shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on first colored stone project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I''ve offically caught the bug.
11.gif

I want a colored gemstone ring! After perusing through previous threads I came across this website http://www.paolocostagli.com/rings.html and fell in love with the Florentine Ring. I love, love, love it!!! It would look smashing as a right hand ring.

But, I would like to cut back on the price and the size by sourcing my own stones. I eventually will approach Leon to make the setting. He did my e-ring and I thought he did a fab job. (Notice my propensity for step-cuts)
9.gif

So, here''s where my quest begins. Any ideas where best to source the stones? I am thinking of changing the peridot in the pictured ring to green tourmaline. Is peridot too soft for a ring? Is green troumaline sturdy enough?
And where the heck would I get a set of pink sapphires for the side stones?

Thoughts, ideas, opinions and input are all welcome!

Thank you so much!

futureproject.jpeg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
That''s a very pretty ring! Good luck on your project! I know a lot of other posters are way more knowledgeable about this, but as far as a green tourmaline, I know Barry Bridgestock has some really pretty green mozambique tourms right now (although they''re darker than that peridot). As for the pink sapps, did you check the Natural Sapphire Company website?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 5:51:04 PM
Author:dutchflowers
Hello!

I''ve offically caught the bug.
11.gif

I want a colored gemstone ring! After perusing through previous threads I came across this website http://www.paolocostagli.com/rings.html and fell in love with the Florentine Ring. I love, love, love it!!! It would look smashing as a right hand ring.

But, I would like to cut back on the price and the size by sourcing my own stones. I eventually will approach Leon to make the setting. He did my e-ring and I thought he did a fab job. (Notice my propensity for step-cuts)
9.gif

So, here''s where my quest begins. Any ideas where best to source the stones? I am thinking of changing the peridot in the pictured ring to green tourmaline. Is peridot too soft for a ring? Is green troumaline sturdy enough?
And where the heck would I get a set of pink sapphires for the side stones?

Thoughts, ideas, opinions and input are all welcome!

Thank you so much!
Yes and yes. Peridot could maybe work in a bezel or flush setting, but the crown would still scratch rather easily. It would be OK for occasional wear, but it''d still need replacement every few years to have a decent looking stone in the ring.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Scratching and replacing stones I think is more of a personal thing. Some people are tough on rings and things, and some are not. Just like a watch. I have a watch that I wear every day, it''s maybe 12 years old, and there isn''t one scratch on the crystal. I see other guys who''s watch crystals are a mess after a month. Same thing with rings. To save some money on the stone, you could use tourmaline for all 3 stones (1 green and 2 pinks)

dutchflowers

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the input!
9.gif

I"ll keep you apprised of my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results