I think the option below would be fun as a more casual watch, if I were going to add a second Rolex. (My wrist is bigger than yours, so that gives me a little more wiggle room in terms of the bigger watches)

My YM.PNG

I am a little bummed that Rolex doesn't make the smaller size YMs anymore, as there are some really cool combinations that make for a fun, more casual watch! E.g. I love this slate dial with the pop of blue:

1621873726840.png

I also considered the everose with the white face and roman numerals. But since I wasn't crazy about the everose, that's off the list for now. I saw it in 36. I do think that seeing it in the right size makes a big difference as well. I also tried the 29 yachtmaster, which I found too small. And the next size up is 35, so that's too big. I am so sad about that because I love the yachtmaster. So cool. I also love the explorer, but again, too big for me. I will try to find an excuse to buy it for my DH and then I'll somehow borrow it.

So I'm back to the 31. But yeah, if I can hang tough and not buy anything until I get a response on the WG and mint green dial with the fluted bezel, I would be glad. Waiting is hard... :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sarahb Love your 31's with Roman Numerals and the one you're looking at @SandyK ! I also have looked at that other thread, @SandyK!

I think what I don't like is the rose gold dial on the everose bracelet watch. I think it looks much better with silver, gray, or white dials.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am pulling out some pictures of when I tried on Rolex watches in the past. It is extremely hard to narrow it down to one! I do think jubilee can look more dressy, but I also love the casualness of the oyster bracelet. My disclaimer is that I rarely wear the watches I have, but for some reason, I still desire a Rolex! So I am coming along for the ride with you, @LLJsmom !

These are all 31s. The first picture has my Cartier Tank Francaise on the left. The Rolex has the silver dial which I have always thought was beautiful in the jubilee.

2013-09-13 13.14.21.jpg

Comparison of the same Rolex with the Cartier Ballon Bleu, another favorite (but I think this might be the 28 and I like the 33 better in that one)

2013-09-13 13.01.58.jpg

Here are some with oyster bracelets. The first one, I believe, belongs to @canuk-gal (Sharon). I like hers and I like the same watch with a black dial.

Rolex.sharon.jpg

rolex1.jpg

rolex2.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@LLJsmom I hope the mint green one gets here soon!! Do you have any sense of the timing yet? I went back and looked at all of your pictures again, and you are definitely right about the white metals looking best on you and also creating the look you are going for. I'm really excited to hear how you like the green dial and to see pics - I don't think mint green is a very good name for that color haha. It looks more like a lighter olive/army green to me, which is about as close as you can get to a neutral color (and not actually be a neutral color), so I think it is very promising!

My husband has an Explorer and a Batman and I have fun playing with them, but yeah they are definitely too big, although lately I've been wondering if I should go with a 36 instead of 31mm DJ. I need to measure my wrist again, is it possible that pregnancy makes even your wrists get bigger haha, even if your last baby is already 1.5 years old....sadly my fingers definitely got bigger! Ahh. I think my wrist is now about 6.25 inches.

And also, I love all of the extra pictures in this thread! @diamondseeker2006 @sarahb
This is turning out to be a good reference thread.

Okay and @diamondseeker2006 I think you have to get a Rolex this year, just to make it the ULTIMATE year for all jewelry basics :D:D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom I hope the mint green one gets here soon!! Do you have any sense of the timing yet? I went back and looked at all of your pictures again, and you are definitely right about the white metals looking best on you and also creating the look you are going for. I'm really excited to hear how you like the green dial and to see pics - I don't think mint green is a very good name for that color haha. It looks more like a lighter olive/army green to me, which is about as close as you can get to a neutral color (and not actually be a neutral color), so I think it is very promising!

My husband has an Explorer and a Batman and I have fun playing with them, but yeah they are definitely too big, although lately I've been wondering if I should go with a 36 instead of 31mm DJ. I need to measure my wrist again, is it possible that pregnancy makes even your wrists get bigger haha, even if your last baby is already 1.5 years old....sadly my fingers definitely got bigger! Ahh. I think my wrist is now about 6.25 inches.

And also, I love all of the extra pictures in this thread! @diamondseeker2006 @sarahb

Okay and @diamondseeker2006 I think you have to get a Rolex this year, just to make it the ULTIMATE year for all jewelry basics :D:D

I totally thought the same thing about the "mint green"! What an odd choice of a name for that color!

I am at the point of being ready to buy once I make a decision (although keep in mind I waited 8 years to decide on a ring setting! :lol: Life is fleeting and I am not getting younger. So maybe there'll be a watch this year! My main concern is whether I'd wear one enough to justify it!

I'll enjoy @LLJsmom's journey and hopefully will learn more from her experience figuring out what she wants and how to get it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 I love the pics and they are so helpful to try to get an idea of how a watch looks on your hand. I am loving the white and neutral silver faces of the watches you tried. It's helpful when we can't try enough of these watches IRL. I also love a pure white face with the white roman numerals. It's a shame they can't make the numeral luminescent. :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know @SandyK I agree. It's so funny that Rolex calls it mint green. It looks more olive to me. But when I talked to an SA, they said it was definitely brighter than olive. And I saw the day-date in green, and they said it was "brighter" than that shade. So at this point I can only rely on their opinion, people who have seen it. And if it leans more olive, maybe I will still like it. Maybe it will work. So what can I do but cross my fingers and hope to see one. LOL!!! ...Rolex... You're killing me...

If only my wrist was big enough to accommodate a submariner or an explorer, I would be all over it. I am especially in love with the explorer white face. Sigh...

Yes, it would be so fun if @diamondseeker2006 picks up a Rolex this year. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results