shape
carat
color
clarity

need help picking out a princess diamond for engagement ring

xodus8

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, so Im looking to buy a princess cut diamond my price range is about 9000$ max. I did some research online, size wise Im looking for something 1.7carat more. Id like the diamond not to look yellow and for it to be clarlity wise to have a clean eye look

Here is what I found so far are these prices good, and does it fit the criteria im looking for. Thank you

Price Cut Carat Color Clarity Measurements Depth Table Grade Company (All EGL is EGL USA Los Angeles)
6080 G 1.88 J VS2 7.03x6.59x4.84 73.4 77 EGL
6200 VG 1.87 J VS1 7.16x6.80x4.97 73.1 76 EGL
7100 E 2.01 J SI2 7.16x6.89x4.89 71 72 EGL
7350 G 1.84 F SI2 6.95x6.53x4.87 74.6 74 EGL
7575 E 1.7 F SI2 6.33x6.32x4.76 75.2 68 EGL
7550 E 1.71 I SI1 6.66x6.514.7 72.2 74 EGL
7775 E 1.82 J VS1 6.64x6.60x4.84 73.3 72 GIA
7800 VG 2.02 I SI2 6.69x6.54x5.04 77.1 64 EGL
8000 VG 2.12 I SI2 7.20x6.94x4.84 70.1 79 EGL
8275 E 1.89 G SI2 6.84x6.72x4.66 69.3 78 EGL

Thank you so much !!!

I have the actual certificates so if anyone wants to see them please let me know.

xodus8

Rough_Rock
Re: need help picking out a princess diamond for engagement

or if anyone else has any suggestions im all ears, kinda of in a little rush so waiting for all the replies.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

do you have images? you really need images to evaluate a princess cut.

also you will need the vendor to verify that the stones are eye-clean to your standards, SI2 may not be eye-clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1391406.asp
this one might be promising, you can request an ASET image which will tell you more about the light return

this one is 1.6 carat but looks AWESOME as far as cut.
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8735/

xodus8

Rough_Rock

I guess I can ask for the images most of these diamonds are from b2cjewels.com . I have the certificates for most of the diamonds I can post that if that would help. So im guessing EGL USA isnt that trustworthy ?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I am not sure if b2c provides images, check with them. Also you would want to make sure that you can get ASET images.

personally I would just get the one from GOG and be done with it :razz: but you can also do some digging. I would look for a smaller table (77 is probably too large, although the table is only one dimension)

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317776365|3033453 said:
I am not sure if b2c provides images, check with them. Also you would want to make sure that you can get ASET images.

personally I would just get the one from GOG and be done with it :razz: but you can also do some digging. I would look for a smaller table (77 is probably too large, although the table is only one dimension)

Hey you really seem you know diamonds, is there anyway we can chat possibly gchat ? My gchat is the same as my PS username. Thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock

we are not allowed to post personal contact information on PS :) but you can ask any questions on the forums and people can help you out!

http://vimeo.com/5239762
this video illustrates how important cut is with princess diamonds...which is why I would not buy without images/ASET images (unless you can find an AGS0 since AGS grades cut quality)

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317772037|3033364 said:
do you have images? you really need images to evaluate a princess cut.

also you will need the vendor to verify that the stones are eye-clean to your standards, SI2 may not be eye-clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1391406.asp
this one might be promising, you can request an ASET image which will tell you more about the light return

this one is 1.6 carat but looks AWESOME as far as cut.
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8735/

the 1.6 carat has a florescent, isnt that usually a bad thing ?

What are your thoughts about the diamonds I put up so far ??

slg47

Ideal_Rock

fluorescence is a matter of personal preference...some people like it and some don't...but faint fluorescence is essentially zero fluorescence and will not be visible in any lighting.

like I said before you really can't tell anything without images...but in general you want the table to be less than the depth.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317777928|3033483 said:
fluorescence is a matter of personal preference...some people like it and some don't...but faint fluorescence is essentially zero fluorescence and will not be visible in any lighting.

like I said before you really can't tell anything without images...but in general you want the table to be less than the depth.

I just now requested some images from b2cjewels they said they will try but cant promise anything

So even GIA with lets color I or better and and SI1 or better I still wont be safe with the clean eye look and not looking yellow ? Images are a must ?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

the problem is you don't know anything about cut.

these princess diamonds all have VG or better symmetry/polish, 72.5-73.5 depth, and 69.5-70.5 table but there are a lot of differences in appearance.

sametabledepth.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

slg47|1317778580|3033491 said:
the problem is you don't know anything about cut.

these princess diamonds all have VG or better symmetry/polish, 72.5-73.5 depth, and 69.5-70.5 table but there are a lot of differences in appearance.

