shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on CADs for antique cushion!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS experts,
I have a antique cushion that I’m looking to place in her forever home. The vendor (CvB) has provided CADs for review, and I’m very happy with them. Caysie has been an absolute doll- sweet, responsive, accommodating; can’t say enough positives about her! However, I don’t want to miss anything and it’s much easier to make changes now rather than later! With that said, can you look at my CADs with an eagle eye and see if I’ve missed anything or have any suggestions to consider?
My criteria were:
Platinum, 4 double claw prongs from top down view to accentuate squarish outline
Cathedral setting
Interesting basket, but airy open enough for frequent cleaning
2mm shank, gap ok and even preferred

BTW, the center stone is not my cushion but is the same silhouette.
Thank you in advance!

Pictures to come!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
BEAAA5D5-D64C-41FA-B102-9752AE878303.jpeg 98D7A400-DA98-4C1C-8277-549625C8B0A5.jpeg 2BC6DF1A-87D7-403B-9B2B-753479DCA18C.jpeg 8E0BAD54-F752-492A-8DF1-0D5FAB018F55.jpeg

mol42

Shiny_Rock
BF3FE9C1-A633-4DAB-BCA6-F7E2A75D4839.jpeg 43A802FC-9A7F-4473-966C-02CDAF5F9C09.jpeg The bottom view was originally with a beam, but I asked for a donut instead. What are your thoughts?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really lovely :kiss2: I really can’t think of a thing I’d change. Everything works together beautifully!

Tell us about this cushion ::)

mol42

Shiny_Rock
That is really lovely :kiss2: I really can’t think of a thing I’d change. Everything works together beautifully!

Tell us about this cushion ::)

Thank you Yssie! I appreciate the vote of confidence, especially since you have such a great eye for details:appl:

The cushion is my Holy Grail!! I told Grace I was looking for one, albeit next year (to save up funds) but when it came to my attention, I couldn’t say no:kiss2:
It is a 5.02 antique cushion and fairly squarish at 10.45x10.31. I really adore her! And I promised DH it will be my last upgrade! Lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see this stone - please post some photos! It sounds gorgeous :cool2:

I love your taste! So I would have known that I’d love whatever you came up with - surprise surprise, I adore your concept for this!

Edit - I’m laughing because... I’m sitting on a square antique cushion too, and was thinking about CVB’s Sienna for it. Similar enough to be startling! My stone is much smaller than yours - 2.1ct - and my project isn’t going to happen for a long time... will you be keeping your Margot?

Last edited:

mol42

Shiny_Rock
D9ABB47E-7DC8-40A2-B8A6-8AF3392DE171.png
I can’t wait to see this stone - please post some photos! It sounds gorgeous :cool2:

I love your taste! So I would have known that I’d love whatever you came up with - surprise surprise, I adore your concept for this!

Edit - I’m laughing because... I’m sitting on a square antique cushion too, and was thinking about CVB’s Sienna for it. Similar enough to be startling! My stone is much smaller than yours - 2.1ct - and my project isn’t going to happen for a long time... will you be keeping your Margot?

Oh my goodness! We must be in a parallel universe!
I just looked at the Sienna and it is beautiful:love: Will you tweak it in any way? The Sienna does not have the shoulder cuffs (is that the right term?) and I had considered asking for that but keep waffling on whether to keep the cuffs or remove them. Argh- I’m heading into paralysis analysis:eek2:
I am keeping the Margot as I adore the setting. Alas, I had let go of the OEC to help fund the upgrade. I wish I could have kept the OEC but I cannot be greedy and hopefully someone else will enjoy her just as much as I did.

Here’s a quick pic of my HG!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your HG is OMG amazing :eek2:
Love love love. Huge, gorgeous faceting and looks icy white - what colour?
I think this setting will be perfection.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness... your new stone is perfection :eek-2::love:
Actually it reminds me a lot of @Resonance.Of.Life’s preferred type of cushion!

I’m so glad you’re keeping Margot! I’m attached to your Margot - she is, after all, one of the main reasons I have my Margot :mrgreen2:

Yup, the Sienna has “indents” (no idea what they’re called!) instead of convex wraps. The stone was kinda an accidental purchase though (as accidentally as one can buy a diamond, I suppose)... it’ll be a while before I can justify spending on setting her!

