shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Finding a Pear for an engagement ring

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi All. I created a previous thread asking for opinions on the appearance of a pear shaped engagement ring i had found. Unfortunately it didn't get great reviews as I'd hoped due to the pear's lack of life/movement. So on the advice of @lovedogs , I decided to create a new thread to enlist the help from the experts, all of you, in finding a great looking pear.

My budget is up to $9k for the the diamond. Looking for an elongated pear no less then 10mm x 6mm. This seems to usually fall between 1.3 and 1.6 ct. VS1-SI1 or even a clean SI2. F-H color. The diamond will be going in a white pave band with a halo.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found some relatively good options, but unfortunately finding options that are both "lively" and elongated is pretty challenging. Are you open to slightly different dimensions (e.g. a "wider" and less elongated stone)? Or are you 100% set on having it be elongated in shape?

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
This struck me

1.51 G SI1

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
I found some relatively good options, but unfortunately finding options that are both "lively" and elongated is pretty challenging. Are you open to slightly different dimensions (e.g. a "wider" and less elongated stone)? Or are you 100% set on having it be elongated in shape?

definitely stuck on the elongated look. My lady doesn't like the chubby look.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This struck me

1.51 G SI1

It's definitely more "alive" than the other option, but not sure about the inclusions and I think the bowtie will be noticible. It's also more than 8k. Is your budget flexible?

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's definitely more "alive" than the other option, but not sure about the inclusions and I think the bowtie will be noticible. It's also more than 8k. Is your budget flexible?

yes. just updated the post to up to 9k.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried B2C, blue nile, and JA, and didn't have much luck. These are the 2 that stand out for me.

The first is elongated like you want. It does have a small bowtie, but the movement of the other facets seems to make up for it (At least to my eye)

This 2nd one isn't as elongated as you want, but I love it because the faceting is kind of "antique" which makes it essentially not have a bowtie. The "tip" of the pear has some mushy areas where the facets aren't moving much, but I think overall it's a very nice option.

I'm certainly not a pear expert, but these are the 2 I thought matched most closely with what you want.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another potential option. I hate the videos where you can't pause and don't like seeing the stone only at a vertical angle, but overall this seems decent. I would just want more videos/pics.

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
I tried B2C, blue nile, and JA, and didn't have much luck. These are the 2 that stand out for me.

The first is elongated like you want. It does have a small bowtie, but the movement of the other facets seems to make up for it (At least to my eye)

This 2nd one isn't as elongated as you want, but I love it because the faceting is kind of "antique" which makes it essentially not have a bowtie. The "tip" of the pear has some mushy areas where the facets aren't moving much, but I think overall it's a very nice option.

I'm certainly not a pear expert, but these are the 2 I thought matched most closely with what you want.

Thank you so much for you help @lovedogs. Out of those 2, I also like the 2nd one better. The 1st is too slim for my liking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That 1.43 is not returning light all that well...that 1.51 @lovedogs posted is pretty nice though!

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
Another potential option. I hate the videos where you can't pause and don't like seeing the stone only at a vertical angle, but overall this seems decent. I would just want more videos/pics.

This 1.51 is lovely!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Have you gone to Rare carat? They have a filter for attributes and ratio's. In addition check Ritani too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, bow-ties are black (even though everyone else calls the areas through the center of pears, ovals, and marquise bow-ties.)
Those facets you are seeing through the center of the stone are "nice" facets that return light well. You want to maximize those
facets. As the stone turns you want to see more "nice" facets headed down towards the pointed end of the stone. The best pears
have a rounded end much like a round brilliant stone. Unfortunately, these stones are usually short and fat which is not what
most people look for in a pear.

This is a bow-tie.

You want the nice facets to reach down near the pointed end as well as go
as up as far as possible on the rounded end. The blue areas are "nice"
faects. The pointy ends (in red) tend to be mushy and wont return
light well. Look for stones that have a lot of well-defined facets
as you turn the stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to post a few pears so you can see what I'm talking about. The more you try to narrow things down like to specific
color/clarity/LxW etc. the harder it will be to find a nice pear. Some of these are better than others.

kboakye87

Rough_Rock
Trade
I got to see some more stones in person yesterday. The one in question is the stone on top in the below video. It’s a 1.71 H SI1. 10.47x6.66. Is that a bow tie I‘m noticing? Do any of you think it’s something of concern?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I wouldnt want either of those stones. What is your timeline? FInding a nice pear is not easy. You will most likly
have to give on the light return because you want a long stone. Ideal cut stones (rounds) go dark when bright light is shining on
them because they return light really well. What you are seeing through the center (I think...hard to tell from the video) are the
nice facets going dark due to strong lighting. The other part of the stone does not go dark because its not returning light as well.

A few that are worth a look...maybe your jeweler can bring them in?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.55-ct-I-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Pear-Diamond/D46544660?rfr=search this is an "I"

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I wouldnt want either of those stones. What is your timeline? FInding a nice pear is not easy. You will most likly
have to give on the light return because you want a long stone. Ideal cut stones (rounds) go dark when bright light is shining on
them because they return light really well. What you are seeing through the center (I think...hard to tell from the video) are the
nice facets going dark due to strong lighting. The other part of the stone does not go dark because its not returning light as well.

A few that are worth a look...maybe your jeweler can bring them in?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.55-ct-I-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Pear-Diamond/D46544660?rfr=search this is an "I"

Agree that I dont love the options in the video at all. I like the ones @tyty333 posted, especially the 1.31

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results