That is a great example, slg, of why images are needed for fancy cuts. You just can't tell by numbers alone if something will be pleasing to your eye. An ASET image with lots of red, some green, and little blue, white, or black is what you're aiming for, I think, to know that you've got an excellent cut. The Good Old Gold stone would be my pick! Edited to add: plus it has Lifetime Guarantee so can be traded up for future upgrades, if desired.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I would definitely recommend staying away from EGL. Their grading standards are much more lenient than GIA or AGS.

If at all possible, go look at the diamonds in person. And as everyone has suggested, get photos if you can't! $8k is a lot to spend on something sight unseen! As the others have suggested, definitely look into the PS vendors. They are very reputable jewelers, with many happy customers that can attest to that right here! Unfortunately there are many jewelers out there who prey on customers who don't know much about diamonds.

Good luck! You seem to be in quite a rush, but please keep in mind that your partner will be wearing this for years to come--looking at is dozens of times every day. Take your time to find that beautiful stone that is both pleasing to the eye, as well as a good value.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the comments, my friend (not that close with) who works in the jewelry is offering me the following for 7800$

I will attach the certificate. I havent seen the stone myself

http://i.imgur.com/S3eHW.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I can't see the image...can you try uploading directly or copying the numbers from the report?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That one is out-of-square. LxW ratio is greater than 1.05

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317791915|3033616 said:
I can't see the image...can you try uploading directly or copying the numbers from the report?

GIA report # 17236820 carat 1.71

I have a question on the GIA reports or EGL USA reports they dont mention cut rating, but on the websites they say excellent or very good etc, these ratings the sites put are accurate?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cut is king. Period. The better the cut the whiter they will face up - if you are worried about "yellow" then don't go with a poorly cut J. There's no need for a VVS clarity either - unless it is a mind thing for you. You can get eye clean SI's, and the clarity has nothing to do with the performance of the diamond (in most cases - unless it is a lower I clarity for instance in which the inclusion is very large).

You've been given lots of recommendations here. The GOG stone looks great - I'd take that one hands down.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

xodus8 said:
slg47|1317791915|3033616 said:

GIA report # 17236820 carat 1.71

I have a question on the GIA reports or EGL USA reports they dont mention cut rating, but on the websites they say excellent or very good etc, these ratings the sites put are accurate?

no. the cut ratings are usually just based on table/depth and maybe symmetry/polish and do not reflect anything about the diamond's light performance. the only way to know that is from an AGS cut grade or an ASET image.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

Im actually very close to the gog store. If I go there would I be able to get a better price ? Another thing if Im paying sales tax it would be out of my price range then. Im willing to spend 9k but Id like something a bit bitter like 1.8 carat if possible.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock

To be honest, a well cut 1.8 ct stone is out of your price range and I would strongly recommend against sacrificing cut for size. I would get the 1.60 from GOG without hesitation. It will be an amazing stone.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

crbl999|1317829222|3033876 said:
To be honest, a well cut 1.8 ct stone is out of your price range and I would strongly recommend against sacrificing cut for size. I would get the 1.60 from GOG without hesitation. It will be an amazing stone.

Ok I will most likely get the GOG stone, I just remembered my cousins husband works in the 47th diamond district area. I asked him if he can possibly get me any kind of deal.

The GOG stone if I get it at the store would i be able to possibly get it for 8k cash out the door ?

The setting i want is something like this

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Prong-Pave-Set-Accent-Ring-18K-White-Gold-(1-2-cttw)-1810-1.aspx

What are your thoughts on the setting?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I doubt you can get a 'deal' on the GOG stone. there is a discount for paying by wire.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317830343|3033888 said:
I doubt you can get a 'deal' on the GOG stone. there is a discount for paying by wire.

I actually just called them they said some customer already has it on reserve :( they took my info down and are gonna call me if the customers decides not to get it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

as far as color? it is ok to go up or down a few color grades. I like the style of the setting but not the execution...I personally don't care for the non-integrated head and the pave style.

xodus8

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317835047|3033953 said:
as far as color? it is ok to go up or down a few color grades. I like the style of the setting but not the execution...I personally don't care for the non-integrated head and the pave style.

Like in the picture the two side stones are round which wouldnt match the center stone. It doesnt actually look bad that way but whats the general custom, should the two side stone also be princess ?

emeraldmurphy

Rough_Rock

slg47|1317830343|3033888 said:

Another issue that may affect total cost, is with a NY address, there will likely be sales tax, unless the shipping/delivery address can be in a different state?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results