shape
carat
color
clarity

need help sorting out a canadian mess!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyley

Rough_Rock
i'll be purchasing a canadian produced diamond "guilt free" but i'm hoplessly lost. here area series of questions i hope someone can answer (i've done extensive research on the net to no avail):

1)are the only canadian diamonds those coming out of the EKATI mine. if so then who is the operator and to whom do they sell. i get a lot of conflicting info but near as i can tell, whoever runs it (BMP?) only sells to Deten'cho and Arslanian (whoever they are). i don't know where the diamonds go then but at least some go to Sirius (who make polar bears in rounds and fancies), Ekati (who make hearts and arrows only?)and maybe Tundra (i can't tell where their diamonds come from or what kinds they make). is everything done in yellowknife, NWT? are there more companies? are there canadian diamonds getting out of canada and being cut in other countries and subsequently branded under different names?

2)finding retailers of canadians who will disclose prices is even more difficult. it's very difficult to comparison shop. quality wise, how do the canadians compare (the diamonds, not the people)? is the price outrageous compared to diamonds with other origins? do the cutters produce good finished pieces? any recommendations on a us supplier with more than one brand to choose from?

3)regarding a net purchase, is there a site or dealer anyone can recommend with a wide selection of canadian diamonds. i'm looking for a 0.75-1.25 carat princess cut and really prefer quality over price and size (within reason). if at all possible i'd like to spend $5,000(US) with an absolute max of $10,000.

4)finally and completely off-topic...regarding a princess cut, my girlfriend and i love the cut but is it an accepted engagement ring
choice. any suggestions on settings? any opinions on the "ideal" cut? i prefer simple solitaire rings and she prefers a setting that isn't too high. any suggestions are welcome.

if you can answer any or all of these questions i'll be forever in your debt and if you want to do business i'll be happy to talk.

thanks in advance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ekati is the only mine operational at this stage.
Your research to date is pretty good - BHP Biliton sell direct thru www.aurias.com but they are not cheap.
If you want I could get you a stone from here in Oz (they are an Australian company).
You can find the fancy cut recomandations on the tutorial page.

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
One other company using Canadian rough is EightStar. Aside from recuts I think they are only using Canadian rough these days, though you should confirm with them directly about a specific diamond you may be interested in.

tyley

Rough_Rock
why are princess cut diamonds cheaper per carat? less cost/time for the cutter? does the flat face show more imperfections thus a similar clarity stone "looks" worse?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
because princess cut has the best weight retention. On the other hand, princess is much deeper (less spready) than round cut. Hence a 1 carat princess will look smaller than 1 carat round.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should have mentioned 8* as a cutter of Ekati James - but 8* do not cut princess cuts.
Princess cuts are indeed better yeilding - a piece of rough that produces an 80 point round can yeild a 1ct princess. So naturally the princess price is less - but still more than I think it should be.
Rounds are the best.
But that is just my opinion.

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Garry - I'd missed the princess cut part and you're right that EightStar doesn't cut them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results