shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help- EGL diamond question

dsgb253

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am new to the board and am seeking help for a recent purchase I made. I purchased a 1.02 carat EGL certified diamond but it was only accompanied by an EGL Gem ID card which only lists clarity, color, and basic dimensions (no cut!). The diamond is graded as FG, SI3. My issue is not with the clarity but with the dimensions. The dimensions listed are 6.46-6.33x3.9. Do these dimensions necessarily equal a poorly cut diamond? I do not have any other proportions or percentages as they were not available.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I will add that this was purchased from a very reputable dealer.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round? If so, that's a pretty out of round round...

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 6:59:51 PM
Author:dsgb253
Hello,
I am new to the board and am seeking help for a recent purchase I made. I purchased a 1.02 carat EGL certified diamond but it was only accompanied by an EGL Gem ID card which only lists clarity, color, and basic dimensions (no cut!). The diamond is graded as FG, SI3. My issue is not with the clarity but with the dimensions. The dimensions listed are 6.46-6.33x3.9. Do these dimensions necessarily equal a poorly cut diamond? I do not have any other proportions or percentages as they were not available.

Based on the dimensions it is not very round, which means there are better cut diamonds out there. Are you happy with the performance of the stone? What is the return policy?

dsgb253

Rough_Rock
Well the stone has just been shipped off with the ring to be set(which takes two weeks). There is a 25 day return policy but if I call tomorrow I''m sure they can stop the process. The stone looked nice in the store but I felt rushed and made a rash decision it looks like.

dsgb253

Rough_Rock
Without knowledge of the proportions and cut, what would you think this diamond would sell for?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

no such grade.
38.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello,

None of the top tier laboratories use the SI3 grade. It was originally created by Tom Tashe of EGL Los Angeles (at the time) for diamonds that were too low to be SI2 but too high to be I1 as there is a HUGE price difference between the two. Many in the trade embraced it as it semed to bring some middle ground for diamonds that were too nice to be sold so cheaply. It was supposed to encompass those stones on the border line of one grade or the other without the huge financial gain or loss of deciding one way or the other.

However it was never adapted by the top tier labs and as feared by many it has expanded now to include way too many diamonds that are easily better described as I1.

For a stone this size that variance in girdle diameter may possibly be eye visible as a very slight out of roundishness. It will not be enough to appear ovalish, and most likely will not be visible to the eye once the stone is mounted.

However, doing a quick check on Rap for the price of an F-SI2 against the price of a G-I1 at a guessed wholesale discount since it is not possible to know for sure what the actual discount would be without more information on the cutting, finds a disparity of prices possible of more than 32% at wholesale. That is why none of the top tier labs use split grades color grades either.

Your diamond may be quite beautiful, it is not possible for us to know, but these are things you might want to think about.

Wink

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are too many red flags here for me -- you felt rushed, the grading is suspect at best, what we know for sure (the girdle dimensions) are not good. I would return it and start over with a vendor who will not rush you and who will take the time to educate you about cut.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Odd, typically if it has a color range in the grading it was graded while mounted.... unless you love it, it''s probably better to send it back.

--Joshua

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results