shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I need help finding a 6mm round garnet for a ring! Can you PSers help me!? What is the difference between a mozambique garnet and a rhodeolit garnet?
Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE garnets.

Here is a link for popular places to purchase gems:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sites-selling-colored-gemstones-and-jewelry.94723/

I copied this from Gemhut''s website:

Garnet is the name which can be applied to six similar mineral species, namely almandine, pyrope, spessartine, grossular, andradite and uvarovite.
Rhodolite garnet is a combination of almandine and pyrope, and is sometimes referred to as pyrope-almandine garnet. It is raspberry red to a deep pinkish-red.
Mozambique is a mixture of pyrope-almandite, similar in color to the rhodolite garnet, but slightly more red, and darker.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mozambique garnet is the place of origin meaning, the garnet was mined in Mozambique. A rhodolite garnet is a type of garnet in the garnet family (spessartite, demantoid, tsavorite, pyrope, almandine, etc). Rhodolite garnets are usually purplish in colour and are very clarity clean and can be found in large sizes easily.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/15/2008 5:10:58 PM
Author:redrose229
Hi!

I need help finding a 6mm round garnet for a ring! Can you PSers help me!? What is the difference between a mozambique garnet and a rhodeolit garnet?

Thanks!

Garnets are difficult to explain to consumers, and that''s why trade names have evolved. They help distinguish between colors. Mozambique garnet is a trade name for a red (mostly) almandine garnet found in Mozambique. It also contains a bit of spessartite to give it an orangy "kick." (Garnets blend with each other and never occur as pure species). The name Mozambique Garnet has been around for a long time.

Rhodolite is another trade name for a mixture of almandine and pyrope. It has a wide color range, depending on the proportions of the two species in any given stone. According to gemologists, a rhodolite should be 50% or more purple, or at least should have a suggestion of purple hue. Stones within the rhodolite refractive index range but are pinkish or orangy with little purple are sold under a number of trade names like "cranberry" rhodolite or "raspberry" rhodolite. Umbalite is a type of rhodolite and so is Tanga garnet -- they''re rhodolites from the Umba and Tanga provinces in Tanzania. There''s more but this is probably plenty for one "dose".

Richard M.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Richard at Artcutgems has 6 mm rounds available in his Royal Rhodolite garnet line. The website is down at the moment, but I''m sure he will answer his e-mail. Here is a recent link to some photos of this very pretty red-purple stone. I''m attaching a picture of a ring he has for sale on his website. These are lovely stones and would make a pretty ring.

GarnRing202b.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 10:50:56 AM
Author: Fly Girl
Richard at Artcutgems has 6 mm rounds available in his Royal Rhodolite garnet line. The website is down at the moment, but I''m sure he will answer his e-mail. Here is a recent link to some photos of this very pretty red-purple stone. I''m attaching a picture of a ring he has for sale on his website. These are lovely stones and would make a pretty ring.
I second contacting Richard - some of my most beautiful garnets have come from him. The Royal Rhodolites are fabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results