shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help identifying what kind of pearls these are

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
These pearls were left to my mother, by her sister, b1923.My mom gave them to me when her sister passed about 15 years ago.. They traveled all over and bought many lovely things up until the early 1990's.I have no idea where she got them or when. Can someone tell me what kind they are and if they are nice ? I do wear them but the string is stretched some and a bit wonky. They do have lots of imperfections. AV_,I know you will say to restring lol but I want to be sure it will be worth doing so.

Attachments

• 20200628_185722 (1).jpg
    20200628_185722 (1).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 50

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
These pearls were left to my mother, by her sister, b1923.My mom gave them to me when her sister passed about 15 years ago.. They traveled all over and bought many lovely things up until the early 1990's.I have no idea where she got them or when. Can someone tell me what kind they are and if they are nice ? I do wear them but the string is stretched some and a bit wonky. They do have lots of imperfections. AV_,I know you will say to restring lol but I want to be sure it will be worth doing so.

I just went to Ebay and it looks like they are cheap and from China. I think they are a pretty mix of color so I may see about a restring.At least the clasp is gold.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im no help really but here is my 2 cents
Definatly deserves restringing but remenber they will be shorter when restrung .... i know where you can get a few loose pearls if you want to retain its current length ;)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are they please?

Based on the photo alone, I believe they could be a mixture of Tahitian and South Sea pearls, not of particularly good quality, however, IMHO, they are worth re-stringing.

DK :))

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Im no help really but here is my 2 cents
Definatly deserves restringing but remenber they will be shorter when restrung .... i know where you can get a few loose pearls if you want to retain its current length ;)2
Thank you. I would actually prefer they be a drop shorter. Good to know!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
What size are they please?

Based on the photo alone, I believe they could be a mixture of Tahitian and South Sea pearls, not of particularly good quality, however, IMHO, they are worth re-stringing.

I am on vacation this week and posted this picture from my stored computer pictures. I have no idea on the size. How do I measure?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am on vacation this week and posted this picture from my stored computer pictures. I have no idea on the size. How do I measure?

Put a ruler next to them and take a pic when you can?

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
O K I will do that early next week when I return. Thank you!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Some of the pearls have the look of kasumi pearls, which typically have blemishes and are baroque in shape.
Japanese kasumi pearls are quite expensive. There are newer Chinese freshwater pearls that resemble the Japanese kasumi but are typically less expensive.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Some of the pearls have the look of kasumi pearls, which typically have blemishes and are baroque in shape.
Japanese kasumi pearls are quite expensive. There are newer Chinese freshwater pearls that resemble the Japanese kasumi but are typically less expensive.

Thank you!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
They don't scream eBay pearls to me. It's possible, but they seem to have a nice size to them. I don't know if fireball freshwaters were made 15 years ago, but they resemble those a bit to me, especially in some of the "oil slick" like colors for the darker pearls (dyed?). Definitely get them restrung and consider a different strand color for more interest. They also don't have to be super valuble to be wearable. I wear a cheapo $150 strand of multi baroque pink/peach/lavender freshwaters all the time, even moreso than some of my most expensive strands because they're wearable and really cheerful.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
They don't scream eBay pearls to me. It's possible, but they seem to have a nice size to them. I don't know if fireball freshwaters were made 15 years ago, but they resemble those a bit to me, especially in some of the "oil slick" like colors for the darker pearls (dyed?). Definitely get them restrung and consider a different strand color for more interest. They also don't have to be super valuble to be wearable. I wear a cheapo $150 strand of multi baroque pink/peach/lavender freshwaters all the time, even moreso than some of my most expensive strands because they're wearable and really cheerful.
I just happened to go to Ebay to see if I saw any like them with their awkward shapes. I saw some that were shaped like mine but different color and with silver clasp not gold. I like them so I will take the advice given here and restring them.Thank you!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I just happened to go to Ebay to see if I saw any like them with their awkward shapes. I saw some that were shaped like mine but different color and with silver clasp not gold. I like them so I will take the advice given here and restring them.Thank you!

You're welcome.

I think a nice lavender or rich purple cord would look nice on this strand. You might contact Patricia Saab on Etsy, I believe she's a mod on the Pearl forum website and her restringing costs are very reasonable, cheaper for me than going to my local jeweler (who charged $75-$100). She has all kinds of colored cords and might be able to tell you more about the pearls if you sent them to her in person and she could examine. Two birds, one stone. Restrung and potentially a little more knowledge about them for less than a traditional jeweler (at least in my area).

Last edited:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome.

I think a nice lavender or rich purple cord would look nice on this strand. You might contact Patricia Saab on Etsy, I believe she's a mod on the Pearl forum website and her restringing costs are very reasonable, cheaper for me than going to my local jeweler (who charged $75-$100). She has all kinds of colored cords and might be able to tell you more about the pearls if you sent them to her in person and she could examine. Two birds, one stone. Restrung and potentially a little more knowledge about them for less than a traditional jeweler (at least in my area).

Thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl:
Looking foward to seeing them restrung
Purple cord sounds awsome !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results