shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help from experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Agent

Rough_Rock
I have placed this diamond on hold (so I can think on it over the weekend). Of course, I will have an independent look at it b/4 purchasing. But on the numbers, do you guys think it's a good deal?

Round Brilliant H&A, G, SI1,.816, 6.09-6.12x3.71, $2,462
AGS 1: polish: excellent
symmetry: ideal
proportion: ideal

Depth: 60.7%
Table: 55%
CH: 34.3 degrees
PD: 41.1 degrees (this may not be right...hard to read)
girdle: .7% to 1.0%
flour: negligible (i assume a very slight blue)
culet: pointed

Some of these #s are real hard to read...they faxed the AGS certificate.

Agent

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention. The girdle seems a little too thin. Will it be a problem mounted in a 6 prong Tiffany setting?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girdle is a little thin but not horribly so in my opinion. Seems more like thin-medium whichseems to be typical of alot of GIA graded stones.

Something interesting is that when I ran these #'s through the HCA....the #'s you input above yielded a 2.2 VG VG VG VG (VG). Right out of the excellent range. Tricky.

When I modified the pav angle from 41.1 to 41 the score dropped drastically to 1.5 HCA EX VG VG VG (EX)

When I modified the pav angle from 41 to 40.9 the score dropped again to 1.3 EX EX VG VG (EX)

Once more to 40.8 the score dropped to 1 EX EX EX VG (EX)

So those AGS angles you find hard to read may be very crucial. Is there a way to call the vendor to confirm the angles. That may make a huge difference in how this diamond performs. As you can see..small variations may make a difference.

Note the HCA is only one tool to be used for evaluation, but it's a good way to weed out the chaff. I'd get the real #'s and if those ARE the real #'s...you make the decision on whether or not you want a stone slightly out of the excellent range (all VG is not bad at all..but not EX) with a slightly thin girdle.

The price seems very good...so with all other things taken into consideration, this could be a great buy on a budget. You get an AGS 1 stone, with a VG across the board HCA score, for a good price.

Hope this helps!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash cut their Superideal Cut diamonds with a girdle range from 0.7%. In another post Cut Nut states that a thin girdle is okay with a 34-35 degrees crown angle which you have on your stone. He also states that a thin girdle has a considerable risk of chipping if coupled with a shallower depth and crown stone.

QUOTED FROM POST: Appraiser told me to stay away from Superideal Cut Diamonds:

CUT NUT: "Most diamonds with thin girdles also have shallow crown angles and there is a big risk of chipping.
Thick girdled stones tend to be steeper deeper.
So your appraiser friend has made his opinion based on experiance, but he has not thought through that the guys cutting these super ideals are working between 34 and 35 crown angle and 40.5 to 41 pavilion angle. He simply does not know what he is talking about."

The HCA and Ideal-Scope Cut Quality Crusader!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jim34 and what have you got to gain??
nono.gif

jim34

Rough_Rock
noting!! just helping to nice people!!!
wouldnt you do that?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes but I would get a dictionary first if I were you.
By the way if you contact the moderator you can buy advertising space on this site I believe.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Interesting Jim34.

You only registered today. Members of this forum do not know anything about your level of knowledge. Yet you are posting in many threads to contact an unknown vendor.
nono.gif

New members and visitors to Price Scope should use caution regarding this endorsement.
rolleyes.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Agent~

Based on the asking price you stated, $2462, you may have a big part of your answer right there. Price Scope Vendors asking prices for similar color, clarity, and carat weight diamonds are:

Class 1A cut - from $2005 to $2527
Hearts and Arrows - from $2863 to $3160

That would explain the pavillion angle at 41.1 degrees and an HCA rating over 2. At 2.2, the HCA probably had a comment of "Recommended buy if the price is right."

If the PA is indeed 41.1 degrees, this may be an example of what the experts have been telling us about. A diamond being marketed as an H&A that does not exhibit truly clean, crisp, clear patterns.

At 0.7 to 1.0%, the girdle does seem thin. New Line ACA's tend to range from 0.7 to 1.3% or 0.7 to 1.4% with a girdle average around 1.0%. Is this girdle dangerously thin???... I don't know. Need an expert to answer that one.
1.gif

highendgems

Rough_Rock
personally, i stay away from H&A stones--marketing ploy and sometimes the superideals look worse than a nice ideal.

go up to 1 carat so you can get more light through the stone and cause more brilliance.

the HCA rating on this stone is marginal, so this H&A will nnot face up as good as other stones that probably cost much less.

you really want a HCA rating of lees than 2.0 to be ideal. If you can hit 1.0, then you are going to be smiling ear to ear for the rest of your and her life.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Highend,

May I ask where your expertise comes from? And, why is it that you are pulling very old threads to post to, since it is probably fruitless to comment on these diamond selections now. I am sure these people have already made their decisions.

nuthead

Rough_Rock
A few days ago I asked a jeweller to give me a stone, here are the specs that I want:

1. Cost, not more than $10,800
2. Caret: between 1.45 and 1.55.
3. Clarity: VS1 and better
4. Color Grade: G and better
5. Color Type: 1
6. Flourescence: None
7. Table %: 53 to 61%
8. Crown Angle: 34 to 35
9. Crown Height: 16.2%
10. Pavilion Angle: 40.75
11. Pavilion Depth: 42.52 to 43.50%
12. Girdle Thickness: Medium
13. Total Depth%: 56 to 61%
14. Polish: Excellent
15. Symmetry: Excellent

He came back and said that the clarity would be VS1 or VS2, the color would be low G or high H.

Please let me know 1) if my specs are right. I heard pavillion angle at 41 is better than at 40.75. Is that true? 2)If I got a good bargain

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results