shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help! Limited budget 3 stone engagement ring shopping

knauerj

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this website and figured it would be a great place to ask for help. I am getting ready to ask my girlfriend of 5 years to marry me in the next few weeks, and I still have not decided on a ring. She has told me exactly what she wants, but my budget is limited due to college bills and such. She has said she wants a 3-stone princess cut ring with a "vintage" look to it. Now upon further inspection, I learned the rings she likes (although very expensive) look similar to these

http://www.verragio.com/Verragio-Engagement-Rings/Paradiso-Engagement-Rings/PARADISO-3064P

http://todiamonds.com/Products/Detail.aspx?i=a102%20%20%20%201%203/4ct

I have about $1300 to put towards the ring, but would be hard pressed to come up with more cash at this point (if I buy from somewhere with financing, I am not opposed to that). Can anybody be of assistance? I know it's a long shot based on what I have seen online, but I am open to any ideas. Thanks!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Re: Need help! Limited budget 3 stone engagement ring shoppi

Where are you? In the US/Uk/Australia etc?
Some vendors I know of (with shop fronts, not sure about the PS online vendors) do offer some types of 'in house' financing, such as GE credit with 12-month free periods.
A lot of PS people will offer advice about not buying on credit, but tbh the real world sometimes runs a little different from the theory...

If you find that you cannot get exactly what you want right now, would you consider a coloured stone ring?
A princess cut three-stone style might be a little more tricky to replicate in a coloured stone alternative, but you could try sapphires.
Sapphires in a white gold setting could definitely have a vintage appeal...

knauerj

Rough_Rock

I am located in the USA. Obviously, taking out a line of credit isn't what I am hoping to do, but I understand my budget is pretty limited at $1300. I will check out the colored stone alternatives, but I'm pretty sure she is hoping for a diamond.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

I'm sure that other posters will have lots of good ideas...
I personally would consider a coloured stone ring, with a diamond for my five-year anni (well, that's a little how it worked out for me personally lol).

another option is to go with a vendor that offers a decent upgrade policy.
The upgrade policies can vary quite a bit, and there might be a minimum spend.
Some offer full refund of the original buying price when you hand your original diamond back to buy another larger diamond.
I'm not sure that's the way you'd want to go, but I just thought I'd let you know the option exists...of course you are likely to require another setting etc etc if you were to upgrade, and many can't bear to part with their original proposal ring...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You want quite an ornate ring for your budget. I don't doubt that a three stone is possible, but I don't think that 3 stone is possible. The setting alone, and ones similar, are beyond your budget. Have you considered scaling it down for the engagement ring? You could perhaps buying the matching wedding ring for the engagement ring and engagement ring as the wedding ring. Or the larger diamond for the centre stone now in a plain setting and changing out the setting to the one you're hoping for at a later date. If you do that please keep in mind what size diamond is needed for the center stone of the ring. With your budget and your dream ring something has to give.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A princess cut 3 stone on DB. I assumed that you're looking for a princess because that's what the pictures show, but you know what they say about assumptions!

http://diamondbistro.com/category/216/Natural-Diamond-Center/listings/35796/Title-removed-do-not-use-ALL-CAPS.html

The extra money could be used engrave it for a look that it closer to what your photos show...and to add to the wedding fund! I can't find anything else similar at the moment without heading to ebay.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk|1383047620|3546663 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-06ct-G-VS1-Past-present-Future-Princess-diamond-3-stone-ring-14k-WG-sz-7-5-/190922358078?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2c73dbfd3e

This is lovely and has a return policy....

That's a pretty one. You can get something like that then upgrade to what she wants in 5
years when cash isn't as tight.

You could also buy just the center princess stone and put it in a simple solitaire then when
you have more cash you can put it in a 3 stone setting like she wants.

Unfortunately, a setting like that is going to be more than your budget so something has to give.
I think bluenile and James Allen offer financing.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Mayk|1383047620|3546663 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-06ct-G-VS1-Past-present-Future-Princess-diamond-3-stone-ring-14k-WG-sz-7-5-/190922358078?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2c73dbfd3e

This is lovely and has a return policy....

