shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding similar setting for e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post to Pricescope, but have been lurking for many weeks now. Knowing how knowledgeable everyone is here, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction to find a particular setting.

I''ve attempted to attach a picture of the setting in question, but if that doesn''t work, go to http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=3 and look at the 3rd ring down, stock # 6166. As you can see, the ring is a complete piece, I was hoping to find the setting separate from the diamond.

My girlfriend loves the antique look of the ring. I especially love how the ring has open areas to it and looks very ornate. My girlfriend is actually very particular about the band, the diamond is second-fiddle. I still plan getting a decent diamond though, hopefully keeping the total package between $2000-$3000.

I''m sure I''ll have tons more to post, but I figured I should start small and build up to the bigger questions about the diamonds, over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Jake

6166b.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hey Jake, what a beautiful ring! I too love the antique look, and feel similar about the band over the diamond. There are many posts on PS with links to sites with antique style settings, which I'm sure you can find if you do a search here, if you are struggling to find more. A new site I just learned of (www.whitehousebrothers.com) has some very beautiful styles! Enjoy searching! We'll be looking forward to your following posts.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
After searching the web endlessly, I have still been unable to locate a ring that is even remotely similar in design. Now I have to consider another possibility... do I buy a ring with a diamond already preset?

I know this is usually a big no-no and it's something I would prefer not to do... however, the band is exactly what my girlfriend would like and it's actually in the price range I was hoping to keep it. I figure I'd be able to get a better looking diamond if I purchase it separately.

Here are the specs on the ring :
- Center Round Brilliant cut diamond
- .63 carats
- H color
- SI1 clarity
- Set in delicate platinum filligree mounting which is an exact replica of a circa 1910 original.

Ok... so what should I ask about the ring in order to determine if it's a good diamond? How do I determine if the cut of the diamond is well done?

Any information on how I can determine if this is the ring for me, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Jake

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It may make sense to buy this whole ring if you can verify that this is not a dog stone. Ask the jeweler for the specs of the center stone and if/who certified it. Besides what you already have, the specs should include depth, table size, crown and pavilion angles, girdle and culet info. If they have an idealscope to view it with, that would be usefull.

My bet is that they won't be able to easily provide all of the info for you. If he has a sarin report on the stone you'll be in good shape. If not, you're are going to have to take what he has and decide if it is enough. You eyes can help you there. You should look at the stone in all kinds of light -- especially not the store halogen lights, as everything looks good under those.

So...check out what you can find out, and come back for info and/or opinions here.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried emailing them? Since it says it's a replica, they might actually have a source for just the semi-mount.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why haven't I seen this thread earlier?
The setting you selected is a reproduction. As far as I know these are made by (or at the order of) the seller, so it is not unconcivable that they could sell one without the stone. Of course, I do not know wether you have already inquired about this... but if not, I would. As you know, the same store also sells settings, so why not?

As for the diamond, it may help to have it appraised and checked both for external cut quality (proportions, symmetry, polish...) and optical properties (light return). I surely hope that diamonds coe with lab certificates for these settings, if it turnes out that the setting cannot be purchased without a stone after all. If this is the case, I would also ask the seller if they could source an ideal cut. I hope they could accomodate your request... of course.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Definitely call or email Leigh, the guy whose business that is. When I bought a setting from him last year, he had a bunch of new reproductions that he hadn't yet gotten around to posting on his site. Maybe that's the situation now. In any case, if he had the setting made for that ring, I'm sure he can have it made again for your ring. He's a sweet guy and very responsive to customers.

If you're anywhere near New York, you can go look at his settings in person.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
I am always amazed at how quick answers pop up on this forum. A few short hours and I have what seems to be the answers to all my questions.

I did e-mail the website about a week ago regarding purchasing the setting on it's own, but have yet to hear back from them. Perhaps another e-mail is in order.

I do live in Albany, NY which is about 2 hours away from NYC... maybe a trip down to see this in person wouldn't hurt either.

I'll definitely keep everyone informed on what happens with the ring. If it's not available separately, I'll see how the specs read and post everything I find right here.

