shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help looking for a diamond please!!!... It's for my best friend.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Laura -

Thanks for stepping in and making alternate suggestions for your friend. The idea of a half ct princess cut from Jareds makes me shudder a trifle. Apart from anything else, pls let him know that Jareds is horribly overpriced, and that almost any diamond specialty store (as opposed to a mall jewelry chain) will give him much more diamond of a better quality for his money.

I think a solitaire would be wonderful, but I'd be going with Blue Nile. He'll get the most bang for his buck there. I'd be looking for an ideal cut stone (as opposed to one of the branded stones like Good Old Gold, White Flash, Brian Gavin Diamonds, HPD and so on, which are often referred to as SUPER ideal and would perhaps be, as Madelise mentioned) overkill for someone who may not be able to tell the difference anyway. Having said that, however, 'Very Good' cut, which you said your friend is considering, could be a lot better....

I agree with others; a solitaire for the engagement ring, three stone for anniversary or birth of first baby. Three stones ARE classic and have been around for decades and decades - but they're also a personal choice, and a solitaire is far safer.

Here's the diamond I'd be suggesting:

www.Bluenile.com

Go to that page, then, in the top right corner in the search box, enter this number:

LD08880500

It will take you to the page for a G SI1 .84ct stone. There is no video or photo for this, but he can request one. I've been buying from BN for years and years without photos, and with stones of this size, it's a straight forward procedure and a safe way to do things. At less than a ct, an SI1 stone will almost always be eye clean (but ask when you call BN and they will confirm or not - they're very honest this way). This is a LOT of diamond compared to what he was looking at; on a size 5 finger, it will look wonderful. It also has beautiful specs and, for people interested in these things, scores 'Excellent' and 1.1 on the HCA. It's $3239.67, wire price.

I see he was looking at a 14kt white gold setting. He could get the 14kt 6 Prong Low Dome Comfort Fit ring for $260. Unless he lives in WA or NY, he will pay no tax and no shipping - bringing his total in at 33 cents under budget. And it would get him a white, beautifully cut, substantial, classic ring which is about a million miles away from a 1/2 ct princess cut from Jareds. Thankfully.

Just to add; personally, I would pay the extra $110 and get the 14kt white gold Petite Nouveau 4 Prong Solitaire engagement ring. It's more delicate and, if you go to the page for that setting, (again, enter the name of the setting in the search box) and look at the examples of rings made with that setting (the examples are real life photographs under the main photo of the ring; click on any of the thumbnails and it will bring up a long line of different examples of stones using that setting), you'll see that setting with a .8ct stone. It looks beautiful!

Good luck to your friend, and keep him on track!!

ETA Pls tell your friend that spending that percentage of his budget on the 3 stone ring he's considering is not a good plan. The ring he's looking at is also a whoooooole lotta metal. If he ever upgrades the center stone, he will be forced to throw out the setting as well. If he buys a better stone to start with, he could one day put in side stones, have a substantial ring, and get to keep the center stone he proposed with. Also....(and looking for a delicate way to say this)...rings which are 'all setting' with non-ideal, small center stones, can tend to be a tad...underwhelming....

ETA 2 I just looked at the stone he was considering from JA - Good Lord, NO! I'm surprised that squeaked into the Very Good cut class!!

Last edited:

iamjo

Rough_Rock
Well it seems like my friend got a little overwhelmed with all the info, he thought buying a ring would be like walking into a store to buy a pair of shoes lol :lol: he is still processing all there is to it, and he is trying to find more info about his gf preferences for the ring. Thank you all for the responses, will come back with an update as soon as I hear from him.

@madelise :wavey::wavey::wavey: Im such a good friend right? Hahahaha jk ... but I couldnt let him buy something from the mall when I know he can get something better elsewhere.

Continued good luck on your quest! I concur--he can do better than a mall experience! Enjoy the 'journey'!

iamjo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I am seeking help for my bestfriend who is about to get engaged, he started looking a couple of months ago for rings at Ben Bridge, Kay Jewelers and Jared, in this last one he was about to purchase a princess cut ring (0.54ct, H, vs2) when he asked for my opinion and I told him that maybe he could get a better diamond on james allen or whiteflash and also buy the setting from the same place.

As I mentioned at first he was interested in a princess cut, and I asked if his gf had stated that as her preference, apparently she said she liked the classic look and he went with princess, I recommended the round because I think that’s the classic look and also I told him princess cuts tend to face smaller. (* Her ring size is 5).

He is now looking at rounds on james allen, his max budget is $3500 (setting+stone) and is looking for a three stone ring for more finger coverage, but is willing to maybe go for a solitaire (less money on the setting) if he finds a really good stone. He is looking for a center stone of at least 0.5ct, vs2, H-G color range and ideal cut or very good.

This is the stone and setting he is considering from james allen, is this a good choice or can you recommend a better one? Help me please, I really want him to get the best ring he can get.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ment-ring-with-scroll-undergallery-item-22571

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-2709754

Laura - was your friend successful in finding the 'perfect ring'???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results