shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding cushion cut

ybainz

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have been reading on here lately and need some advice and help selecting a diamond for an engagement ring. Here is what I have been looking for:

2.1-2.9 carats
vs1 or vs2
g-h color
budget: ~20k
I do not like the crushed ice look
I'd like for diamond to look as big as possible when looking at it from the top

I was shown the below diamond at the local jewelry store and wanted to get your guys thoughts on it. I like it but if you split the diamond in an X, it looks like two sections (top & bottom) look like crushed ice, and the other two look normal. this has been confused and i am thinking maybe it is not symmetrical. I tried looking at the aset at the shop but we could not get it to work. I did look at it under the firescope. To me it looks like the two sections that look like crushed ice are leaking light. Would you guys recommend this diamond or should i keep looking? Any advice on where to look =? I'd really appreciate any advice. thank you in advance

screen_shot_2016-04-24_at_2.png screen_shot_2016-04-24_at_2.png screen_shot_2016-04-24_at_2_1.png screen_shot_2016-04-24_at_2_2.png screen_shot_2016-04-24_at_2_3.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you don't like the crushed ice look, I don't think you should buy a diamond you don't love.

I'll see what I can find with your specs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need an ASET for any of the ED stones. Several of those may not ASET out well. The six mains like the G VS1 have a habit of being either fabulous or completely green and underwelming. And the pictures on the site don't help you figure out which is which.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modern cushions are difficult, because you MUST have photos and preferably an ASET, and JA and ED are the only two that provide a lot of pictures, but you can't always get ASETs (but as Gypsy said, you can at least ask). So few modern cushions are really great that you rarely ever will find a good one at a random local jeweler.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the one I recommend you buy:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-21-Carat-F-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-3DM85L

Or this one, to save a little money:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-2-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-83K8S6

Another option (I prefer the other two though):
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-01-Carat-H-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-1UPGLE

:wavey:

ASET images are already posted for you. So all you have to do is click on the one you like and buy it. ANY of them will give you a lovely stone. A "firescope" is not helpful with cushions. Only rounds. With cushions you need an ASET scope instead. It's not the amount of light return (what a firescope measures) that matters by itself, its the quality of the and where it is being reflected from (which is what an ASET scope measures). You can ignore the vendor assigned cut score. The ASET trumps it.

DS, I don't know if you know this, but if you go to the ED Advanced Search you can limit you search to only those stones with a posted ASET. I find it helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results