shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help evaluating following WF diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jechow

Rough_Rock
I am seriously considering the following three diamonds from WF. I would like to know the opinion of PS members. My three most important criteria for a diamond in order of importance are: Cut, Eye-clean, and Carat.

0.803 ACA F/SI2
With the 0.803, I feel that I am satisfying the Cut and Eye-clean criteria. My concerns with this diamond are:
1. Smallest of the three stones (6.04mm diameter & 0.803 carats)
2. "Poorest" HCA score 1.8 ex-ex-vg-vg of the 3 diamonds

0.890 ideal F/SI1
With the 0.890, I feel that I am satisfying all three criteria but with some sacrific to fire & scintilation. My concerns with this diamond are:
1. Most of the weight is its depth vs. breath (62.4% depth and only 6.15mm diameter, isn't this small for 0.890 carats)
2. I am skeptical that it has more fire & scintilation that the above diamond eventhough it has a better HCA score 0.9 ex-ex-ex-vg.

0.930 G/SI2
With the 0.930, I feel that I am satisfying all three criteria but again with some sacrific to fire & scintilation (HCA 1.6 ex-ex-ex-vg). My concerns with this diamond are:
1. A slightly thick girdle as per Sarin report
2. I still need to check if it is actually eye-clean

All three diamonds are within my budget (~$3300) and I know that I have eliminated 95% of known poor performers. All three diamonds are so good that I am having troubles deciding. Please help.

Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I would do is call them and have them pull them out and discuss them over the phone with you.
Because all 3 are from the same place they should be able to give you a lot of details on how they compare.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Je....hi again! I agree with storm here......these diamonds are all available at Whiteflash. That means you can call Brian and ask him to tell you about these stones.

Having said that, you will also need to determine which is more important to you.......size or more technically perfect. Of course, Brian will prefer the ACA stone because he admires perfection.....and he should! He's a cutter and he appreciates well-cut stones. However, all of these stones score well on the HCA, and it's really hair-splitting at this point.

If I were the one choosing based on the information you have so far.....my top pick so far would be the .93 G SI2 as long as it's eyeclean. That's a BIG jump in presence up from the .80 F stone, and your eye likely won't see the difference between the colors. It will, however, see the size difference. When I went out looking around, I found that stones near the 6.3 mm range looked good to me.....anything smaller looked okay, but not amazing.

FYI - if Brian tells you the SI2 is eyeclean....then it's definitely eyeclean. He put me on to a really, really clean SI2, and I'm SOOO glad I listened. I can't find the inclusions on this even with the loupe....they are masked by the cut.

Also, you said the girdle on the .93 says slightly thick, but the page on WF shows as "medium faceted". It's only slightly thick at parts, and OVERALL, it's medium, so shouldn't be a cause for concern at all.

Let us know what you decide.

jechow

Rough_Rock
Are more comments regarding these 3 diamonds?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to agree with my twin, Al...on the .93. I am not a fan of spending money on F stones..so I love G's...they represent a great value for the money and you can usually get some extra size in there with the drop as you are seeing here in combination with the SI2.

If this stone is eye clean, you are getting a much larger stone. The HCA score differences in my opinion are somewhat minimal...I mean they are all under 2.0 so, splitting hairs. In terms of things that are tangible, size is tangible, esp in the jump from .80 to .93.

Don't like the .89 because I don't like depth over 62% when you can afford to get something that is more desirable. If your budget was so tight that the only thing avail to meet your criteria was the .89..it would represent a better value, but not when compared against the .93.

The .80 is just too small for my taste.
2.gif
And since we are splitting hairs, the HCA score is a little on the high side, don't love 2 VG's, would rather have 3/1 or similar.

Call WhiteFlash, talk to Brian. Have them hold the stones you are most interested in because you don't want them snatched away. Even a day or two hold can help reduce your stress level because you don't have to worry about them being sold out from under you.
2.gif
Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
.93. I doubt the difference in the HCA scores is really going to be visible to the eye, but the size difference will be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results