shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help in finding setting for my aquamarine

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I'm so excited. My Aquamarine trillion will be here either today or tomorrow, and I still don't know how (or where) I'm going to set it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have a local jeweler, but he is always months behind on his repair work orders so that I'd have no idea when he'd get the work done. And I'm not very confident that he could do a good job.

So, I'm looking for setting ideas, it's for a right hand ring, and also suggestions for jewelers to do the ring. I understand that Jeff who supplied the stone does jewelry, but I haven't seen any of his work so not sure if he does the kind of ring I'm hoping for. The heart setting I love because it has a bezel and a halo, not keen on shoulder stones, wouldn't want them. And the halo stones would either be blue sapphires or zircons or even topaz. I'd love those beautiful turquoise stones...Pads??? But think they might be out of my price range.

The scrollwork on the marquise is lovely and I can imagine a celtic (I'm Scottish) style scroll-work around my aqua. The last thing I want is for the ring to look like an engagement ring or traditional. I'm hoping for a contempory look that seems low to the hand. Does that make any sense? :lol: Thanks everyone.

This is the stone: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eL-2WFEuCBc&feature=youtu.be

And here are a few settings that have caught my attention:

img_4908.png

img_14710.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of halo. The frame around the ring provides a barrier for the edges of the stone . What I would avoid is any setting where the edges are exposed. In my experience, and I am very careful, I find that aquamarines can be "chippy. " I would also avoid settings where the stone is sitting up too high. Bezels have to be done by extremely good jewelers, because they can easily chip the stone, so I would prong set instead.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
That's a pretty large aquamarine- what are the dimensions? And the turquoise stones you're referring to -are you thinking about paraiba tourmalines? I'm not sure I'd like that color next to your aqua- but you could buy some melee and place next to it and see what you think. I believe Yvonne is running out, but is buying more at the show next week, but when it's gone she says it's gone and I haven't seen it available many other places.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. I didn't realize bezels were more difficult to do. Or that aquas were chippy.

Hi Pinkjewel, I can't remember the size of the stone but I think around 9mm. And yes, paraiba tormalines, I'm just looking for small stones to bring more of the color of the aqua out. What other stones would you suggest? Can you give me the link to Yvonne please. I don't know who that is. Thanks.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Got the Aquamarine on Saturday, but I'm returning it. It is a beautiful stone looking directly down on it, but when you tilt it slightly to the side you can see through it like clear glass. I don't want to see my finger through the stone.

I also got an Amethyst which is lovely; and a small peridot. The peridot is also being returned. It didn't sparkle like it did on the video and looked kinda dead.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElizabethR|1485833412|4122143 said:
Got the Aquamarine on Saturday, but I'm returning it. It is a beautiful stone looking directly down on it, but when you tilt it slightly to the side you can see through it like clear glass. I don't want to see my finger through the stone.

I also got an Amethyst which is lovely; and a small peridot. The peridot is also being returned. It didn't sparkle like it did on the video and looked kinda dead.

That's called a tilt window, and difficult to minimize in low RI stones like aquamarine. If you want a more minimal tilt window in a blue stone, you may want to opt for blue zircon.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. I'll be checking them out.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Zircons are very pretty, but may be too soft to wear in rings everyday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results