shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking first pearl strand--lots of questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Birdwatcher

Rough_Rock
I am interested in purchasing a 7-8 or 8-9 mm (preferably) 18" white (with rose tones) CFWP strand, but am a bit confused about comparisons between different online vendors.

Pearl Paradise:
8-9 mm, AAA $382
7-8 mm, Freshadama $315
8.5-9 mm, Freshadama $830 [this is beyond my budget]

Pearls of Joy:
8-9 mm, Presidential $518
8-9 mm, AAA $375

The Pearl Outlet:
8.5-9 mm, Gem grade (Gemfresh) $350 on sale page

I noticed a previous thread comparing Freshadama with Presidentials. Can I assume that Freshadama = Presidential = GemFresh as far as quality? If so, it seems that the sale strands at TPO are a steal! It seems that there is a premium on the Freshadama brand. If I went with Freshadama, I''d only be getting a 7-8 mm strand which I''d consider if it is a much better quality.

Also, can I assume that AAA grade among the three vendors above would be comparable?

Finally, how much of a difference between the AAA grade and the "premium" brands? I don''t want to sacrifice quality for size, but if there is really no difference between the grades I''d rather save a few $$.

Thanks!
Birdy

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
From comments and pictures posted on the purse forum, PP has the best AAA and is about the same as TPO gem. POJ was noted to be the same here, but the pearls are smaller. From all I''ve heard, freshadamas are the best.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:31:34 PM
Author: Streeter1
From comments and pictures posted on the purse forum, PP has the best AAA and is about the same as TPO gem. POJ was noted to be the same here, but the pearls are smaller. From all I''ve heard, freshadamas are the best.
To make things a little more confusing ... I''ve actually found from my experience that the PP pearls tend to run small. Also, I was told by TPO that TPO gem were the same as PP freshadama. From what I''ve seen, it''s hard to tell freshadama, POJ presidential, and TPO gem apart. TPO uses the term gem and gemfresh (their brand of freshadama/presidential) interchangeably. However, if you really want orient, I''ve heard that freshadamas are the way to go.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably go with the 7-8mm Freshadama''s for an 18" strand. I might go with larger pearls for a 16".

Birdwatcher

Rough_Rock
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the 8.5-9 mm (18") Gemfresh/gem grade from the pearl outlet. After trying on various sizes of pearls in B&M stores, I am convinced that I like the slightly larger pearl size. Also, given the $500 difference between the Freshadama and the TPO gem grade sale selection, I thought I''d first try TPO especially since they have a good return policy. However, I''m considering ordering a small Freshadama strand in lavender to try out the line :)

I''ll be sure to post my impressions.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
BW, I can''t speak to the beauty of PP''s freshdama as I have never seen them first hand but I have purchased several strands from TPO and been extremely pleased with the quality, color, and luster. I hope you have the same results but as you noted, they do have a very good return policy.

If I could make a suggestion, ask to be placed on both of their mailing lists. You will get advance notice of sales and specials. The bargains are terrific!

Julie

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also considering getting the 8.5-9 Gemfresh strand. Please post neck shots when you get them!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think that all of the top lines are essentially similar, and that sometimes there is even a little variation in orient/roundness/etc. between strands of the same line. I found a customer''s comparison photos of the Presidential line compared to a Freshadama strand, and I found the Presidential to have more orient and be better looking, but Freshadama''s seem to have a cult following, and I think it might just depend on the strand that you get.

I have a AAA from Pearl Paradise, and I think it is just gorgeous and has beautiful orient.

