shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Identifying a Simon G Setting

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
I posted this in RockyTalky, but I can''t figure out how to move it or delete it. I figured I''d get more responses here. Sorry for the double-post in 2 different forums. Any help would be appreciated. It doesn''t even have to be a Simon G if another designer has the characteristics I''m looking for.

Hello all. I need help finding/identifying a particular Simon G ring. The only place I have seen it in person is a local B&M store. However, they refused to disclose to me the style/model of that ring. I even tried copying numbers along the inner band, but have had no luck. I looked at the Simon G lineup on their website and while there are rings that are similar, the actual ring is no where to be found.

The characteristics of the ring itself can be described as roughly .9-1.0 tcw, white gold. Square Halo, with four corner prongs to hold the middle diamond, pave with kite shaped diamonds on each side. On the front/back of the ring, diamonds are encrusted down to the halfway point. Below the halo on the front/back view, there is a V-shaped point with diamonds there too.

I''m beginning to wonder if the ring I saw was an older/discontinued style and the B&M has had a hard time selling it (probably because the diamond they paired with it is ugly). I asked how much the ring sold separately and they told me ~$4300. I believe that to be an insane markup because I''ve only see Simon G platinum rings go for that much online. At most, I would expect the ring to be ~$3500 considering it was white gold with ~1.0 tcw.

Of the following collection on the website, these are the ones that are somewhat similar... Unfortunately, Simon G doesn''t give you other viewing angles and my attempts to contact them using their contact page have resulted in no responses. We''ve looked at other rings but my girlfriend is adamant about the one I''ve described above...

Any help is appreciated. I have considered having it replicated through a custom ring and that might be my last resort if I cannot find it.

Style: MR1620
Problems: Kite shape on the sides are encrusted with round diamonds. The original ring had a single diamond in a kite shape. Also, it appears that there is no point with diamonds on the front/back portion of the halo.

Style: MR1667
Problems: If there were a round "version" of the ring I''m looking for, this would likely resemble it. The differences are that the halo is round in this picture. It should be square. In addition, there are no diamonds going along the front/back sides of the band. Finally, that tiny circle shape under the base of the halo on the front/back sides should come down to a V with diamonds.

Style: NR110
Problems: A little similar to the ring except this one houses a round diamond in a square halo. Also, no diamonds coming down the front/back sides of the diamond and there is no V below the halo. Finally, there are empty spaces around where the kite-shape on the sides.

RingLineup2.jpg

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Faluzure -

My bf and I were actually look at Simon G Rings for a very long time before we decided to go the custom route. They are gorgeous rings and for the most intricate ones you can expect to pay $4000(ish) even though they are set in white gold. I just wanted to let you know that if you find a ring that looks almost exactly like the one you saw EXCEPT the shape of the halo/center stone, then that is your ring. Simon G makes the setting you order to fit the shape and size of your center stone. Hence, it is likely that the store you saw the setting in may have ordered it in a different shape then it is advertised. So with SImon G, a beautiful round halo can easily be made into one that will fit a princess cut. That being said, I found this ring on Robbins Bro that I think is beautiful (and somewhat similar to what you were describing). It''s worth a look!

http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Simon-G--Jewelry-i25914.ring

Hope this helps..
1.gif

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 5:03:11 PM
Author: PavePrincess
Hi Faluzure -

My bf and I were actually look at Simon G Rings for a very long time before we decided to go the custom route. They are gorgeous rings and for the most intricate ones you can expect to pay $4000(ish) even though they are set in white gold. I just wanted to let you know that if you find a ring that looks almost exactly like the one you saw EXCEPT the shape of the halo/center stone, then that is your ring. Simon G makes the setting you order to fit the shape and size of your center stone. Hence, it is likely that the store you saw the setting in may have ordered it in a different shape then it is advertised. So with SImon G, a beautiful round halo can easily be made into one that will fit a princess cut. That being said, I found this ring on Robbins Bro that I think is beautiful (and somewhat similar to what you were describing). It''s worth a look!

http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Simon-G--Jewelry-i25914.ring

Hope this helps..
1.gif
PavePrincess: Thanks for replying! Since you went the custom route, did you find that it was more/less/the same in price compared to your Simon G ring that you were looking at? Also, what store did you go with for custom-made rings? Although there are many recommendations on diamond vendors & stock jewelry stores, I have yet to find someone recommend a custom jewelry maker... let alone the pricing for such a route.

That Robbin''s Brothers ring is also very pretty. I''m not sure how my girlfriend would like those side diamonds that are pronged (rather than recessed in as a kite). For some reason, she also likes diamonds on the front/back of the band in addition to the sides.

I think I too would have to go a custom route... since it seems like her 2nd choice is a ring sold by Adiamor (who told me I have to get it custom made) for resizing.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Falzure!

Sorry that I''m making you look all over for my responses! I just commented on one of your other posts about the Adiamor setting (very pretty). Well, the SImon G ring that I was really looking at was much different than the ring we ended up with, so it''s kind of hard to do an accurate price comparison.

This was the Simon G ring I wanted
http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Simon-G--Jewelry-i26137.ring

I know Robbins Brothers prices it at $4,200, but we were quoted $3,700 at our local jeweler. I think it may have been a little bit more for Simon G to make the round halo into one that would accommodate a princess stone, but I think the difference was negligible. We were also told that to have it made in platinum we should expect an $800 (or so) price increase. So, that would leave the Simon G setting costing about $4,500. After obsessing over that ring for 4 months, my boyfriend convinced me that the Simon G ring may be too trendy. Like your girlfriend, I wanted something different that most people don''t have.. but not something that I may not like in 20 years. So...

The custom setting that we ordered cost $6,000. It looks pretty similar to this Martin Flyer ring, except I wanted a pretty diamond basket (under gallery).
http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/martin-flyer/flyerfit-micro-pave-platinum-diamond-halo-setting-mf-5211scue-set-1440.aspx

So - $100 difference (plus, CA sales tax.. urgh!) seemed fair and appropriate for our custom ring. By the way, we ordered our ring from an OUTSTANDING jewelry store in the Bay Area named Joe Escobar. If you''re in the area, I highly recommend stopping in their store.

Bottom line - I don''t think there is a huge price difference between custom rings and designers such as Simon G and Martin Flyer. Instead of paying for the designer''s name you''re paying for the fine craftsmanship! Sorry about the long post, I hope it helped!

n54327458198_1631422_6926848.jpg

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Just an update. I contacted GOG and they said if I go with them, the Simon G ring will cost $3,900 & the Adiamor will cost $4,800 (rough estimates). Yikes! I have yet to call Adiamor directly (or any other vendor) to get their pricing.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
If that''s for a new setting, that sounds about right. The SImon G ring that I liked was quoted at $3,700 and that was for white gold as well. I would be very surprised if you were able to find the type of setting (Simon G) you''re looking at for under $3,700. It sucks to have a gf with expensive taste..
2.gif

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 3:25:27 PM
Author: PavePrincess
If that''s for a new setting, that sounds about right. The SImon G ring that I liked was quoted at $3,700 and that was for white gold as well. I would be very surprised if you were able to find the type of setting (Simon G) you''re looking at for under $3,700. It sucks to have a gf with expensive taste..
2.gif
Haha... tell me about it. However, the prices she quoted were to custom make & replicate the Simon G ring (not the exact ring). Not bad for a custom considering they have to make it from scratch...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results