shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help - side-stones for engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jonbol

Rough_Rock
I am putting together a 3-stone engagement ring for my girlfriend - its a suprise. The look will be like this Tiffany ring - Round center and 2 pear sides but in Yellow Gold: http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/engagement/engagement.aspx?style=round_brilliant&ring=pear

I''ve picked out the center diamond - a 1.05 ct. round. However, I am trying to determine what size the pear sides should be. The default OTC ring I am using is .15 ct. each (.3 total ct. weight), but I have the option to pay extra to customize this and go up on carat size. Does .15 carats seem too small? I do want something that will complement the center diamond and not take away from it, but at the same time I want a nice looking balance. Can anyone give me recommendations on the sides? Is it worth spending extra $$ to go up to a .25 ct., for example?

Thanks,
R

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was discussed in another thread the other day. I love the Tiffany RB/pear sides btw. My jeweller said to go slightly less than a third the size of the center stone, perhaps closer to one quarter the size. Just personal opinion though. I would go with the .25 each or .50 total ctw sides if I were you. You want to showcase the main stone, but you don''t want the side stones too small either.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I might be in the minority on this, but I like the center diamond to be bigger than the side stones. For me, it will look like an anniversary ring, but if you like that Tiffany ring, then I agree with Lyra. get the .25 side stones.

jonbol

Rough_Rock
Well I definitely want the center to stand out since I am getting a very nice stone. So are you recommending the .15 over the .25 in general?

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Hi! If you are interested in what the proportions would look like, my ring is a RB center (1.28) and .25 carat pear sides. If you click on my name, you''ll find my post with pics. I think my proportions are perfect but it is all personal preferance. I think .15 would look great with a 1.05 carat round but I might go up to .25 sides if I had the option.

MonkeyDog

Rough_Rock
I know nothing, lol, except what I like. To me, larger side stones compete with the center stone while the smaller stones accent it. I agree with the previous poster that it could end up looking a bit more like the popular anniversary rings. Not a bad thing, but a little different look to my way of thinking.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 5:36:53 PM
Author: heraanderson
I might be in the minority on this, but I like the center diamond to be bigger than the side stones. For me, it will look like an anniversary ring, but if you like that Tiffany ring, then I agree with Lyra. get the .25 side stones.
ditto- I prefer the center being the center of attention... others prefer the 3 stones to be close in size.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 3 stone engagement ring (.92 RB with .20 pear sides in a trellis setting) and I love it. The proportions look very good to me. I posted pics of it in SMTR. I probably could have gone up to .25 but I like how the .20 pears look. Since your center diamond is larger than mine, I recommend going with .20 or .25 if possible.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 5:36:53 PM
Author: heraanderson

i agree 100%!!! I would stick with the .15

jonbol

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the feedback. After reviewing comments, I am thinking about going up to .2 sides (.4 tcw) but not any higher. I really want the center stone to be the focus of the ring, so I''d like th err on the side of smaller pears instead of larger ones. My question is, is it worth paying the extra $ to for diamond size and re-work fee to go up to the .4 tcw sides from the .3 tcw? E-rings are tough b/c i can''t see the ring to compare the stones side-by-side and decide. I did find this pic looking around of a ring that is very similar to mine - 1.03 center round and .44 tcw pear sides. Essentially this would be my ring with 20 pointers. Do you guys think the 20 pts on this ring complement the center enough or should I stick with the 15 point sides to be safe?
Thanks so much

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, that looks lovely. I''d definitely go for that. I forgot to ask what is her ring size? On a small finger, that is going to look really stunning. (I have icky large fingers, but I''m old too)
2.gif
I honestly think it''s worth the extra money, as long as you''re getting a fair deal and all.

jonbol

Rough_Rock
She has a 5 3/4 ring size. Thanks.

jonbol

Rough_Rock
Oops - here is the picture again

ring -.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that (the picture you posted)! It looks great!! It''s a little hard to tell since it''s not a completely head on view but I get the overall look. I''d go with that instead of .15, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results