shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
I''m making my ering purchase today!
I''m so jittery and excited
32.gif
The diamond will either be a .92 or 1.13 ct RB.

Just need help picking out the setting.I want to upgrade this in 1-2 years, so I am going with a very simple setting for the time being.

Please give me your opinions between the following two settings:

18k wg 4 prong 2mm comfort fit
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/2mm-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

or

18k wg 6 prong basket
http://www.jamesallen.com/Rings/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire-Settings/18k-White-Gold-Six-Prong-Basket-Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Ring/

**This setting''s description says, "This elegant ring features a scalloped six-prong head on a knife-edge shank." What does "knife-edge shank" mean??

Which one should I pick? (Personally, I am a little partial to the 6 prong. I seemed to like it just a little bit more than the 4 prong when I was trying on rings at a local jewelry store. But, I could go either way). Or should I go with a different one altogether? Open to any suggestions.

*** If anyone has pictures of either setting, that would help me out so much, too!
Thanks everyone in advance!
12.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Love the six prong! It is elegant and classic. I think you would be happy for it for as long as you wear it!

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 10:40:54 AM
Author: Upgradable
Love the six prong! It is elegant and classic. I think you would be happy for it for as long as you wear it!

It really is. I hope the real thing looks like the computerized picture version. I haven''t heard too much about JA''s settings (at least from what I could find in my research here). But, since I''ll be getting a different setting relatively soon, I''m not too worried about it.

Thanks, Upgradable!
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Knife edge means instead of being completly rounded on top it comes to a subtle point - classic example is the tiffany 6-prong solitaire :).

I am personally a fan of 6-claws so that would be my pick.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for six-prong, too. But, the picture doesn''t look like it has the knife-edge. Not a big fan of knife-edge...uncomfortable, to me.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m probably in the minority but I prefer the 4 prong. I think alot of people like the security of the 6 prong. I guess I felt that less prong is more diamond. Either would look great
35.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 11:41:09 AM
Author: MMT
I''m probably in the minority but I prefer the 4 prong. I think alot of people like the security of the 6 prong. I guess I felt that less prong is more diamond. Either would look great
35.gif

I agree I always loved 4 prong better than 6 but it''s just a personal preference I suppose.

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Deelight- Oh... *duh
20.gif
. Silly me. I''ve tried on the Tiffany setting before, I should know this! Thanks for that.

Rock of Love- You''re right!! Judging from the pictures, it doesn''t seem to have that knife edge look. I''ll definitely have to check with JA about that b/c I am also not a big fan of the knife-edge feel around my fingers
40.gif

MMT and Namaste- Hm, so 4 prong seems to be more diamond, less prong to view.. something I will keep in mind. Thanks for your 2 cents!
4.gif

newbieD

Rough_Rock
Just heard back from JA.
Boy, are they quick in replying!!

The 6 prong solitaire DOES have the knife edge, but they are more than happy to do the comfort fit setting with 6 prongs at no additional cost
9.gif

Which is probably what I will end up doing!

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think the six prong is elegant and timeless!! You can''t go wrong with either, though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results