shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help identifying ring setting/era of manufacture!

Margaret6782

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm new here and hope this is the right place to post. I just purchased the ring pictured below - I love it, but I've never seen a setting like this. Does anyone know what this setting might be called, or have examples of similar rings with the stone mounted above the band? I'd also love best guesses as to how old it is :) thanks in advance! - Marg

ring1.PNG ring2.PNG ring3.PNG

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would love to see the back of the ring.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best GUESS is that you’re looking at a 40’s - 50’s era engagement ring to which someone has added a buttercup setting from an earring or pendant. The unadorned side of the ring looks like it was meant to snuggle up next to a matching wedding band. It’s possible the wedding band had a little hook that would have allowed the two rings to a actually be latched together.

There’s almost zero chance that the ring started its life with that buttercup setting attached. It would be very interesting to know how and why the two pieces were “married” together!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I see this as VRBeauty suggested. A combination of jewelry parts. I noticed it might even be part of the larger stone's buttercup setting wrapped around the back of the smaller stone and is visable on the other side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results