shape
carat
color
clarity

need help looking for blue sapphire engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ecotone

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m starting to look for a blue sapphire engagement ring. First- do you recommend blue sapphires as an engagement ring? My girlfriend has made my search a little difficult because she doesn''t know exactly what she wants. She''s not overly enthused about receiving a diamond because they''ve become kind of generic to her - although she''s told me she''ll be thrilled to receive any ring when I propose. When we went shopping together yesterday, she loved the blue sapphire she tried on. She liked the pink sapphire as well but thought it was more like a fun-ring then an engagement ring. The blue sapphire seemed more elegant and engagement-like.

My girlfriend likes emerald cuts , cushions, or elongated cushions. She likes how emerald cuts can look clean and simple. She is not as into round or oval cuts. In terms of size - we liked 3-4 carat stones. She wants a solitaire ring without any extra diamond adornments. I would like to buy a very high quality sapphire if possible since this is such a special occasion and it will be standing on its own. I figure that if I were buying a diamond, I would have spent up to $15K and maybe more, so I''m open to the possibility of spending that amount for a sapphire.

Some questions: What should I be looking for in terms of those cuts? How can I tell what''s exceptional besides taking someone else''s word for it? (I''m very limited in my abilities with respect to all of this) What are good places to explore? I looked on the Natural Sapphire Company''s website. Are they a good company? What other ones do you recommend? I''ll be in NY for 2 weeks over Christmas, so I could possibly visit sellers there.

By the way, this ring on the Natural Sapphire Company''s website seemed in the range of what I''m looking for (although the price seems a bit high). Unfortunately, I''m not sure how to evaluate it. What do you think?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Emerald-Cut/stoneid=B194

Thanks for all your help and sorry for so many questions.

ecotone

Rough_Rock
ok - reading more posts on this site is helping me to answer some of my questions.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You got there before me Skippy!

This sounds like a job for Leon.

He can help you find a nice stone too!

AmandaFace

Rough_Rock
almost all of the sapphires from natural sapphire co. are treatment free - which affects the price tag. theyre a great online resource for sapphires, and i love that they offer videos of their stones. if you have any questions they get back to you in a timely manner.

good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ecotone,
Hello and welcome to Pricescope. Sapphires are great as engagement rings due to their hardness and they come in various fantastic colours. Blue sapphires are a traditional colour choice. Emerald shapes are not as common but square and rectangular cushions are more easily found. With your budget, it is certainly doable for a 3 to 4 carat blue sapphire, but most likely has to be heated.

The Natural Sapphire Company has both good and bad stones; their main selling point is that all their sapphires are unheated. Do you mind if they are unheated? I don''t but some do. Heat treatment is acceptable by the trade but no other treatment is. The stone you alluded to is gorgeous but cost more because it is untreated.

My other favourite vendors are:
www.winkjones.com (Idaho)
www.ajsgems.com doesn''t seem to have any nice ones in your size range right now
www.atggems.com has a gorgeous blue but it''s too large.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
You might find this thread interesting, if a bit long: \"$1000-$150000 sapphire ring\". The upshot of it is that he visited several vendors including NSC and Leon Mege, and ended up choosing a 3+ carat stone and setting at Leon''s. He gave a pretty detailed review (on page 4, I think) of his experiences.

There aren''t many emerald cuts online right now, but I did see several nice cushions at ajsgems, Wild Fish and NSC. Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to add: if you do choose to have Leon Mege as your ring designer, he can also help you source the center sapphire. He has a very good eye for diamonds and gemstones and I''ve never seen him pick a bad one.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hello Ecotone,
I personally love my sapphire e-ring, and Selkie''s is gorgeous if you go have a look around, you will find a bunch. I drooled all over the sapphires at Khordipour Enterprises in NYC. Its a good website to look at to get some ideas, they have gorgeous 3cs for around 7,000. And their wedding bands are soooo sweet.
enjoy the hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results