shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding/choosing chrysoberyl

DBouchard

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a while as I recently got engaged and have been in the process of planning a custom engagement ring :) Mostly through what I learned from you all, I decided to go with chrysoberyl for the center stone as it sounds like it is the sturdiest stone that comes in the color I want (bright yellowish green), which is important as I plan to wear the ring everyday. I am hoping to get a 7mm x 7mm cushion cut, with pear shaped sides stones (probably diamonds) in a trellis-type setting (I am planning to get the diamonds and setting locally - I am currently living in Egypt- but there are almost literally no colored stones here whatsoever).

Anyway, based on your recommendations, I contacted several cutters and am still waiting for some responses but so far most of them have said they do not have any appropriate rough. Dan Stair said he would recut a stone for me and Michael at gemshoppe said that you all might be able to point me in the right direction as far as who has some nice chrysoberyl at the moment. I noticed that several of the nicest chrysoberyls I have seen here were from Tan, and I was just looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-18ct-Hi-End-Cushion-Vivid-Greenish-Yellow-Chrysoberyl-/250906529679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6b31cf8f

I was hoping for something a bit greener but the greener ones he has I find a bit dark, whereas I think this one is nice and bright! Thoughts? Or other good potential sources?

Also, Uli said a colleague of his has some appropriate rough - Harry Neumaier (www.ambrae.de). Has anyone worked with him?

Also, John B at gemrite said he has also seen sapphires in the color, but I have never seen any that weren't brown and olivey... Any idea if they really exist or where to find them? I already looked at the Natural Sapphire Co. And if I were able to find a nice colored sapphire in that size, would it be a lot more expensive?

Any and all thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

Thanks,
Danielle

DBouchard

Rough_Rock
Also, what do you think about these from AJS?

http://www.ajsgem.com/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyls/chrysoberyl-4.44-carats.html
http://www.ajsgem.com/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyls/chrysoberyl-3.95-carats.html
http://www.ajsgem.com/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyls/chrysoberyl-3.6-carats.html
http://www.ajsgem.com/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyls/chrysoberyl-2.73-carats.html

It's harder for me to tell how they really are since there is no description of the color whatsoever and only one picture... But I imagine you all have more experience judging from photos than I do, so again, I would appreciate your opinions!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome and congrats on your engagement! I personally like the one of Tan's you linked to better than any of the AJs ones. Jeff White has had one listed on his page for quite some time, that isn't listed as sold, so you may want to inquire - I think it's a stunner (and probably would have picked it up myself if it were within budget)! :) I'll keep an eye out and post here if I see anything else.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a find in Tanzania not too long ago, and it was very neon in color. Tan has a lot of this material, and I personally would stay away from other origins. The stone from Tan you posted is lovely. Cudos to you for going with chyrsoberl for your e-ring. It's far more economical than sapphire, without all the treatments, and I think it's much prettier too.

DBouchard

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

NKOTB, I know the Jeff White one you are talking about, I do like it but the problem is that

1) it doesn't look as bright as I would like - I'm looking for something a bit more neon, like Chrono's gorgeous trillion

and 2) it is bigger and more rectangular than I am looking for, and it would be ridiculous to have a Jeff White stone recut to a smaller size, whereas getting one from Tan recut would not be such a waste as his stones are native cut, not precision cut (right?).

That said, I contacted Jeff White already about the possibility of having something custom cut, but he has not responded yet... Crossing my fingers...

And TL, thanks for the advice about Tanzania/Tan. I know you have more than one lovely chrysoberyl, are they all from there?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DBouchard|1323350320|3076992 said:
Thanks!

NKOTB, I know the Jeff White one you are talking about, I do like it but the problem is that

1) it doesn't look as bright as I would like - I'm looking for something a bit more neon, like Chrono's gorgeous trillion

and 2) it is bigger and more rectangular than I am looking for, and it would be ridiculous to have a Jeff White stone recut to a smaller size, whereas getting one from Tan recut would not be such a waste as his stones are native cut, not precision cut (right?).

That said, I contacted Jeff White already about the possibility of having something custom cut, but he has not responded yet... Crossing my fingers...

And TL, thanks for the advice about Tanzania/Tan. I know you have more than one lovely chrysoberyl, are they all from there?

You're welcome!

I have several, and I love them. While not all of Tan's are super saturated, he has some that have incredible saturation. They remind me of the color of greenish yellow hilighters. The stone you picked sounds like it would fit the bill, and again, it's very economical. They tend to go more green in artificial light and stay more yellow in natural light. I was at the gem show, and a dealer had a boat load of these Tanzanian chrysoberyls, and he also had an amazing yellow sapphire, but the chrysoberyls put the yellow sapphire to shame. They also have incredible sparkle and scintillation when well cut.

Here's a great photo of one of mine from Tan that I recently used as a side stone.

TLchrysoberyldetail.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Lisa Elser might be heading to Tanzania next month, maybe you could ask her to keep an eye out for a piece of this new rough and cut something for you?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think the one you posted from Tan is gorgeous!

DBouchard

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip, NKOTB.

I am hoping to get something done really soon because I want to have it sent to a friend while he is in the US for the holidays so he can bring it back to Egypt with him rather than having it sent here since that would make me nervous generally (the mail is not so reliable here) and especially because they have been changing incredible customs fees lately for normal packages (ie clothes, medicine and favorite foods from America) and I don't really want to find out what they would charge for a gem!

But I will keep your tip in mind if my current plan doesn't work out.

Obviously I don't want to rush this, but of course I am anxious to get my e-ring asap as well!

As for stones from Tan, I am starting to wonder now if I should consider some of his other stones that are a bit greener. I would prefer something yellowish green rather than greenish yellow, and at first his greener ones looked too dark, but now I think that might just be a problem with the lighting (since in the video it looks lighter from the side) or with the cutting, and since I am thinking of having it recut, that wouldn't be a problem...? Like what do you think of these, keeping in mind I like the greener hue but not the darkness?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-13ct-Electrifying-Dazzling-Cushion-Natural-Chrysobery-/350507652068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519be253e4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-03ct-Mindblowing-Cushion-Yellowish-Green-Chrysoberyl-/370564767975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564761a0e7

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that these stones appear more yellow outdoors, and have a color shift. Tan's stones are typically photographed in artificial light, which makes them appear more green. There will always be a strong yellow component to the green. If you want something more of a pure green, or with very little yellow, than peridot fits the bill, except that it's a bit too soft for an e-ring. Peridot won't have the same great sparkle, luster or anywhere near the fabulous durability either.

ETA: Some light green grossular garnets have a yellowish green color, with the green component being much stronger.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I read your thread earlier and completely forgot to mention - Roger Dery had some beautiful Tanzanian chrysos with his excellent cutting, so I would contact him. BTW, I absolutely agree with TL that the Tanzanians are the ones with the neon glow so I would focus on those.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results