shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help finding a setting =/

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

I am in search of a setting and i wanted to get input from the pros. The future fiance loves the look of the hidden halo/floating halo/side halo whatever you want to call it. The site i bought my loose stone from has something extremely similar to the one i love the most. here is the one i really love.

https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/lepozzi-2-01-ct-round-diamond-white-gold-engagement-ring.html

I really like how the halo wraps around the outside of the prongs and not on the inside, maybe i am being too picky.

The center stone is 2.17 carats round and for some reason i feel like a basket setting might look funny? It almost seems that baskets are meant to make a smaller stone look bigger? (no offense to anyone who likes baskets! i am a rookie so i could be totally wrong)

Anyway, that website above wants almost $3,800 for the setting, to set the stone, shipping, etc...

here are the other settings that i like, but they have the basket style.

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...sket-pave-engagement-ring?metal=157&shape=167

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...nd-basket-engagement-ring?metal=157&shape=167

Do you think i should just go to a local jeweler and see if they can come up with something for me? Should i keep trying online? Should i stop being overly picky and just have fourmine set the stone in one of the above settings and call it a day?

My dream setting would be a combo of the Lauren B with some prong accents:

upload_2018-10-23_16-14-13.png

Also, FYI i need something completed by the week of 12/17/18. Stone will be shipped next week.

thanks everyone!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reach out to David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles. Send him the link and pictures like you did here and him or Amy will get you a quote. I'm very certain it will be considerably less than $3,800.

If you decide to move forward with DK, post the CAD drawings when you get them and we can help you further.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Everyone!

I am in search of a setting and i wanted to get input from the pros. The future fiance loves the look of the hidden halo/floating halo/side halo whatever you want to call it. The site i bought my loose stone from has something extremely similar to the one i love the most. here is the one i really love.

https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/lepozzi-2-01-ct-round-diamond-white-gold-engagement-ring.html

I really like how the halo wraps around the outside of the prongs and not on the inside, maybe i am being too picky.

The center stone is 2.17 carats round and for some reason i feel like a basket setting might look funny? It almost seems that baskets are meant to make a smaller stone look bigger? (no offense to anyone who likes baskets! i am a rookie so i could be totally wrong)

Anyway, that website above wants almost $3,800 for the setting, to set the stone, shipping, etc...

here are the other settings that i like, but they have the basket style.

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...sket-pave-engagement-ring?metal=157&shape=167

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/engag...nd-basket-engagement-ring?metal=157&shape=167

Do you think i should just go to a local jeweler and see if they can come up with something for me? Should i keep trying online? Should i stop being overly picky and just have fourmine set the stone in one of the above settings and call it a day?

My dream setting would be a combo of the Lauren B with some prong accents:

upload_2018-10-23_16-14-13.png

Also, FYI i need something completed by the week of 12/17/18. Stone will be shipped next week.

thanks everyone!

I was looking at Four Mine for a setting and they told me they do not sell the settings without a stone.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any specific jeweler recommendations to add but $3800 seems high for that setting & what you want looks perfectly doable to me anyway. I would try getting quotes from at least 2 local jewelers and at least 2 online/remote jewelers (David Klass is a good one) and give them your timeline upfront as well. Good luck!

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
I was looking at Four Mine for a setting and they told me they do not sell the settings without a stone.
Ya that’s the case for most of them, but I bought the stone loose from them.

They do custom settings but said the one I wanted wasn’t doable by them. Which I thought was weird...

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Ritani makes a setting pretty much exactly what you're looking for and at a much more palatable price point, even in platinum:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/diamond-gallery-engagement-ring-in-platinum/21808

you could find a local jeweler that is a Ritani retailer and have them set the ring. If you post where you live, you may get suggestions from PS as well on jewelers.

this one is really nice, i am going to reach out to Ritani. thanks for sending this over!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritani makes a setting pretty much exactly what you're looking for and at a much more palatable price point, even in platinum:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/diamond-gallery-engagement-ring-in-platinum/21808

you could find a local jeweler that is a Ritani retailer and have them set the ring. If you post where you live, you may get suggestions from PS as well on jewelers.

Great find @farrahlyn!

Here is a link that shows more views:

There were a couple of things I noticed that were different. Rather they are bothersome or not is an entirely different question. Just pointing out the data.
  • Ritani has more of a channel & prong set vs a pave setting like the LB inspiration
  • Ritani prongs are more clunky vs the pointed LB inspiration
  • Not sure if it's an optical illusion or not, but the LB inspiration almost looks like it tapers in on the right side of the diamond (which I think looks great & enhances diamond size) yet the left side doesn't give off this appearance
  • LB inspiration piece said it's hand made, where I'm sure Ritani is cast but if we want the price point down that is likely a sacrifice that will be made with whatever alternate supplier
LB Inspiration
Inkedsor-15836_straight_LI.jpg

Ritani Alternate
InkedM1R1509C_ZP_wg_3_LI.jpg

Unmarked LB Inspiration:
sor-15836_straight.jpg
sor-15836_side.jpg

Unmarked Ritani Alternate:
M1R1509C_ZP_wg_1.jpg M1R1509C_ZP_wg_2.jpg M1R1509C_ZP_wg_3.jpg

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Great find @farrahlyn!

