Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help from Asscher Experts.

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
Hi everyone, I have been lurking around in this forum for a year. I finally decided to join and post because I learn so much and appreciate all the regulars here to help. My time is up and my girlfriend is having itchy finger syndrome. We went to our local jeweler about a year ago to look at a 2ct Asscher and she fell in love from that moment on. I never realize that finding a nice Asscher would be so hard especially when the brick and mortar hardly even carry any. Anyways, I found a stone online at JA and thought it is pretty nice but the center pavilion might have light leakage according to the ASET image. On the video it looks pretty ok but according to JA, the brightest area is on the perimeter. Can anybody give some pointers? Its a 1.82ct I vs1. Thanks everyone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.82-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-815795

457346.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I'd give it a B.

What is your budget? Let me see what I can find for you.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
That's just for the stone, right?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
See if they can get you a real ASET of this one (not computer generated): http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8006589-2.22-carat-Asscher-diamond-I-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

This one is not likely to ASET out: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.02-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-179788 But it's the only other one at JA that has a little potential at the size/price range you are at. And this one is a possible, over budget though: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.04-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-222226
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
I was able to request for a ASET image for the 1.82 I from Enchanted Diamond, but the 2ct is in LA. The 2.22 for B2C Jewels looks greats with nice spread but I wasn't able to get an ASET because the 3rd party don't have the proper tools. I would first need to purchase the diamond and get it examine in house. I'm am a bit concern about the light leakage on one of the pavilion. With JA, I'm out of credit for ASET images. Thanks again Gypsy for taking your time to look for these.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Hmm. Where are you located?
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
Im located in San Francisco CA. Just went to look at one 2ct Asscher today and the table is pretty dead. It had a 68% table and a 66% depth. There is no selection in Brick and Mortar.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so, I might as well offer. I am doing this for someone else right now on here.

If you want to get your top choices. Get 2 or 3 of them. I have an ASET and I live in the bay area. I can meet with you at a local store, Joe Escobar, and we can evaluate the stones you have with you. You can pick the one that's the nicest, return the others and you'll be good to go.

I also own an asscher myself and know a fair bit about them.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
beefytoro|1456201765|3994287 said:
The 2.22 for B2C Jewels looks greats with nice spread but I wasn't able to get an ASET because the 3rd party don't have the proper tools. I would first need to purchase the diamond and get it examine in house.
Do this.

beefytoro|1456201765|3994287 said:
With JA, I'm out of credit for ASET images. Thanks again Gypsy for taking your time to look for these.
They track the ASET requests by name and email address. Just saying.

You can order the 2 carat in LA.
 

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 11, 2012
Messages
2,765
Gypsy|1456203734|3994300 said:
Okay so, I might as well offer. I am doing this for someone else right now on here.

If you want to get your top choices. Get 2 or 3 of them. I have an ASET and I live in the bay area. I can meet with you at a local store, Joe Escobar, and we can evaluate the stones you have with you. You can pick the one that's the nicest, return the others and you'll be good to go.

I also own an asscher myself and know a fair bit about them.
You are in good hands with Gypsy. :wavey:

Listen to her counsel...:)
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
Gypsy|1456203840|3994303 said:
beefytoro|1456201765|3994287 said:
The 2.22 for B2C Jewels looks greats with nice spread but I wasn't able to get an ASET because the 3rd party don't have the proper tools. I would first need to purchase the diamond and get it examine in house.
Do this.

beefytoro|1456201765|3994287 said:
With JA, I'm out of credit for ASET images. Thanks again Gypsy for taking your time to look for these.
They track the ASET requests by name and email address. Just saying.

You can order the 2 carat in LA.
Thanks Gypsy. What you think about the 2.22? Just a little concern about the light leakage on the pavilion.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I think all the facets but one look nice and it's huge. So... for me, it's worth seeing in person.
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
Just pulled the trigger. Now the waiting game begins. :pray: hope it turn out great in person.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
If you want to meet in person, and for me to bring my ASET, contact me through Diamond Bistro my name on there is Plizzard and I will help you.

Which ones did you buy?
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
I got the 2.22ct. Couldn't resist the size and I like the contrast. I'll keep you posted Gypsy.
 

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Messages
202
I'm a little unsure about the dead step. I suspect it doesn't light up when tilted, at any angle. Can you confirm? A bigger diamond and spread is only really of benefit (in my opinion) when it has a light performance equivalent to the smaller candidate. I personally would pass on this stone, though the dead step may be a trade off you personally are willing to make for the carat size and spread.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Yeah. No. It's got the same performance basically as the first one you posted the ASET of. Nearly identical ASETs.

It was boderline and I included it really only because of the chance it would be better than the picture showed and it's spread.

The other ones I recommended should have better performance.
 

beefytoro

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Messages
15
Looks pretty good in person. The leakage gives it a bit more depth and contrast. Hmm....undecided. :wall: :wall:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
You have a few days. Live with it and see what you think of it. If that facets flashes and lights up, it could still be nice.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top