shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help - Is this Emerald Cut Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sirianbrady

Rough_Rock
Closing in on that big purchase and would really appreciate some feedback before I buy

Emerald Cut
9.15 x 5.39 x 3.32
1.52 Carats

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 61%
Girdle: Medium to Very thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity: VVS2
Color: E
Fluorescence: None

Price: $7949

I'm a first time buyer but has done a good level of research. Any commenets would be helpful.

IB:praise:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You found it in the internet, did you? Price sounds very good.

sirianbrady

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Does the girdle variation sounds too much? Its one of my concerns.

IB

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One should check in how bad it is. It is also a matter of price.

geo10000

Rough_Rock
This is a great price! I'm a little concerned about the girdle being "very thick" only if it is a problem with the jeweler being able to set it. This can be a problem with "extremely thick" girdles which is one grade beyond "very thick". I've only seen this happen a couple of times in situations with "very thick" girdles in emerald cuts. Just food for thought...have a jeweler check it out and an appraiser verify the diamond grading report as the price seems almost too good.

sirianbrady

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the replies. Buying these things is a headache.. It seems there's always something to worry about.

I've gotten a lot of additional feedback on this stone. Everything from great price to... whoa, the length to width ration is 1:7 (too much)... to downgrade on clarity and go bigger on the carat size.

Granted I did the majority of my "filtering" on emerald cuts based on the class grading scale and really wanted to find something that fit in the range characteristics of a superior class of cut.

Is the LtoW ration too extreme?? 1:7, will this look weird? Also the girdle.. I'm concerned about difficulties in getting the stone set.

Once again, any advice would be appreciated. The more detailed the better.

Thanks

Ian
Tired diamond shopper

:snore:

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Length to width ratio is a preference issue. The GIA quotes preferred length to width ratio as 1.5 to 1.0 but this again relates to what she will like. I have noticed lately beautiful emerald and radiant cuts actually around 1.3 to 1.0 in larger numbers than ever.
As for the setting problems, it is just a concern with me...simply show it to a jeweler to verify it won't be a problem. Good luck

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Have you purchased your diamond yet??

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1.7:1 ratio is VERY GAUNT for an emerald cut. It will look very long and skinny. I think I have an emerald cut up at the store that is a 1.62:1 ratio I can take a picture of for you.

Another thing that concerns me is the 61/61 ratio. Do you specifically know what the crown/pavilion angles/height is? I've tested many combinations of crown/pavilion combo's on emerald cuts and have a decent grasp on which are the best combo's. Some of the most brilliant emerald cuts I've located have tables that are at least 5% less than their total depths. But that in and of itself is no guarantee either as the crown/pavilion relationship is the most critical to the stones light return and brilliancy.

If you drop me an email I'll send you a pic of an emerald cut with a ratio that's close to what you are looking at to see if you think you're going to like that.

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree George. The 1.3 ratio has become quite popular. I find the highest demand is for ratios of 1.35-1.50:1 myself. That makes for a nice rectangular shape but as you said ... the length/width combo can be a matter of personal preference just like some people like chubby pears and others like them to look as close to that perfect tear-drop shape as possible.

George. My name is Jonathan and have a store out in Long Island NY for a little over 2 decades. It's a pleasure to make your aquaintance.

All the best,
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results