shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help figuring out these rings

karaparent

Rough_Rock
I inherited these three rings from my grandma last week. My grandpa gave them to me without diamonds in them, but I was hoping that somebody would know something about the time period of the settings.
The gold thicker ring with the ridges might be my great grandmas wedding ring. The three yellow gold rings have engravings that I cant read, plan on taking them somewhere to get them appraised.
20191117_144928.jpg 20191117_144908.jpg 20191117_144850.jpg 20191117_202303.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh, I would not invest any money in appraising these. What would be your reason for doing that? If you want to know the value, check the comps on eBay. Keep in mind prob repair, shank repair and karat. Many antique dealers would give you a free verbal appraisal.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Nala - it’s not worth your money to get these appraised. Because the original stones are missing and the settings are likely mass produced (as opposed to custom-made), and - as Nala noted - would require some “rehabilitation” before they could be re-used, they’re not going to be worth too much more than scrap value.

Looking at the rings as they’re stacked on your finger, I’d guess that the bottom ring (the one that held the oval stone) is the newest and was made mid-to-late 20th century. I’d put the other solitaire in the 1930’s - 1930’s, and the multi-stone ring in the ‘30’s - 40’s.

I find the middle ring to be the most intriguing! I love the graceful swoops on the shoulders and the sides of the basket, and nice chunky tab prongs. It might be fairly inexpensive to repair this ring, especially if you’re able to use one or both of the other settings to pay for the labor, and the gold needed to rebuild the prongs. It wouldn’t require a very large diamond, in fact it has an “illusion” head that’s designed to make a small diamond look larger. And it could also be set with a colored stone, of course. If you’re interested in rehabbing and re-using any of those rings let us know - we can help walk you through the process!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A shame the diamonds have been removed.
unfortunately I doubt if they are worth more than scrap gold value. The cost of rehabbing a ring is often more than the gold value and usually only done because someone is wanting to restore a family heirloom to love and keep.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Nala - it’s not worth your money to get these appraised. Because the original stones are missing and the settings are likely mass produced (as opposed to custom-made), and - as Nala noted - would require some “rehabilitation” before they could be re-used, they’re not going to be worth too much more than scrap value.

Looking at the rings as they’re stacked on your finger, I’d guess that the bottom ring (the one that held the oval stone) is the newest and was made mid-to-late 20th century. I’d put the other solitaire in the 1930’s - 1930’s, and the multi-stone ring in the ‘30’s - 40’s.

I find the middle ring to be the most intriguing! I love the graceful swoops on the shoulders and the sides of the basket, and nice chunky tab prongs. It might be fairly inexpensive to repair this ring, especially if you’re able to use one or both of the other settings to pay for the labor, and the gold needed to rebuild the prongs. It wouldn’t require a very large diamond, in fact it has an “illusion” head that’s designed to make a small diamond look larger. And it could also be set with a colored stone, of course. If you’re interested in rehabbing and re-using any of those rings let us know - we can help walk you through the process!

This is my guess as well. The heavier ring in the 1970s to 80's. Others from 1930-1950's.

karaparent

Rough_Rock
Wow I'm really surprised! I was thinking that the heavier ring would be the oldest ring, I don't know much about them! I guess appraised wasn't the right word, but I do want to take them somewhere to get some interpretation on the makers mark that is on them. I also want to take them to find out if there is any way they can be resized large enough to fit my ring finger. Thank you for the input guys!
I also have some smaller diamonds that I inherited from my grandma, that I know were reset into necklaces and such. I might even take those diamonds in to see if they could be placed into one of the rings.

I definitely do want to restore and use at least one of these rings as they are family heirlooms!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think it's possible that the ribbed ring could be Victorian. I've seen that style before during my perusals of antique jewels, like this one for example:

Of course, it's possible it could be a Victorian revival ring from a later period, but yeah figuring out the hallmark could help you date the ring. How wonderful to have these family heirlooms to wear and enjoy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the hallmarks inside the ring it can be possible to date them or recognise the maker but usually it’s just like “14k” or “585” / “18k or “750” and that’s it.
All of the rings could be resized larger and if none of the diamonds fit there are plenty of other gemstone options. Youcan always look at buying a coloured gem (sapphire for eg) to put in the setting/s.
then you’ll have a beautiful heirloom ring to love and cherish.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wounder what happened to the missing stones ?
Still nice your grandpa gave them to you
i love the idea of refurbishing them because im a real sentimental softy when it comes to inherited pieces
but they arn't much good to you right now
surly they could be sized up to fit your ring finger
if not pinky rings are alot of fun
i wear my great grandma's wedding ring on my pinky

oh my ! but the ladies around these parts sure do have some beautuful coloured stone rings

im sure there would be plenty of help from around here to help you make a project of it or maybe you have a family jewler you could go see to look at some options

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, what happened to the diamonds? This is bizarre, did your grandpa sell them? Or? The only thing I find a little odd is why you were given empty rings. They could have been beautiful with some original old cuts but what were you supposed to do with them this way? If you have a necklace with some old cuts it could turn out beautiful though if they fit the rings or at least one of them. The squarish ring on top looks Deco to me, very pretty and dainty. The middle one looks quite new and also pretty. The bottom one looks perhaps 50s but difficult to say from pix alone. Take them in to a trusted appraiser/jeweler along with your necklace and see if with custom work you could get a complete piece and keep us posted! Good luck!

karaparent

Rough_Rock
I believe that the diamonds were either sold or set into other jewelry, too hard to know without asking my grandma (and I don't want to accuse my grandpa of selling them).
And Kristy, that would be very cool if my ring turned out as old as that one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results