shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help if this is a good GIA diamond?

lucida

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance and your input for a very important diamond that I am looking to buy. I am not a jeweler, but it is my hobby and I have been saving for a very long time to purchase a large diamond and I can't afford to make a mistake of a lifetime.
Here's the info and a picture of the ring:

gia report number 2155429478
4.89 carats
Color Q-R
Clarity VS2
Cut Grade Good
Flourescence Strong Blue
Clarity Characteristics Feather, Cloud, Pinpoint, Natural, Extra Facet

The color I understand isn't desireable, but with that strong flourescence, it makes it appear whiter - am I right on that?
I did plug in the proportions in the Holloway app for the cut and it came back with a score of 3.0. I believe 2.0 and under is ideal, but it's not a bad cut. I understand that if the color was higher, the price would be 3-4x the price now. I know this isn't an investment grade or anything close, but I do not have $80k for a diamond of this size.
Is this a good diamond to buy for $30-$33k or not? They are asking for $33k, I'm hoping to lower it a bit if it's worth it.
I can also return it, however I'm not a jeweler, so other than the fact that it looks good to me, I can't quite do much with it, but it's extra security knowing that I can return it.

is this worth paying $30k-$33k???
Thank you for your time!

_35087.jpg

_35088.jpg

gia3.jpg

_35089.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut grade is listed as 'good' which is actually not that good. Now, it is a tremendous size and could easily be recut for a(comparatively) nominal fee (should you want ideal light performance) and is a pretty good price for the size.

Pricescope search comes up with a few 4.9 L's at 38-40k. Once you jump over 5ct they go up to 50k+

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Strong fluorescence will only help with color when it's in an environment with UV light to induce the color. So in most situations it won't boost the color. The crown angle is quite low. You could talk with a cutter to see how much weight might be lost in trying to get it recut. But as diamond of that size is still going to show a lot of color so unless you like it I would consider something else.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a well cut stone, big table, flat top + shallow cut = :knockout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a poorly cut round.
It has an HCA score of 3.2 so I'd reject it.
Light will leak out the bottom instead of being reflected back out the top to your eyes.

It's a good thing you are looking for a round though.
It is easier to find a well cut round than any other shape.
There is a bulletproof 2-step process, HCA and IS.

1. HCA: Plug four numbers from the GIA report into the HCA.
Depth%, Table % Crown angle and Pavilion angle both in degrees.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Reject rounds scoring over 2.0.
Get an IS pic on those scoring under 2.0 because the HCA is a tool for rejecting rounds, but for the final decision you need an IS pic.

2. IS, Idealscope https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare your IS pic to this chart or post the pic here for feedback.
http://ideal-scope.com/reference-chart-ideal-scope-images/

screen_shot_2015-10-28_at_4.png

idealscope_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucida|1446067089|3943156 said:
The color I understand isn't desirable, but with that strong flourescence, it makes it appear whiter - am I right on that?

Only under light that has ultraviolet in it, like sunlight.
Inside the fluor is not activated so it would not help a diamond look less yellow.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucida|1446067089|3943156 said:
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance and your input for a very important diamond that I am looking to buy. I am not a jeweler, but it is my hobby and I have been saving for a very long time to purchase a large diamond and I can't afford to make a mistake of a lifetime.
Here's the info and a picture of the ring:

gia report number 2155429478
4.89 carats
Color Q-R
Clarity VS2
Cut Grade Good
Flourescence Strong Blue
Clarity Characteristics Feather, Cloud, Pinpoint, Natural, Extra Facet

The color I understand isn't desireable, but with that strong flourescence, it makes it appear whiter - am I right on that?
I did plug in the proportions in the Holloway app for the cut and it came back with a score of 3.0. I believe 2.0 and under is ideal, but it's not a bad cut. I understand that if the color was higher, the price would be 3-4x the price now. I know this isn't an investment grade or anything close, but I do not have $80k for a diamond of this size.
Is this a good diamond to buy for $30-$33k or not? They are asking for $33k, I'm hoping to lower it a bit if it's worth it.
I can also return it, however I'm not a jeweler, so other than the fact that it looks good to me, I can't quite do much with it, but it's extra security knowing that I can return it.

is this worth paying $30k-$33k???
Thank you for your time!

I wouldn't buy it because the cut is so poor.
You are paying a ton of money for real diamond because of the light show a real diamond can deliver.
But it can only do that if the cut is good.
If your budget is fixed I'd do down in color, clarity, and carat, but please go up in cut.

Oh, and just because it looks good to you now doesn't mean it won't look worse after your learn more and see many well-cut rounds.

Remember, HCA under 2.0 and a good IS image.
Happy shopping.

miraj

Rough_Rock
Two thoughts:

(1) For such an unusual size and color combination, I could not find many comparable diamonds online. Call a reputable appraiser and ask for the appraiser to find comparable diamond prices. For such a large investment, the small appraiser cost to do a database search for you is worthwhile.

(2) Since diamond-hunting is your hobby, I assume you understand the implications in your choices of the 4Cs. So by interpreting the tradeoffs in the 4Cs that you selected, it seems to me that you are willing to sacrifice everything for size (carat). You don't seem to care about the typical diamond attributes that make it "good": whether the diamond is even close to white (color) or whether it sparkles a lot (cut). Since it appears you're not searching for something that looks "good" you can get a bigger diamond by going to a lower clarity level. For example, you can get this 4.83ct Q/SI1 for $25,372

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flat top (10%) + a giant size table (63%) = NO FIRE!.. :knockout:

ARDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think my post got deleted.

I was suggesting a triple Ex stone with better color, does this go against the forum rules (hence the post deletion)?

ARDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
"I agree to not sell things, shill or post ads, promotions or spam."

Ahh yes... that makes sense.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ARDiamonds|1446078633|3943229 said:
I think my post got deleted.

I was suggesting a triple Ex stone with better color, does this go against the forum rules (hence the post deletion)?

Scroll down and click on Forum Policy.
Read the section for Trade Members.

screen_shot_2015-10-28_at_5.png

adom

Rough_Rock
I found this discussion informative. I am trying to read as many stone discussions as I can. :)

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
ARDiamonds|1446078816|3943230 said:
"I agree to not sell things, shill or post ads, promotions or spam."

Ahh yes... that makes sense.

It was deleted, please check your email. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results