I think this is an excellent option. Great find Mayk!!

knauerj

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for the help! I am really thinking about buying that ring off Ebay, even though it doesn't have the 'flair" that I was looking for, it is in my budget and she will appreciate that.

What does everyone think of this ring?

http://www.worldjewels.com/_e/Engagement_Rings/product/e-460/1_1_2_Carat_Diamond_Engagement_Ring.htm

I know it is a cheaper ring, and the diamonds are smaller than the picture, but it seems like it has a nice design for the price?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk, I saw the first ring that you posted but then you deleted your post. It was still up on my computer so I've linked it here. I'm not sure what your reason was for ruling it out.

OP - I saw that it might be a lower clarity than we would typically recommend. I kind of like it though but think it's a great find by Mayk! I'm hoping she steps in if I've overlooked something she noticed. It has pazazz and now that the price has been lowered it seems very reasonable. If the setting is good the main diamond can always be changed out at a later date if clarity is an issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121204303922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

knauerj|1383063164|3546775 said:
Thank you all for the help! I am really thinking about buying that ring off Ebay, even though it doesn't have the 'flair" that I was looking for, it is in my budget and she will appreciate that.

What does everyone think of this ring?

http://www.worldjewels.com/_e/Engagement_Rings/product/e-460/1_1_2_Carat_Diamond_Engagement_Ring.htm

I know it is a cheaper ring, and the diamonds are smaller than the picture, but it seems like it has a nice design for the price?

This was nearly 10 years ago now, but we spent a bit over the budget that you currently have on my engagement ring. It's hard, isn't it? I compromised a lot on what I thought I wanted.

I don't like this choice because you don't see a real photo of the diamond that you're getting. I understand that with the budget you need to compromise in some respect but I'm not sure this is how I'd do it. It looks like a nice setting, but I'm really bothered by the stock photos and the lack of photos.

knauerj

Rough_Rock

It is extremely tough to try and limit my choices based on my current budget. I am a senior in college, so upgraded down the road would be a possibility but we are ready to take the next step in our relationship and I want to have a great ring! I really like that ring you posted on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121204303922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

But the only problem is that the wedding band is bonded to the engagement ring, can that be un-done at a local jewelry store? If so, that seems like a great option.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes they can be undone. The cost is minimal. I've had it done twice and paid less than $60 both times to have the bands separated and cleaned up. If the diamonds go all the way around it'll be harder and if there is etching on the sides it may need to be retouched at a higher cost.

We got engaged young too, at 21 I think, we just went for a smaller ring and higher colour and clarity as our compromise :)

knauerj

Rough_Rock

Okay I am thinking I am going to pull the trigger on the engagement ring/wedding band combo on ebay...beautiful ring and seems like a great price for the size/quality of the diamonds. And with the $300 saved I can easily go get it cleaned, separated, and ready to go in a nice box.

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

I love that ebay one! It looks like exactly what she wants, within the constraints of your budget, AND it includes the wedding band. In a few years you could update the center stone to a higher clarity if you want.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's very pretty, let us know if you get it!

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

Looks like it's sold... did you get it? Did you get it???? :appl:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's sold! Was it you? I'm so excited for you! It looked like a great find for what you wanted in your budget!

knauerj

Rough_Rock

It was me! Just sent the payment a little bit ago, thank you all so much for your help!!! I am very excited to get in in a few days.

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations!!! Let us know how the proposal goes!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I changed the post when I saw there was no return policy. Then I found the other listing which I thought was awesome. Do glad you found the ONE!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

awesome! I love to see rings with this type of tight budget. Always a satisfying result. glad it wasnt a long search! :wavey:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations!
I sincerely hope you have a marvellous proposal experience, and that your fiance-to-be is thrilled!
I feel strongly for you, because we also were in the same boat.

In fact, I have often dined out (on PS only haha) on my husband's story: A decade ago he gave me $Aus600 and told me to 'go crazy' finding my e-ring! ::)
I could do it all myself, because he just can't stand shopping!
Months later, he was wondering why I hadn't got a ring yet...was I embarrassed? Did I not want to tell people I was engaged?

Needless to say he has more than 'paid' for that, ten years down the track! :cheeky:
And I still do my own shopping LOL

Once again, all the best with your engagement and upcoming marriage!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results