Here is a link that shows more views:

There were a couple of things I noticed that were different. Rather they are bothersome or not is an entirely different question. Just pointing out the data.
  • Ritani has more of a channel & prong set vs a pave setting like the LB inspiration
  • Ritani prongs are more clunky vs the pointed LB inspiration
  • Not sure if it's an optical illusion or not, but the LB inspiration almost looks like it tapers in on the right side of the diamond (which I think looks great & enhances diamond size) yet the left side doesn't give off this appearance
  • LB inspiration piece said it's hand made, where I'm sure Ritani is cast but if we want the price point down that is likely a sacrifice that will be made with whatever alternate supplier
LB Inspiration
Inkedsor-15836_straight_LI.jpg

Ritani Alternate
InkedM1R1509C_ZP_wg_3_LI.jpg

Unmarked LB Inspiration:
sor-15836_straight.jpg
sor-15836_side.jpg

Unmarked Ritani Alternate:
M1R1509C_ZP_wg_1.jpg M1R1509C_ZP_wg_2.jpg M1R1509C_ZP_wg_3.jpg

Sledge, we are for sure on the same page regarding these differences. after looking more closely i began to notice the same things. i didn't notice the taper on it like you did though, and i agree, if that is the case with the LB setting it looks good!

I don't think i am a huge fan of those claw prongs, i like how the LB setting prongs seem to accentuate the stone more. I also agree, the side stones on the shank are a little too channel, i like the more pave look.

I found a site called custommade.com (anyone have any experience with them or heard of them? they seem pretty legit and the reviews I've been able to find both on their site and other sites are very good)

i reached out to them yesterday with my design ideas and they said they would be able to do everything i wanted in plat for $2,400. i am just waiting to hear back to see if they can turn it around within 7 weeks.

I will also be reaching out to DK in LA today as well!

I had other ideas for my custom design such as embedding hidden stones on the inside of the ring. the two stones would be my birthstone and hers. these stones would be surrounded by engravings in roman numerals for the day we met, the day we started dating and the date of the engagement.

upload_2018-10-24_11-23-49.png

I haven't read this anywhere, and i have seen other sites do these hidden gems or peek-a-boo stones; but does anyone think this could impact the structural integrity of the ring or perhaps open the door for issues down the road?

Also, one last question. on "basket" settings does the stone actually like rest in the basket or is it still kinda of like "floating" above it and support by prongs. in this pictures i looks like it is just resting inside the basket, but it could be an illusion.

upload_2018-10-24_11-32-25.png
upload_2018-10-24_11-32-49.png

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not heard of the place you found. And I probably wouldn't turn over such a meaningful and delicate piece to someone I didn't know or that wasn't highly recommended or well known. That's just my own 2 cents. You spent a good chunk of change on a 2+ carat rock, give it a great quality setting that still fits your budget constraints.

As I recall @TreeScientist used a company called EVS Designs and was very pleased. Turn around time was stupid quick and I think prices were very reasonable to boot. Plus he was very pleased with their quality of work.

http://www.evsdesigns.store/index.html

By the way, adding the hidden stones & engraving isn't a problem for DK. Doubt it will be for the others as well. And the fact you want stuff like this just confirms a simple custom ring is probably the right avenue for you.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That “basket” is to give the prongs added strength from bending apart. The diamond doesn’t doesn’t get set into the metal of the basket, but usually floats just slightly above it.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
I've not heard of the place you found. And I probably wouldn't turn over such a meaningful and delicate piece to someone I didn't know or that wasn't highly recommended or well known. That's just my own 2 cents. You spent a good chunk of change on a 2+ carat rock, give it a great quality setting that still fits your budget constraints.

As I recall @TreeScientist used a company called EVS Designs and was very pleased. Turn around time was stupid quick and I think prices were very reasonable to boot. Plus he was very pleased with their quality of work.

By the way, adding the hidden stones & engraving isn't a problem for DK. Doubt it will be for the others as well. And the fact you want stuff like this just confirms a simple custom ring is probably the right avenue for you.

Hey Sledge,

thanks for the other place too! i just sent them an email =)

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
That “basket” is to give the prongs added strength from bending apart. The diamond doesn’t doesn’t get set into the metal of the basket, but usually floats just slightly above it.

ahh gotcha! thanks for the info @ringo865 !

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey Quick question for all of you.

Eric at EVS designs is saying it might be easier for him to just make the setting and do everything based off the specs from the GIA report and then just send me the semi-mount setting and then i can have a jeweler here set the center stone. He said since it's a round stone this is very common.

Does anyone think this could be an issue? what possibilities are there of something going wrong? Obviously doing it his way does save money on shipping the stone to him, along with the anxiety of checking the tracking number every hour lol. But that might be a small price to pay to ensure it gets set perfectly.

any insight is appreciated.

thanks!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would caution against adding diamonds to the struts of the basket. The settings posted alread look weak (especially the Lauren B) given that they have a very tiny point of contact with the shank. One good knock and the basket could fall right off, which means you risk losing the diamond. (The basket on my mother's ring fell off twice, and it was a wider, more securely attached basket.) Adding diamonds means adding holes, and adding holes means weakening the struts. That would be two strikes against this setting.

As to how to go about marrying the diamond and setting:

If you have the jeweler you buy the stone from set your stone, the diamond is usually insured against damage from setting by the jeweler (not always, but usually).

If you have the jeweler you buy the setting from set the stone, the setting is usually insured against damage during setting (not always, but usually). Sometimes, the stone is insured also.

If you buy the stone and setting separately from the jeweler setting it, it is rare that the jeweler will insure against damage to either the stone or setting during setting.

Whatever route you go, make sure you ask if the stone and the setting will be insured against damage during the setting process.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock

Hey Sledge,

Got the CAD's back from EVS. would you or anyone else care to make some comments?
upload_2018-10-29_9-30-43.png
upload_2018-10-29_9-30-51.png

upload_2018-10-29_9-30-58.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results