shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help locating a well-cut Asscher - Aquamarine or Pink

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I are coming up on our two year anniversary in a few weeks, and he's offered to let me pick out a little pretty. Like many other PSers, I definitely have been bitten by the Asscher bug. I missed a gorgeous Gene Aquamarine a few months back, and have been moping about it ever since. I'd really like to find either a 3+ carat aquamarine with great color and saturation (NOT GRAY, not faint or washed out) to use in a simple platinum setting. (My dream ring is Ellen's gorgeous Aqua). If I can't find that, I'm interested in something in a light or medium pink, maybe Tourmaline? But I don't know much about what sort of pink stone I can or should use. For that, I'd want something slightly smaller, and probably set in a Halo setting with some color around it.

Does anyone know of any Aqua asschers currently available? (Probably not, or you've probably bought it!) Does anyone have any photos of their pink asschers? Or, asschers in halo settings?

Other than Gene, who else do you asscher owners suggest for cutting gorgeous asschers? Is there a difference between an asscher and a "Step-cut" stone?

Help and photos would be so appreciated! And if there is a thread designated for just asscher photos, can someone direct me to it so I don't have to ask anyone to repost their pictures?

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Need help locating a well-cut Asscher - Aquamarine or Pi

pinkasscher.jpg
This came in the mail from Gene yesterday. I haven't been able to see it in sunlight as it is storming here. But so far I am in love with the color. I contacted him to see what he had rough since he did not have an asscher on his site at the time I was shopping. It was a quick turn around

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Be prepared to wait a while and pay a lot for a 3 ct aquamarine that is NOT gray (rich blue saturation with a medium light tone), especially if you are insistent on something asscher cut, which means it will end up as a custom cut stone. For a feel of pricing, I know that Paraiba International carries some fine aquamarines but unfortunately, their website isn’t working for me this morning. When it comes to pinks, you can choose either a pink sapphire, pink spinel, pink morganite or pink tourmaline. Basically, anything asscher cut will need to be custom cut so you aren’t going to find any that are ready for sale. Asschers fall into the step cut category. Other styles that fall into the step cut category include rectangular and square emerald cuts, some modified form (perhaps step cut crown with brilliant pavilion), carre cuts and more. There are also different styles of asschers from the royal asscher to some other modified forms (different quantity of steps). I do believe there exists an old thread showing everyone’s asscher cut stones from various precision cutters.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

Other places to look would be Gary Braun from Finewater, Doug from Bespoke Gems, Peter Torraca, and Jeff White. All cut lovely asschers, but Gary and Gene are tied for first IMO in terms of the traditional asscher style.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Roger Dery from spectralgems.com too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does anyone know if Jerry (Newman?) cuts asscher gemstones?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

222a.jpg

This is a gorgeous untreated topaz listed on Bespoke. If I were in the market I'd be scooping it up!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you are looking for a much larger stone, but you may enjoy seeing this cool little 0.57 ct VS2 light pink asscher GIA diamond.
You don't see many pink asscher diamonds.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4124.htm

4124_di_image_6fb30.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no, I saw a blue aqua asscher yesterday but for the life of me I can't remember where. :(sad Let me see if I can retrace my steps.

Edit: I found it but it's sold. Sorry. I'm guessing that you wouldn't have wanted this cut though because it's not a true asscher. If you do like it why don't you contact Dan to see if he has more rough and could cut you one?
http://customgemstones.com/BERYL/aq1292.html

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

PETERPINKTOURMASSCHER4.jpg

This is my pink tourmaline asscher from Peter Torraca.

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results