shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help selecting diamond ~0.8c

hbs

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I posted about a week ago without really having done much proper looking. Managed to find a couple of diamonds that I like the look of and have now got hold of idealoscope images. Number 1 is the front runner for me - faces up bigger, whiter and to my untrained eye the idealoscope looks better.They are round brillian cut and I've been assured they are both eye-clean. Just wanted to hear a more educated opinion on them, some alternatives if people think I could do better and, as I have a while before I actually need to buy, whether its worth holding out for when more stock comes in or to bite the bullet now. Both are basically the same price at ~$3000.

Diamond 1
COLOR: H
CLARITY: SI2 (GIA clarity characteristics: twinning wisp)
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.10*6.13*3.63
DEPTH %: 59.40
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 59.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 32.50
CROWN %: 13.00
PAVILION ∠: 40.80

Diamond 2
COLOR: I
CLARITY: SI1 (GIA cert char: cloud, feather, crystal)
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.01*6.05*3.65
DEPTH %: 60.50
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 58.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 33.50
CROWN %: 14.00
PAVILION ∠: 40.80

diamond_79.jpg

diamond_80.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I see the links to the stones?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color metal are you setting this in?

hbs

Rough_Rock
White - probably white gold rather than platinum as I've spent more of the budget on the diamond than expected

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hbs|1452605615|3974693 said:
White - probably white gold rather than platinum as I've spent more of the budget on the diamond than expected
I do like the I but with the brown undertone I wouldn't put that in white metal

How much is your remaining budget for the setting?

Don't forget if you live in the US you can do this to save a little

http://www.jamesallen.com/referfriend/?mobile=off

hbs

Rough_Rock
What is it about the I that's better than the H to make you like it more? Neither myself, my girlfriend or any of our friends have any clue about diamonds so as long as it looks nice and sparkles I don't think its going to be scrutinised too much from the sides (which I believe is where colour difference really comes into play?)

Unfortunately live in the UK so referral's not an option.

I was thinking max $1000 for the setting, preferably less, and especially as its a surprise engagement so I don't spend a fortune on something she might want reset in the future. Currently leaning towards this setting in 14k wg at the moment - still not too sure what the benefits are of 18k vs 14k gold. And is there any other plus to platinum apart from avoiding any potential relating in the future?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hbs|1452609906|3974732 said:

There are some benefits to 14k, even though it's less actual gold. White gold is covered in rhodium. This makes the metal whiter. It also wears off. 14k itself is whiter. So when the rhodium wears off its less noticeable.

Platinum doesn't get plated. So it will not need replating. Also, its a little hefty, and it doesn't wear off when its polished like gold does. So for a long wear ring platinum is a good idea. But its not required, I mean, my ring isn't.

I understand you're trying to go for size while still being white, and these diamonds may not be the first choice of extremely picky diamond people, I dont think they are bad choices. I can see your plan was to compromise just a little in all areas to get a nice ring, and I don't think that's a bad idea at all.

Sense its a surprise, do we know if she has a nickel allergy? If we have no idea, don't buy white gold (it has nickel in it) And does it have to have diamonds in it? I think it'll look a higher quality with some of their plain solitaire rings rather than this one with a little bit of diamonds

hbs

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend wears other white gold jewelry so not too worried about nickel allergy.

Unfortunately like you say I'm trying to get the best for what my budget allows - I'm happy to compromise on size and go slightly smaller (min ~0.7ct) if you think that would mean the overall look of the diamond (and therefore the ring) would be better.

I realise this isn't smaller but I've also spotted this diamond:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3502542.htm?source=pricescope
Obviously colour is the compromise here, but as she doesn't have any other diamond jewelery would a J really be so noticeable?

I realise all of this is very subjective but just trying to get as many (educated) opinions as possible before making the biggest purchase of my life so far!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking, sense she hasn't seen a j, we don't know if she's color sensitive or not, we may want to stay I or above, you know?
Would you be opposed to shopping at blue Nile? If so, I may haw much are you willing to spend, including vat, in GBP

hbs

Rough_Rock
My only issue with blue Nile is not having any pictures, but if eye clean could be assured then no problem.

Diamond & setting maximum £3000

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hbs|1452623957|3974835 said:
My only issue with blue Nile is not having any pictures, but if eye clean could be assured then no problem.

Diamond & setting maximum £3000
Luckily you're shopping for rounds, so you can with some certainty pick a nice one I'd you use the right parameters.

Let me see

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about this stone (go to blue Nile and look it up, their links never work)

LD06563608

Of the settings in your budget is suggest one of these two. The soli is a classic and can go with all sorts of bands, a safe bet. The pave one is very cute and I've seen it in person, it was very nice. I'd suggest the soli sense you're on a budget and its a suprise.

photogrid_1452626342904.jpg

hbs

Rough_Rock
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, hectic shift at work!

Sizewise and pricewise it looks ideal! I suppose the only thing holding me back is not being able to see what I'm buying, but you're the expert here and if it's a diamond you would consider buying yourself then I'm all in!

Do you have any idea of the best way to send the money to Blue Nile without being hit by dodgy exchange rates - I've sent money abroad via my bank before and been a bit stung.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hbs|1452721458|3975612 said:
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, hectic shift at work!

Sizewise and pricewise it looks ideal! I suppose the only thing holding me back is not being able to see what I'm buying, but you're the expert here and if it's a diamond you would consider buying yourself then I'm all in!

Do you have any idea of the best way to send the money to Blue Nile without being hit by dodgy exchange rates - I've sent money abroad via my bank before and been a bit stung.

Sometimes I'd you aks then they will provide you a photo.

I don't like to do bank transfers, they make me uncomfortable and in in the US.

hbs

Rough_Rock
Like you said, they have a photo - I don't think it has any visible inclusions but I've attached it. No idealoscope unfortunately.

So with all the info I have at hand and the situation I'm in (UK based, max budget £2500 for diamond) would this be a stone you would buy? Sorry if I'm coming across as lacking a bit of confidence with this (probably because I'm utterly lost with all the info on this site!) but I'm basically ready to send the money and just need a little push to reassure me that I'm buying right and will end up with a ring my girlfriend can treasure forever.

Thanks for all your help, I really mean it. I've decided to go with the soli, its understated and makes the diamond the centre of attention. It also means that I'll have time to save up and we can design a custom setting together in the future if there's a different style that takes her fancy.

ld06563608-.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hbs|1453203882|3977837 said:
Like you said, they have a photo - I don't think it has any visible inclusions but I've attached it. No idealoscope unfortunately.

So with all the info I have at hand and the situation I'm in (UK based, max budget £2500 for diamond) would this be a stone you would buy? Sorry if I'm coming across as lacking a bit of confidence with this (probably because I'm utterly lost with all the info on this site!) but I'm basically ready to send the money and just need a little push to reassure me that I'm buying right and will end up with a ring my girlfriend can treasure forever.

Thanks for all your help, I really mean it. I've decided to go with the soli, its understated and makes the diamond the centre of attention. It also means that I'll have time to save up and we can design a custom setting together in the future if there's a different style that takes her fancy.

Yes I think it looks great!

I like the idea of the soli. It's the safest route and it will go with just about any wedding band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results