shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: old euro?

eal33064

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I’m not sure if this is where I should ask this, but wanted your opinions. My fiancé was sold a ring saying it’s old euro, but the GIA says it is round brilliant. I am only asking for insurance purposes and I know next to nothing, so I would love any insight!! I have a video as well, but don’t know how to post i 35FA6540-AD7E-427B-9D09-047E78B6C17B.jpeg 31E97FB9-949D-4E62-8674-E99C3592C6EE.png 3F2A627C-9B1A-4765-87AF-2BD2CAEB4005.jpeg AB504EFC-C3DD-48B2-91B4-EA13A06F24AC.jpeg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are the GIA criteria for their three types of round diamonds

GIA Cut Criteria.png

The trade generally uses "Old European" for both Circular Brilliants and Old Europeans. Your diamond doesn't seem to have a culet so it doesn't qualify for either of those names. It also looks like the Lower half length might be greater than 65%.

eal33064

Rough_Rock
These are the GIA criteria for their three types of round diamonds

GIA Cut Criteria.png

The trade generally uses "Old European" for both Circular Brilliants and Old Europeans. Your diamond doesn't seem to have a culet so it doesn't qualify for either of those names. It also looks like the Lower half length might be greater than 65%.

Hi! thank you. There is a medium culet 83E539E1-3FE7-4F0A-AA20-67E8AA3C57AF.png

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but for sure the 70% Lower half length makes your diamond a "Round Brilliant".

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring and congrats on your engagement! For insurance purposes be sure to understand what replacement options are available to you and include the GIA report info (and the receipt as well since that states “old euro”). I can understand why the vendor sold it as an old euro as it looks like an older cut than a MRB. And, while there are labs out there that would call it an old euro it is better to have a report from a reliable, well known lab like GIA.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a transitional diamond. It doesn’t meet the grading criteria for old European cut, but it has blockier facets and a smaller table than a modern round brilliant. It’s lovely. Enjoy!

eal33064

Rough_Rock
Pretty ring and congrats on your engagement! For insurance purposes be sure to understand what replacement options are available to you and include the GIA report info (and the receipt as well since that states “old euro”). I can understand why the vendor sold it as an old euro as it looks like an older cut than a MRB. And, while there are labs out there that would call it an old euro it is better to have a report from a reliable, well known lab like GIA.

Thank you!! This makes a lot of sense, I just wanted to make sure this was not a “bad” thing. I appreciate the insight!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results