shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help on Finding a Good diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jonho

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting, though i have been looking at pricescope for several months now. I am thrilled to see so many experts in the field and the generosity in advice that has been dispensed here. For me, this is my first purchase of a diamond for an upcoming engagement that I would like to make as special as possible. In looking around at the different sites I think I have narrowed down what I would like to purchase to the following:

F Color
SI Clarity
>1.25 Carat

What is the best diamond that I can get for <8000$? Which dealer would you choose to go with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jonho you should do your own stone searches and make enquiries.

Alternatively you could post your requirements and email address and solicit vendors to privately email you with offers :)

we do not like vendors to trade on this board, but you are welcome to use it to invite them to deal off the board with you :)

jonho

Rough_Rock
Gotcha! I was just looking for general recommendations on size and cut vs. actual stones.

Jess

Rough_Rock
Do you need an F color? the normal person can't tell the difference between an F and, say an H when set. Make sure you get Sarin reports on stones you are interested in and enter the numbers into the Cut Advisor. I would say go for H SI1.
But i'm no expert:loopy:

jonho

Rough_Rock
I'll have to go to a local jewelry store and take a look at the F vs. H's. Most of the posts on this site seem to indicate that cut is the absolute most important factor. If I got a G-H it would probably allow me to get a much larger stone. What does everyone think?

Jess

Rough_Rock
That is what I was thinking...larger and/or better cut. Check out Superbcerts and Hearts and Arrows. When you look at a local jeweler, make sure you look at GIA or AGS certed stones and compare GIA to GIA and AGS to AGS etc. I know other labs don't grade as strictly as those 2 do.

Jess

Rough_Rock
Hi again, Just because I have nothing else to do right now and I love this stuff, I searched "by cut quality" on the front page.
H
SI1
AGS 0
0.8-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg
34.4°
43%
AGS
n
pt
id
id
no
$6990

H
SI1
0.9-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg
34.5°
43%
AGS
n
pt
id
id
no
$7615

G
VS2
0 (H&A)
0.9-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg
34.8°
42.9%
AGS
n-m-f
pt
id
id
no
$7665

Have fun!:wavey:

jonho

Rough_Rock
1.45 Round Brilliant
G
SI1
GIA
Excellent

Measurements 7.24-7.2
Depth 62.4
Table 57
Girdle
Culet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence Medium

$7,746.00

What do y'all think?
I don't have the crown and pavilion angles, but when I enter the measurements into the Pricescope tool I get Excellent all the way down.
:confused:

jonho

Rough_Rock
Wow those 3 look good, let me go run that search.:lickout:

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Whether you use the quality search or a more general search, go and take a look at the diamond certificate and description and then run the Cut Advisor with the angle information you get from the certificate or details. Going to the original data or angle data will get you past any inconsistencies from using percentages rather than angles. If available run the average of opposite facets to eliminate some of the vagueness of averaging.

Not something you need to do every time but you should when it comes down to making a final decision between close competitors.

If you find it really hard to decide, people here have been known to post really detailed analyses of the comparative strengths and weaknesses of competing choices.

jonho

Rough_Rock
I went to the local jewelry store today and they showed me some examples of the different sizes and colors. To tell you the truth I can't tell an F from an H (though I looked yellow) and will probably go with the lower color and larger diamond. Thanks to everybody for the help!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi JamesD :)

We use crown and pavilion angles now in search by quality for A Cut Above and Superbcert stones

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Good to read. From the discussion of the revised SuperbCert site it appears that we can hope for it to be more common. A welcome improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results