shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help redesigning my double-halo e-ring.

missmelee

Rough_Rock
Attached is a photo of my e-ring, which my fiance and I had custom-designed. I had been going back and forth between a double and single halo, and in the end the designer convinced me that a double halo would be more unique. He reassured me that if for any reason I didn't like the final product, he would make me a new ring. I've been wearing the ring for a few months now, and can't decide how I feel about it. In many ways I think it's beautiful, particularly in certain light when it has lots of sparkle, and I love the overall shape ... but there is something about it that just seems a bit "off." In natural light when there is no sparkle, the halo seems so large that it takes away from the center stone. I want to find a way to make the halo smaller. I can't decide whether the side-stones in the halos are too big (they are 1.2 mm) or whether it is the design itself that is bothering me -- e.g. whether two rows of melee on the same wire, as opposed to two wires, would have been more to my liking. I also wonder whether I would have preferred single cut, as opposed to full cut, side stones. I think I am going to end up having the ring redesigned. Here are the options I am weighing:

1) Same design with smaller, single-cut side-stones (probably 1 mm, as opposed to the current 1.2 mm size).
2) Two rows of side-stones with the same general shape except not on separate wires, so the stones would be closer together. In this case I am torn about what size side-stones would be best.
3) A more rounded halo with two rows of diamonds, similar to this, but with the band remaining the same: http://artofplatinum.com/vault/halo-style-diamond-rings
4) Single halo with millgrain, e.g.: http://artofplatinum.com/vault/platinum-engagement-ring,, or maybe with a side-row of micropave, e.g.: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/annette-contemporary-micro-pave-halo-engagement-ring-bpid-93-15.html
5) Single halo without millgrain, e.g.: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/emily-micro-pave-halo-engagement-ring-bpid-239-15.html

It is clear from this posting that I am completely torn about the direction to take here. I feel almost as if I'm back to square one. Any input would be much appreciated.

IMG_1357.JPG

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
If you go down to just one halo, do you think you'll miss the finger coverage? I would maybe avoid going with option 4 or 5 because of this. And if you're unhappy with the look of your ring now, options 1 and 2 might not work either. I think I would go with option 3, its sort of a compromise between the styles you like and I think its absolutely gorgeous!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer 4 and 5- very beautiful and still gives the main focus to your center stone :)

missmelee

Rough_Rock
One of my issues with my jeweler is that, despite his great skill, he doesn't do any computer-generated imaging of the ring before he makes it. Since I am not an expert, I've had a very hard time conveying my ideas to him. Is there some sort of computer program or service that I could use to sketch out the parameters of the design before I submit it to the jeweler? I'd like to be able to envision what 1mm side stones would look like versus 1.2mm, and so forth ... any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, regarding option number 3 above, do people think it would look alright with a single row of pave on the band (instead of the triple row on the leon mege example)?

Thanks!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
missmelee said:
One of my issues with my jeweler is that, despite his great skill, he doesn't do any computer-generated imaging of the ring before he makes it. Since I am not an expert, I've had a very hard time conveying my ideas to him. Is there some sort of computer program or service that I could use to sketch out the parameters of the design before I submit it to the jeweler? I'd like to be able to envision what 1mm side stones would look like versus 1.2mm, and so forth ... any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, regarding option number 3 above, do people think it would look alright with a single row of pave on the band (instead of the triple row on the leon mege example)?

Thanks!

There are some PSers who could probably do a mock-up for you but I'm definitely not one of them.

And in regards to #3, I think I would prefer a single row of pave on the band.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you should go down to a single row halo (if you can handle less bling). I'm not sure if going from 1.2 to 1.0 size diamonds
in one halo will make a big difference in the overall size. It may make it look a little more refined though.

Honestly, I dont like the look of halo #3. It looks like a single halo to me but with diamonds on the side. Kind of like the
Annette but without the line of metal between the two rows of stones. A little to undefined for me.

I acutally like the way your ring looks now but if its to big then I would just drop off that second halo.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think your current ring is gorgeous but the important thing is that you love it!

There are SO many examples of pictures of halos on PS, I am sure you can find one to show to your jeweler. You could also retain the 'double halo' but have one halo on the 'top' and one on the 'side' (I can't find a picture right now)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should love your ring!! Check out the collection of halos thread. The link is posted in the SMTR helpful threads archive.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I think changing it to a single halo with or without millgrain is a good idea.

This is just a statement of my personal taste: I've never liked double halos. I view them as "overkill." A single halo, when done right, can provide a beautiful "frame" for your center diamond and increase finger coverage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results