shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between oval and round cut

Nolagirl1

Rough_Rock
Will post my previous post from the wrong forum. :)

My boyfriend and I picked out this 3.5 I VS1 oval (12x8.59) GIA, but now I think I want a different shape. Eyeing a 4.5 J VS2 (10.65x10.66) depth 61.8 round cut diamond. If anyone can share pictures of their 4-4.5 carat rounds that would be greatly appreciated. Also, input welcome on the current diamond I will post below. Excuse the scribble, I had to scratch out my son lol. I am a ring size 4.75 due to my knuckles. (Can post outside pictures of the current oval if that would help. I’m not a professional photographer so sorry in advance. D1BA3754-DF78-462B-ACB5-411DCCE8EEE8.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This PSer was trying to overcome the Oval v Round dilemma.
I thought this thread may be helpful, as many posted conversion size charts and other helpful dimension size advise.
I hope this helps you in your decision!

*Please excuse the title. I am in no way suggesting you are a “size whore”. Even if you are, you’re in great company....lol!*

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is also a 5 carat thread that will probably help you out.

Nolagirl1

Rough_Rock
This PSer was trying to overcome the Oval v Round dilemma.
I thought this thread may be helpful, as many posted conversion size charts and other helpful dimension size advise.
I hope this helps you in your decision!

*Please excuse the title. I am in no way suggesting you are a “size whore”. Even if you are, you’re in great company....lol!*

You’re fine! No offense taken. :) thank you for your help!

Nolagirl1

Rough_Rock
There is also a 5 carat thread that will probably help you out.

Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW...your oval does look like a nicely cut one. How do you feel about the "I" color? A 4 carat J will show some
tint. Should have better light return than the oval. What about the oval is giving you pause? What different wedding bands
have you considered putting with it?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks beautiful. It’s just personal preference though. I don’t see a bowtie in your pic, but that’s what I tend to dislike about many ovals. Good luck to you!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Can you buy a CZ ring with the same MM size as the round diamond? Wear that and the oval around and see what you prefer of the two?

The oval looks nice on your hand. You have longer fingers and it works with it. I don't really notice your knuckles- I don't think the shape really will impact that, but an oval is more elongating if that is a viable concern.

Nolagirl1

Rough_Rock
BTW...your oval does look like a nicely cut one. How do you feel about the "I" color? A 4 carat J will show some
tint. Should have better light return than the oval. What about the oval is giving you pause? What different wedding bands
have you considered putting with it?

sorry! I misread the question. Thank you. Honestly, I am just the most indecisive person and I’m not sure how it looks on my hand with how my knuckles are. I do plan on switching the settings as soon as I decide what to do.

I’m not sure how the color will be, was eyeing one online in regards to the “J”. I would like an emerald cut eternity or round. I’m not sure, welcome to suggestions. :)

Last edited:

Nolagirl1

Rough_Rock
Can you buy a CZ ring with the same MM size as the round diamond? Wear that and the oval around and see what you prefer of the two?

The oval looks nice on your hand. You have longer fingers and it works with it. I don't really notice your knuckles- I don't think the shape really will impact that, but an oval is more elongating if that is a viable concern.

Same here, I do not like the bow tie either. Returned a different one because of it. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results