Thanks!
Jake

bht122

Rough_Rock
Have you seen this site: http://www.filigreerings.com/frings/r/8.php#?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Jake, Albany is 2hrs away for you? Wow...I must be driving like a grandma!
sick.gif

Good luck and when you see it in person, if you get a chance to, tell us how you liked it. Sometimes a picture is lovely but in person it can be not quite what you are expecting. That happened to me with my e-ring band, and I just set it simply (plain jane white goldpronged thing) so I can find a better setting later on. Good luck!!!
wavey.gif

Jake518

Rough_Rock
I heard back from Leigh at Antiqueengagementrings.com. The ring is available without the stone. He said it would be $310 in platinum and $210 in 14k white gold. So I am a very happy man. My girlfriend doesn't care what metal it's set in... heck, she said she would be happy with sterling silver. So I'm thinking I'll be getting the white gold setting, which will allow for another $100 towards the rock
1.gif

I know this is going to be a pretty vague question, but what kind of diamond can I expect to get for around $2500? Or if that isn't something someone can answer, what are the best websites for diamonds? I know I want the diamond to be certified (I believe GIA to be the best) and ideally would like the certification # to be laser inscribed on the girdle for verification purposes.

Well... thanks for all the help. I know I have a huge task in front of me, but I know with all the resources I have here, I'm sure it'll be very painless... hopefully
1.gif

Jake

PS - Nicrez - yep, you must be driving like a Grandma
2.gif
. Actually, I underestimated travel time to NYC from Albany... it's closer to 2.5 hours.

bht122 - I checked out www.filigreerings.com and they have some very nice rings. Very close to what I want. Thanks!

debaser

Rough_Rock
Jake, I have been lurking and looking for a similar setting for a month or two now. Did you see this setting at antiqueengagementrings.com? I think this is the setting I want, but I don't know if I can get it made for a marquise cut diamond.

Maybe it's weird to think this, but i'm wondering about the quality of their settings. 310$ for a platinum filigree setting seems really really cheap - or maybe it's just cheap compared to the cost of the stones i'm looking at to put into it.

L1021A.jpg

L1021b.jpg

L1021c.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly believe that 310 is ok (as is the other price)... the retail prices for e-ring settings are very overstated: it does seem to me that these price reflect more percentages of diamond price than anything else. This setting would be much more durable in platinum, and given the high variance of diamond prices from one seller to the next, the saving on gold vs plat setting may be absorbed by some shopping arround alone.

Choosing a diamond? This is what Pricescope is all about !!!!

As I can see, the mounting is presented with a 0.6cts diamond... There should be a serious collection of ideal cuts in this price and size range, so how about the choices below?

0.64cts, D-SI2, H&A, $2113
wacko.gif

0.67cts, G-VS1, $2500 (with some impressive Iscope signature)

0.72cts, H-VS1, $2705 - HCA 1.1

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Valeria101 - Now those are some good looking stones. I really like the first one (.64cts, D-SI2, H&A, $2113). I'm guessing a SI2 diamond will not be "eye clean" though. I'll have to e-mail goodoldgold.com and see what they say. So, you would recommend I look at a platinum ring, just due to the durability factor?

Here's what I was hoping to find :

Cut - I want a ideal cut, since that's what everyone has said to get the best sparkle out of the diamond.
Color - somewhere between G-J
Clarity - I would just like it to be "eye clean", therefore VS1-SI1
Carat - once all the other requirements are met, whatever the biggest diamond my $2500 can afford me
1.gif

How's that?

Debaser - I was thinking the same thing about the rings. They are pretty darn cheap... atleast in comparison to everything else I've seen. But I've heard good things about the website and dealer on Pricescope, so I think it'll be ok. BTW, I did see that ring you posted. That was actually my 2nd choice. It has a more organic feel to the ring, I liked it very much.

Jake

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Good job, Jake! I'm you found your ring. I, too, would suggest not skimping and paying a bit extra for platinum.

I think your choices are very good for your budget. Sensible and doable. I'm curious to see if Jonathan's stone is eyeclean, but I'd also ask him if he has other stones. He also carries stones he doesn't conduct all those tests on and they tend to be cheaper because of it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the D_SI: I believe it has great chances to be eye clean, given size and cut quality. Imagine that whatever imperfection in the stone would not be more than 1mm and not visible from most angles - this at worst. As far as I know GOG, they would not list a stone with some black blob in the middle of the table. The optics of that stone really leave little to be desired: I would definitely ask about it.

