shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding an aquamarine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pyro008

Rough_Rock
First off, I would like to say thank you all for inputting in the earlier post trying to help me find the gemstone for me. I was wavering between tsavorite and aquamarine for a long time, but I''m going to go with aquamarine because it is more of a refreshing color in my opinion. Anyway, here is the link of the ring that I saw with aquamarine.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002RI40E/sr=1-23/qid=1108024304/ref=sr_1_23/002-5390548-4995235?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3887251&s=jewelry&v=glance

I love everything about this ring except for the most important thing, the stone! The stone isn''t bright enough, it''s a bit too light, I want an aquamarine that actually looks like ocean-blue.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Daquamarine%26toggle%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8%26imgsz%3Dall%26fr%3DFP-tab-img-t%26b%3D21&h=140&w=140&imgcurl=www.gemstone.org%2Fimages%2F01%2FStones_Aquamarine1.jpg&imgurl=www.gemstone.org%2Fimages%2F01%2FStones_Aquamarine1.jpg&size=5.7kB&name=Stones_Aquamarine1.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gemstone.org%2Fgem-by-gem%2Fenglish%2Faquamarine.html&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gemstone.org%2Fgem-by-gem%2Fenglish%2Faquamarine.html&p=aquamarine&type=jpeg&no=28&tt=26,337

Wow, that''s a long link, but yeah, that''s the kind of color I want. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how I can get a brighter stone and if you had any suggestions for ring type. I am a male and I intend to put the finger on my right index finger.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This shouldn''t be too hard... The ring is pretty classic so there will not be allot of trouble showing a jeweler the model and asking for something like it. There''s allot better they could do relative to the Amazon thinghie
2.gif

The one problem might be the shape of the stone. Fine aqua doesn''t usually come cut round. And strong color in a relatively small stone (not 30 carats that is) needs searching.

There are a couple of small aquas of rather nice color on this page. You may want to take a look at the stones and the related presentations at Palagems and Cherrypicked and R.W.Wise Jewelers. Even if just the right aqua doesn''t pop up without asking, there are enough great examples lined up to show what is out there.

Ymanda

Rough_Rock

Hi,

Hum... aquamarine with a sea-blue color is the most demanded and generally the price is quiite high. Do you really want a brilliant cut? Most of time the emerald cut would be a kind of signature for beryl familly and it offers a better concentration of color in extremities...

here is an exemple of nice color aquamarine. it''s big and expensive, but is that the color you want ?

p03269_0.jpg
36.43 Carats 3000$

That one is less expensible but the color is average:

p02805_1.jpg
p02805_2.jpg

5.42 Carats 380$

If you want the stone and the ring for a price around 400$, it will be quite hard to find a strong color because the stone will be too small.

Good luck.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I noted that the best color, loupe clean Santa Maria Brazil/Africa stones of 2-5ct. were going for what would retail at about $500-$1250/ct. at the Tucson show - top color is not cheap!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pyro008,
You don''t say how large the stone needs to be, but I do believe that this could cost you quite a bit. Stullers list price for a 6.5mm AAA Aquamarine is just over $500 and you never can tell what AAA means to them. They say medium to dark, but I''d say medium colors are closer to what they''d supply. If you want a darker blue, then I would suggest a lighter colored sapphire, which may get you to your color, cost a little less and be more durable. For a deeper color round I would suggest a Portugese cut whose deeper pavilion enhances these light colors.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
On the subject of aquamarine I have sometihing of a disagreement with ICA. Aqamarine may, in general, be more abundant because chromium that give emerald its green color rarer than iron that is responsible for the color in aquamarine but, fine aquamarine is rarer than fine emerald. I think any dealer who regularly buys at the source will agree. Fine aquamarine is very rare.

I cover this more comprensively in my book but reduced to its simplist terms, the major quality issue is tone versus gray. As aqua gets darker and therefore finer it also gets grayer and therefore duller.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results