shape
carat
color
clarity

need help picking sidestones for 3 stone ring

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I'm finally ready to get my three stone ring reset project underway. I already have my center stone but need help picking out sidestones. I'm looking for stones between .33 and .4 carats. I'd like to go as big as I can within my budget of $1200 for sidestones, but also maximize quality. My center stone is an H in color so I I've been looking at stones on Brian Gavin Diamonds with that color range. Do you think I could also get away with a G or not? Should both sidestones be the same color grade or can you get away with a G and H? I want an ideal cut stone, but am unsure what other numbers to be paying attention to. What clarity grade should I stick to? I don't mind if the stone has inclusions as long as I can't see them with my own eye! Is there a big difference between Brian Gavin's Signature Select ideal stones and other ideal stones he lists?

Thanks so much for your help!

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Sorry everyone, I should have also specified that I'm looking for round sidestones. Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
where are you getting the setting made? it is probably easiest for the vendor to source the sidestones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is your centre?

Remember smaller stones will look less tinted than larger stones of the same colour grade. If your sides and centre will be of the same size (or almost) I'd say you'll be fine w/ Hs and Gs, esp since you've chosen RBs, if your centre is quite a bit larger I actually recommend choosing a pair of Is to keep to the same face-up apparent colour. You get more size, too, which is a nice bonus.

ETA: I don't remember if you're going with a specific vendor? But lots of vendors do charge to set stones not bought from them, and there are other hassles (like insuring the stones for setting/shipping), so it's best to try to get your sides from the same vendor if possible.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1304282358|2909367 said:
How big is your centre?

Remember smaller stones will look less tinted than larger stones of the same colour grade. If your sides and centre will be of the same size (or almost) I'd say you'll be fine w/ Hs and Gs, esp since you've chosen RBs, if your centre is quite a bit larger I actually recommend choosing a pair of Is to keep to the same face-up apparent colour. You get more size, too, which is a nice bonus.

ETA: I don't remember if you're going with a specific vendor? But lots of vendors do charge to set stones not bought from them, and there are other hassles (like insuring the stones for setting/shipping), so it's best to try to get your sides from the same vendor if possible.

Ditto all of this. Size of center? Where will you get the setting?

I will be resetting my solitaire into a three stone soon too, and opted to have it set by the company that sold me the sides to save a little on setting fees (only one fee instead of two) and so that the company will take responsibility for damage to the side stones which are not presently insure\ds (my center stone is in a ring and insured).

So perhaps buy the sides from the company who will make your setting.

PS: I would likely look for H or I, SI1 stones in that size range.

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your feedback. I'm actually working with Brian Gavin for the setting, which is why I've been looking on their site for stones. I'm sure they will be able to recommend some pairs, but just want to educate myself a bit on what I should look for and how to maximize my dollar. Is there a visible difference between such small size differences as say .31 carats vs. .34?

Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lasposa|1304288036|2909432 said:
Thanks for all your feedback. I'm actually working with Brian Gavin for the setting, which is why I've been looking on their site for stones. I'm sure they will be able to recommend some pairs, but just want to educate myself a bit on what I should look for and how to maximize my dollar. Is there a visible difference between such small size differences as say .31 carats vs. .34?

Thanks!

Then let Brain suggest sides for you. No, you will not see a size difference between .31 and .34. Maybe between .30 and .35 when side by side... but you would need to hit about .40 to start seeing the difference IMO.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lasposa|1304288036|2909432 said:

Thanks!

Depends on the actual mm difference, btwn ct wts that similar not a chance if they are similarly proportioned, but btwn quite deep and shallow then quite possibly. You also might see a size difference loose, which disappears when you set the stones.. and you can set stones so that they look bigger or smaller. My old cut stones, which are set into 8prong studs, look considerably bigger than my ring's sidestones (in three prongs wedged under the center), even though the stud stones are about 0.15mm smaller diameter

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would totally trust BGD to pick out a matching pair of side stones. Once they have your stone in hand they could view the colors side by side.

I have (0.35 ct) I, J, and K from BGD and I can tell the difference between the I and K. But I can't really see much difference between the I and J or the J and K. If they are next to each other one step up or down would be my range.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am more obsessive and want the colors to all match in a ring 8) Mind clean thing for me. In little guys like this, the price difference is so small for the color shift from G-I, that it is worth matching the center for my mind.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3 stone RB (.35, .70, .37), all the diamonds are BGD Signature stones. Both sidestones are an I colour and the centre is a J, and I cannot tell the difference, they all face up beautifully and evenly white. Trust Brian and Lesley to match some stones for you, you can't go wrong! 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results