As for the general specs... I translate your priorities as: D-G, eye clean, 0.6-0.8 cts, and great optics H&A, AGS0, or as Iscope shows, Right ?

The selection of stones brokered by GOG (as Hest mentions) are listed by their "H&A search engine" and either "partial" or "complete" service (menaing battery of tests) can be asked for them. Below is what this search tool yielded
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted for ages to put one of these lists through the HCA, and now it happened... None one these stones are "disqualified" but the HCA, although, according to the reading instructions of the "Cut Advisor" I used, stones scoring above 2 are to be preffered (or have better chances to show the optical quality HCA is designed to indicate).

My pick form the list below is the F-VS. The D-SI2 remains a competitor, I guess and I hope to hear about it, of course...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HAnotes.JPG

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Ok, this is actually my third attempt at this post... technical issues.

Valeria - I really appreciated all the help you've been giving. I wouldn't have known where to begin otherwise.

On GOG, the D-SI2 .64crts has pics now and is listed as being eye-clean. I should still go and get the dimensions on Table, Crown Angle and Pavilliion Angle to run it through the HCA, right?

I have to admit, I was a little lost with the chart posted. If I look at the 1st and 4th diamond, they are 2.1 and 2.4, which reads "very good - good buy if price is right". While the 5th diamond, is rated as "excellent - within TIC range". So, which is better?

You also mentioned the diamond should have great optics H&A, AGSO or as Iscope shows. What's AGSO? Also, how much more do you pay for H&A usually? Can you have great optics and an excellent cut, and it not be a H&A?

Ok... I think that'll be all my questions for right now. But I'm sure I'll come up with more tomorrow. Please excuse my basic knowledge, but I think I'm getting to grasp this whole diamond thing
1.gif

Thanks!

Jake

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Ok, I lied... I actually have one more question... that was lost during one of my previous attempts at posting. On the chart, there are two prices "Full Service" and "Broker's Price"... what's the difference?

Thanks,

jake

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to take these in order...

About the D-SI:
Given the pics and the tests already available on the stone, the HCA would no longer add anything to them. Tests done directly on the stone (such as IdealScope, Isee, Bscope, etc) are more precise - by design - than the HCA. The purpose of the HCA is to eliminate from the race stones with no chance to get good rates not he other direct tests. This stone is a great, hard to find, buy.

About the HCA scores in the table:
All scores above 2 indicate great stones: following the mission of the HCA to "weed out" the so-so cuts rather than pinpoint the absolute best. If these were mathematical models of diamonds rather than actual stones, a 2.4 score would be substantially (although not 2.4 times) worse than a score of 1 (considered most desirable, on average). These are real stones: so the fact that the HCA does not take into account an array of highly relevant cut features (minor facet execution...) makes me take these scores as approximate: the respective overlooked cut details could greatly compensate for the lower score.

About the two prices:
HERE's the explanation...

MY conclusion? you are not very likely to find another like the D-SI (top color, top optics on all conceivable tests, eye clean and great value). The only argument to go for another would be size, but to drop from such heights... for another tenth of carat does not make any sense to me. Of course, this is my 0.2 and your $$$
5.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
A comment on the setting, since I own a setting from antiqueengagementrings.com.

I would definitely go with platinum if I were you. I know it might not look it on the screen, which makes everything look huge, but that's going to be a very delicate, narrow setting. There's really not a lot of metal there. Platinum is stronger than gold--you'll be safer with plat. The price difference is not that big, considering.

Jake518

Rough_Rock
Based on everyone's suggestion, I planned on spending the extra money on the platinum version of the ring. If I remember correctly, doesn't platinum get mixed with one of two other metals. Is there anything specific to look for in a "good and durable" platinum ring?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Jake, you probably don't have much choice in what mix of plat if you choose that ring. However, for that something that intricate my preference would be 90% plat/10% Iridium. Alternatively, you've got 95% plat/5% Ruthenium, which is also commonly used. Both should be safe for a lifetime of wear. You can check, but I doubt that they would use an inferior mix of plat for this ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results