I definitely ditto keeping the cuffs on your design! It’s a very clean and period-appropriate way to demarcate the switch from tri-wire to splayed-shoulder-with-petal, IMO. I do think that transition area needs something to highlight the shift, since the shoulder isn’t just a natural extension of the three wires of the shank...

Will any part of the basket be visible face-up?
CEF8D40E-8D47-444B-BD78-CA895AD38CCB.jpeg

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Your HG is OMG amazing :eek2:
Love love love. Huge, gorgeous faceting and looks icy white - what colour?
I think this setting will be perfection.

Thank you foxinsox!
It is a K but I tell ya, it is whiter than other Ks I’ve seen. Every jeweler has estimated it higher than K, but I’m glad it was or otherwise I would not have been able to afford (reach) for it!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness... your new stone is perfection :eek-2::love:
Actually it reminds me a lot of @Resonance.Of.Life’s preferred type of cushion!

I’m so glad you’re keeping Margot! I’m attached to your Margot - she is, after all, one of the main reasons I have my Margot :mrgreen2:

Yup, the Sienna has “indents” (no idea what they’re called!) instead of convex wraps. The stone was kinda an accidental purchase though (as accidentally as one can buy a diamond, I suppose)... it’ll be a while before I can justify spending on setting her!

I definitely ditto keeping the cuffs on your design! It’s a very clean and period-appropriate way to demarcate the switch from tri-wire to splayed-shoulder-with-petal, IMO. I do think that transition area needs something to highlight the shift, since the shoulder isn’t just a natural extension of the three wires of the shank...

Will any part of the basket be visible face-up?
CEF8D40E-8D47-444B-BD78-CA895AD38CCB.jpeg

I love love ❤️ your Margot and will have to visit your thread to admire her with her glorious stone ensemble. Mine is looking very sad and empty right now.
Thank you for your input on the cuffs. I remember seeing a beautiful SingleStone setting with cuffs a long time ago and it was more “period” in retrospect. I tried it on with a plain wedding band and loved the look. Right now my stone is in a 4 prong stock setting that has a skyscraper profile (totally cringeworthy when people ask to look at my ring!) that I’m pairing with a thin eternity and I’m digging the look too. I guess I gravitate to just a little bit of diamond accents in my wedding set.

I don’t THINK any part of the basket is visible but that is a good observation; I will need to follow up on that that.

Any thoughts on beam vs. donut on the underside view? I’ve never seen a beam before.

mol42

Shiny_Rock
5D0FFF37-9718-4F29-A144-CCADFB6E6B6B.jpeg Here is the current temp setting. I won’t show the profile because you might :sick:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super bright and huge on you :mrgreen2:

My guess on the bar would be to provide some white metal under the open culet. A doughnut would allow skin to show through - which I know some people prefer!

I’m with you on having a scattering of melee in my wedding set. Just a scattering for me, though, I worry too much about losing stones as it is ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another random thought - not to everyone’s tastes, but I’ll throw it out there - what do you think about adding some variance in texture?

It seems like there are two distinct “types” of design elements - the wires and the chunkier flats of metal (red). A satin/matte (“directionless brush”) finish on those flats could make the wire elements really stand out, and the location of those flats is convenient in terms of protecting a delicate non-polish finish, if that’s a look you like...
CA9EEAF6-E8FC-4432-8A07-AC7B2D4619D1.jpeg

mol42

Shiny_Rock
That is a really great idea on the reason for the beam. I just assumed it was for support and it never occurred to me its effect from the top down view. I love the culet though, so I guess that’s another reason to go with the donut.
See, this is why I decided to get some expert input!:wavey:

I like your idea on varying texture. IIRC, you had incorporated Erika’s matte finish on the spires in the Margot right? That is such a nice secret/detail.
I had considered making the swags matte too (funny how our ideas are similar.)
I was going for swags like the Elsa which is a bit more “droopy”, more organic to my eye but it would require the midpoint to be brought up higher, which would then cause the middle leaf to be bigger or longer, and that’s usually my head would hurt and I would have to walk away:wall:

79886157-2036-48DF-B193-C5339D6C9502.png

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be absolutely stunning! I think the CADs look great. Those claw prongs are going to be just delicious. And your stone is beautiful!

I’m working with Caysie right now too (on an eternity band). She is fantastic, and has been so patient with my million questions. So glad you are having a wonderful experience, too!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
This is going to be absolutely stunning! I think the CADs look great. Those claw prongs are going to be just delicious. And your stone is beautiful!

