shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help for gift choice

losthusband2

Rough_Rock
Good morning,
I am active duty military and want to get my wife pearls for her birthday and for staying with me through a rough couple of months recently. I have been doing some research and have somewhat narrowed it down to the following and need some help choosing.

I found these earrings and think they look beautiful, but am unsure about the quality of the pearl because they are from the 1950's. Although I think the age adds to the beauty of the earrings.
http://www.topazery.com/antique-jewelry-item-ea2232.htm

I have also been looking at this set, I could get an entire set for the same price as just the earrings listed above.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set922.aspx

My options are to get her the vintage earrings now and get her a matching necklace later or just get the whole set now. We will be relocating to Japan in about 6 months so if I get the earrings now I could probably get a Hanadama necklace to go with it later while in Japan as I imagine they would be cheaper over there. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally really like the Freshadama set from Pearl Paradise. I've made many purchases from them and have always been happy. I think that would make a lovely gift.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hi there. Not sure if you were asking for opinions between those two things or opinions in general, with those two things as possibilities?

It is all so subjective, so for what it's worth: I am not crazy about the earrings. I don't know many (or really, any) women with pierced ears who wear clip-ons, and they just strike me as kind of "granny." And, the freshadama set (6.5-7.0) is very small pearls. Unless your wife just prefers tiny jewelry, that is a size usually more recommended for young girls. I'm assuming she doesn't already own pearls, so if it was me (and the general pattern it seems like women tend to follow on their pearl journey) I would want the classic set. 8mm is a nice size, and stud earrings at least a half mm larger. The AAA grade is also quite wonderful, and much less costly. A bracelet is nice, but I think of the "essentials" as necklace and earrings, so I'd easily forfeit that to stay within price range and get the larger pearls. I'd also much rather have the larger pearls than freshadama grade. I think size is much more noticeable. Something like this:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace544.aspx
18 inch is, I believe, the most popular. I'd go with that. 16 inch, to me, is a bit "choker-ish." Upgraded to AAA grade- $422

http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace746.aspx
Or this, freshadama, 7.5-8.0, 18 inch- $378. (I would still prefer the slightly larger, slightly lower grade ones above but to me, it would be a close choice).

Earrings- http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-774.aspx
Freshadama, 8.5-9.0- Upgrading to the best of the best grade for the earrings- $106

White or yellow gold, whichever she usually wears when she gets dressed up, or matching her wedding rings. If you order them together, they can match the pearl overtones closely on strand and earrings.

That's a high quality set that goes anywhere. I think it would be very hard to go wrong with it. But, again, just my opinion. Also, haha, I don't work for PP or anything. They just have a huge selection and I've found them to be very helpful. If you aren't sure about anything, if you call or use the chat function (email can take longer) they'll photograph a couple of strands and email you the pics to compare.

I don't know about prices in Japan, but I can't imagine a hanadama strand being in the neighborhood of the prices we're talking, even in Japan. (maybe someone else will know, though. I'm only guessing on that). So, I hope this was anything you wanted to know. Sorry if you're already way ahead of me in narrowing down what you want! Good luck.

rengb6

Rough_Rock
I agree with the poster above that the pearls in the set are just to small for a grown woman. They are beautiful but just to small. Perhaps you could get her a pair of earrings for now and then help her build the set in time? Here are my suggestions! I am partial to earrings and I received this pair for christmas but with Tahitian pearls. You can request the setting with whatever pearls you think would look best on your wife.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Blossom-Collection-White-South-Sea-Baroque-Pearl-Dangle-Earrings4270.aspx

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The antique pearl earrings are beautiful, but inless she wears old fashion screw backs, I wouldn't buy them. They are uncomfortable and are easily lost. You could have them remodeled into pierced but you may need to remove the pearls from the setting in order to add the post. Pearls don't like heat.

You more than likely will get a better deal buying Hanadama grade pearls from PP than you buying them yourself in Japan. PP buys in large lots and gets price points because of the quanity they purchase. They are known for the great prices they pass on to their customers.

losthusband2

Rough_Rock
Good evening,
I appreciate all the replies, I also spoke with her family about the choices and they agree that the earrings are a no go. I bought the Freshadama 7.5-8.0 mm set from Pearl Paradise and went with the silver clasp to match her wedding rings. I hope I didn't make the wrong decision on pearl size, I can afford the larger set but it didn't seem like that big of a difference for near double the cost. The website says a 90 day guarantee on their items, I wonder if they would have a problem with me exchanging them for the larger size and just paying the difference if they look too small? Do you think the 7.5-8.0 mm set will look good?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Losthusband, (or hopefully "found" husband now, haha) in my opinion yes, that is a fine size and a good choice. And yes, they will let you return/exchange/upgrade. I'm not sure how long that goes for but I think it says on the site. Please let us know how it goes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results