And you do know that Pearl Outlet and Pearl Paradise are owned by two brothers? I am sure you have not gone wrong by ordering your Gemfresh strand, but you are right, they do have an excellent return policy! If I were you, I think I might have done the same thing, especially since theirs are 8.5-9mm instead of 8.0-9.0mm. Best of luck!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 6:00:41 PM
Author: brightlight

Date: 5/26/2009 4:31:34 PM
Author: Streeter1
From comments and pictures posted on the purse forum, PP has the best AAA and is about the same as TPO gem. POJ was noted to be the same here, but the pearls are smaller. From all I've heard, freshadamas are the best.
To make things a little more confusing ... I've actually found from my experience that the PP pearls tend to run small. Also, I was told by TPO that TPO gem were the same as PP freshadama. From what I've seen, it's hard to tell freshadama, POJ presidential, and TPO gem apart. TPO uses the term gem and gemfresh (their brand of freshadama/presidential) interchangeably. However, if you really want orient, I've heard that freshadamas are the way to go.
ditto. Well, I heard that the freshadamas and the gemfresh and presidential have the orient. My moms are from the Peal outlet and show the orient so I would guess they all should be the same. I do have a AAA strand and I see a few flaws that my freshadamas do Not have, there is a difference to my eyes though. I think they have blemishes up to 5% and the gem quality have 1% blemishes.

I would go with the either freshadamas, presidential or gemfresh. tell them the overtone you want, pink, pink silver, silver or ivory.
I think 7-8mm is great

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 9:26:53 PM
I''m also considering getting the 8.5-9 Gemfresh strand. Please post neck shots when you get them!
I have a friend who got these and they are gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif

solina

Rough_Rock
as i knew, freshwater pearl didn''t have official grade, many vendors just graded them by themselves, so it''s meaningless.
AAAA, AAA, gem, president......, it means the top grade in their company.

tevyk

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 9:15:17 PM
Author: Birdwatcher
Also, given the $500 difference between the Freshadama and the TPO gem grade sale selection, I thought I'd first try TPO especially since they have a good return policy. However, I'm considering ordering a small Freshadama strand in lavender to try out the line :)

Just curious... I looked around on TPO, and can't figure out where the $500 difference you're talking about is coming from?

8.5-9mm 18" Freshadama necklace at PP $830
8-9mm 18" Gemfresh necklace at TPO is $860

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 12:56:23 PM
Author: tevyk

Date: 5/26/2009 9:15:17 PM
Author: Birdwatcher
Also, given the $500 difference between the Freshadama and the TPO gem grade sale selection, I thought I''d first try TPO especially since they have a good return policy. However, I''m considering ordering a small Freshadama strand in lavender to try out the line :)

Just curious... I looked around on TPO, and can''t figure out where the $500 difference you''re talking about is coming from?

8.5-9mm 18'' Freshadama necklace at PP $830
8-9mm 18'' Gemfresh necklace at TPO is $860
Here''s the link. http://www.thepearloutlet.com/servlet/ProductView?commodityID=37567&command=cp&supplierID=490
TPO uses gem and gemfresh interchangeably.

Birdwatcher

Rough_Rock
I''m looking forward to receiving my order tomorrow and will be sure to post pics over the weekend!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
can''t wait to see pictures!
35.gif

suna

Rough_Rock
it''s meaningless of so call freshadama, presidentiall or gem grade.
as i know, freshwater pearl didn''t have official grading, the retail always pick up their best one and called as gem, freshadama, presidential, top grade, or AAAA grade.
don''t trust the name, just make sure you are picking the top quality of the retail.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Hey Birdwatcher, are you happy with these? They are on the June sale page and I''m tempted...
31.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 11:37:42 AM
Author: starshine
Hey Birdwatcher, are you happy with these? They are on the June sale page and I''m tempted...
31.gif
I just bought these. I should receive them by Monday/Tuesday. I''ll let you know what I think.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 11:42:55 AM

Date: 6/18/2009 11:37:42 AM
Author: starshine
31.gif
I just bought these. I should receive them by Monday/Tuesday. I''ll let you know what I think.
Post pictures when you get them please!!! how exciting!!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Skippy! I''m really interested in seeing some of the gem grade Freshwaters and how they compare to Freshadams.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results