shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking a sapphire for a pendant

JJH90

Rough_Rock
I'd like to buy a sapphire to be mounted in a pendant, and I don't have any idea what is the ideal color and cut, and would like some advice and guidance on whether the color is ideal, if the cut is considered excellent, and if the price is too expensive for the corresponding cut, color, and treatment (heated).

The first sapphire (5ct) I'm considering is below. It has a cushion cut.

1697764152529.png 1697765030237.png 1697765095667.png

It is rectangular and it's depth is 76.5% on its width, and 65.8% on its length. The table is 44.2% on width. I don't know the table percentage on its length, but I would imagine it is probably around $45%/50%. The girdle does look to be uneven in the side view:

1697764358729.png

It is heated and eye clean. Price/ct is about $6400/ct.

The second sapphire (6.4ct) I'm considering is below, and has a cushion cut:

1697764576080.png 1697765007472.png 1697765137654.png 1697765703947.png
This one is more symmetric. Price is $6800/ct. This is also eye clean and heated. Cut specs are below:

1697764665243.png

Below are links to two videos. In the videos, the 6.42ct is far left, and the 5ct is second from right.

Natural Light Video:
Natural Light Video

Indoor Light Video:
Indoor Light Video

The 2nd from left has a slightly more dull color, so I passed up on that one. The one on the far right (oval one) is a lighter colored stone (it's not royal blue), and it definitely scintillates quite nicely. I can provide details on that one if you want and you think that one might be the best one. Looking forward to your feedback, as I really know nothing about what is considered the most valuable color and what is the ideal cut for sapphire cushion cuts. I did read that sapphire cushion cuts should be deeper than diamond cuts, but that's about all I know.

Another question is should I wait for an unheated sapphire. If the current sapphires are too expensive given that they are heated, would I be better off waiting to find an unheated one.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1697765077140.png
    1697765077140.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 4

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having trouble trying to view the video but from what I see posted, both sapphires are on the darker side and may end up looking black-ish once set and worn.

JJH90

Rough_Rock
@Crono, that's a good point. Maybe I should look for cornflower blue then. Is the color cornflower blue considered just as valuable/rare as royal blue?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a healthy budget and are relying upon a few random photos to make a huge purchase and a huge decision. There is a high likelihood that you will regret this purchase down the line when you know a little more. Most of us regret our first few online gem purchases. Even if you love it when you open the box (they're all pretty, after all) it's the lack of a comparator that sets you up for the slow realization over ensuing months that you've made a mistake. How did I ignore that window? How did I fail to recognize the obvious gray? Or why oh why did I pass up the amazing stone because of an off-center culet?

I think you are the perfect candidate to work with a broker like Inken at Enhoerning -- who works with multiple wholesalers in NYC. She will help you prioritize what matters most to you while also keeping you from focusing on the slightly asymmetric girdle when what matters most is the vividness of the color -- whether cornflower or peacock or royal.

If you were looking for eBay specials or to spend a few thousand, I would not make this suggestion.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Is the color cornflower blue considered just as valuable/rare as royal blue?

If I were you I'd stop caring about colour trade names this very instant. Let me show you why.

This is a royal blue you've been offered:
1697765703947-png.949595

This is a cornflower blue that might be sold by a random jeweller:

1697876840607.jpeg

And this is a sapphire posted by another PS member who said it was offered for a 7-figure sum at the time of taking the picture:

img_7144-jpeg.940583

Which of the three would you consider to be closest to ideal? Imagine all three were offered at the same price, would you even for a second think about getting the first two?

I'm with @LilAlex here, with your budget you can do so much better. Don't look for royal blue, or cornflower blue, or whatever name blue they can come up with next. Look for a strong, saturated, vibrant blue that draws your eye and makes you go "wow".

Also, forget about all these angles and percentages. They matter in diamonds, but they're all but meaningless to a buyer of coloured stones. Evaluate the cut with your eyes. For example, the second cushion has a significant window. The proportions won't tell you this, but you can easily see it for yourself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results