I’m working with Caysie right now too (on an eternity band). She is fantastic, and has been so patient with my million questions. So glad you are having a wonderful experience, too!

Thank you Tonks! What an exciting project! I agree that Caysie has been very patient and professional with all my questions as well. Where are you in the process? I think Tom Petty is right — the waiting is the hardest part! :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did Caysie say about the swag droop?
The one potential issue I see is - if you don’t want to bring the meet point of the swags all the way up to the girdle as a prong (yes, prong, not Pringle, thank you autocorrect...) then there’s an upper limit to how high the top of the joint can go up the pavilion before it becomes visible face-up, thanks to the depth of metal in that area - I wonder if the joint isn’t already at that point in the current CAD, actually. Maybe the underside of the swags could be brought up a touch to make just enough room to elongate the middle petal?
That doesn’t give you any additional swag droop though... and it would probably change the look of the gallery quite a bit...

Yes, my Margot had Erika’s signature finish on only the shields. Worked out really well - those areas are well-protected and the finish is still pristine :))

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Tonks! What an exciting project! I agree that Caysie has been very patient and professional with all my questions as well. Where are you in the process? I think Tom Petty is right — the waiting is the hardest part! :lol:

Waiting is hard—but will be sooo worth it! I just approved CADs and she has moved things into material production. So I think it will be 4-6 weeks from now.

As to your donut vs beam, I would say definitely a donut. I would worry about seeing the beam through the culet.

The tri-wire of your design really is stunning. The shoulder wraps accent it beautifully. I’m so excited fo you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one potential issue I see is - if you don’t want to bring the meet point of the swags all the way up to the girdle as a prong (yes, prong, not Pringle, thank you autocorrect...) then there’s an upper limit to how high the top of the joint can go up the pavilion before it becomes visible face-up, thanks to the depth of metal in that area - I wonder if the joint isn’t already at that point in the current CAD, actually. Maybe the underside of the swags could be brought up a touch to make just enough room to elongate the middle petal?
That doesn’t give you any additional swag droop though... and it would probably change the look of the gallery quite a bit...

Yes, my Margot had Erika’s signature finish on only the shields. Worked out really well - those areas are well-protected and the finish is still pristine :))

Photoshop hackjob:
mol_1.jpg

I like the original CAD better though ::)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be AH-MAZING!!! And your stone is jaw-droppingly huge and gorgeous. :clap: I love your aesthetic! I'll probably be using Caysie for my cushion re-set (though it's a baby cushion compared to your honker!) and am almost 100% sure I'll be using tri-wire and wraps as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out!!

mol42

Shiny_Rock

Yes I see what you mean; I’m afraid if the mid point is brought up any further, the metal will show face-up and I definitely want to avoid that. I will check with Caysie on that point.

Truth be told, my initial setting idea was a modification of your Ani stud (which always takes my breath away.) I just couldn’t figure out how that would work in a ring for a stone of this depth and still keep it pretty airy, so I ended up switching directions. But I absolutely adore that setting and would love to see the translation to a ring:love:

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Waiting is hard—but will be sooo worth it! I just approved CADs and she has moved things into material production. So I think it will be 4-6 weeks from now.

As to your donut vs beam, I would say definitely a donut. I would worry about seeing the beam through the culet.

The tri-wire of your design really is stunning. The shoulder wraps accent it beautifully. I’m so excited fo you!

Thank you for your input! It’s so helpful to hear from fellow jewelry enthusiasts and those traveling the same journey! 4-6 weeks— how will you manage the wait??!! I can’t wait to see another CvB creation; I’m excited for you as well ❤️

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Photoshop hackjob:
mol_1.jpg

I like the original CAD better though ::)

Thank you for the hack job LOL! That really helps me to envision it.:clap:

mol42

Shiny_Rock
This is going to be AH-MAZING!!! And your stone is jaw-droppingly huge and gorgeous. :clap: I love your aesthetic! I'll probably be using Caysie for my cushion re-set (though it's a baby cushion compared to your honker!) and am almost 100% sure I'll be using tri-wire and wraps as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Hi @KristyDarling! Thank you so much for stopping by! Caysie has been really responsive and professional; I have enjoyed working with her thus far. She is so prolific with her designs and then is willing to modify them as well, so there are dozens (hundreds? Idk but A LOT) of options to obsess over but I guess that’s part of the “fun”! Lol:appl:
I’m looking forward to your plans for your cushion:twisted2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results