shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between 1.34ct and 1.50ct diamond with video

Brighty

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I'm about to buy my first diamond ring (engagement) and I've read so much about diamonds in the last couple of weeks that I might be able to call myself a diamond expert soon. Just kidding!

I've found 2 diamonds that I'm deciding between. My heart is set on a 1.5ct diamond (perfect size for my finger), but I've found one that is 1.34ct that I think looks very bright and beautiful in the video I got. Both have GIA certification. The setting will be a 18K rose gold solitaire ring with platinum claws. I did a comparison of the diamond sizes and the bigger is in my favor, but having a nice looking stone is more important than the size. I would love to have both but we're not made of money :)

Diamond 1 - 1.50ct
I color, VS1, 3xExcellent
Measurements 7.37x7.41x4.49 mm
Medium blue fluorescence
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 57%
Crown: 34.00 (14,5%)
Pavilion: 40.60 (43%)
Girdle: Medium
upload_2017-10-18_21-20-1.png

Diamond 2 - 1.34ct
H color, VS2, 3xExcellent
Measurements 7.06x7.09x4.36 mm
None fluorescence
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57%
Crown: 35.00 (15%)
Pavilion: 40.80 (43%)
Girdle: Medium-slightly thick
upload_2017-10-18_21-19-18.png

Which one looks better to you guys?

Size comparison:
upload_2017-10-18_21-17-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-18_21-13-41.png
    upload_2017-10-18_21-13-41.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 39
  • upload_2017-10-18_21-18-22.png
    upload_2017-10-18_21-18-22.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 10

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they both look very nice. Would go with the bigger one personally.

Brighty

Rough_Rock
I think they both look very nice. Would go with the bigger one personally.

Thank you very much for you opinion. My only concern is that I think the smaller stone looks more bright in the video, not sure if this is due to the lightning being different in the videos.

Is a 1.6 score on HCA better than 0.6? In the text below the score it says that 0-1 is better for earrings and not good for rings, and that 1-2 is better for rings. Is this really true? Because then the bigger will not be fitting for a ring?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The video brightness can be due to a number of factors including lighting and camera white balance.

If you can get an ideal scope or ASET image it would help.

The prevailing opinion on the forum is that hca under 1.0 is nothing to worry about.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for you opinion. My only concern is that I think the smaller stone looks more bright in the video, not sure if this is due to the lightning being different in the videos.

Is a 1.6 score on HCA better than 0.6? In the text below the score it says that 0-1 is better for earrings and not good for rings, and that 1-2 is better for rings. Is this really true? Because then the bigger will not be fitting for a ring?

Anything under 2 is prime for consideration. Even stones that score over 2 are still worth further investigation. I love the stone in the second video (assuming that is the VS1?). Both are lovely, but the second video clearly shows that diamond is completely eye clean, and crisp. The size comparison chart doesn't show much difference, and I'd go for quality over quantity for the money. If the cleaner stone is less expensive, or breaks even on budget, and is slightly smaller, it's worth it for better clarity.
As far as Cut, an ASET/IS will be necessary for comparison to determine which of the two shows better cut/performance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern is that I think the smaller stone looks more bright in the video

I am not seeing this ...

Amusingly, the H looks more coloured in the video - which cannot be right. The presentation is very detailed, but surreal !

Brighty

Rough_Rock
Anything under 2 is prime for consideration. Even stones that score over 2 are still worth further investigation. I love the stone in the second video (assuming that is the VS1?). Both are lovely, but the second video clearly shows that diamond is completely eye clean, and crisp. The size comparison chart doesn't show much difference, and I'd go for quality over quantity for the money. If the cleaner stone is less expensive, or breaks even on budget, and is slightly smaller, it's worth it for better clarity.
As far as Cut, an ASET/IS will be necessary for comparison to determine which of the two shows better cut/performance.

Thank you for your answer! Price wise the bigger stone is about $600 more expensive, so not that much more. The smaller stone (video 2) is a VS2, but all conclusions are in one spot near the edge and will be possible to hide with the ring claw, so therefore it kind of looks flawless.

Brighty

Rough_Rock
I am not seeing this ...

Amusingly, the H looks more coloured in the video - which cannot be right. The presentation is very detailed, but surreal !

Is more coloured a good or bad thing? Surreal as in a good or bad thing? Which one would you choose? :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your answer! Price wise the bigger stone is about $600 more expensive, so not that much more. The smaller stone (video 2) is a VS2, but all conclusions are in one spot near the edge and will be possible to hide with the ring claw, so therefore it kind of looks flawless.
I'm team 1.34HVS2 for $600 less and better eye clean clarity, until ASET/IS prove, otherwise.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

_
Footnote
... colour is good, colourless is also good: so they are the two opposite ends of the GIA value of colour scale ! [pleading not guilty...] You are near the colourless end, with H&I at a small difference. I would not care about the difference between H & I ... In any case, it is not likely that a GIA H diamond would look more tinted than A GIA I - as the videos show me ... which, I am finding to be a surprising failure of this very sophisticated form of presentation. If what I am seeing is not real, then 'surreal' is the word ... Not good if you need to see what you are getting, rather than admire painterly videography [which... could be nice ! WWW] ...

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also see more color in H, it could be due to the flouro in the I. The inclusions in the I do not bother me, they are super small and white.

Edit: I saw that the two stones have the same table and the first stone is vs1! VS1 is pretty much always eye-clean. My vote is for the 1.5 based on what I can currently see. However, are you only between these two stones? What is the budget for them?

Brighty

Rough_Rock
I also see more color in H, it could be due to the flouro in the I. The inclusions in the I do not bother me, they are super small and white.

Edit: I saw that the two stones have the same table and the first stone is vs1! VS1 is pretty much always eye-clean. My vote is for the 1.5 based on what I can currently see. However, are you only between these two stones? What is the budget for them?

Thank you for your opinion! The smaller stone have all of the inclusions in on spot in the edge of the stone and can be hidden with the ring claw, so it's pretty much flawless. The store has verified that both stones are eye-clean and not milky (they are ordering from a supplier so no possibility to see before buying). I'm only between these stones, I don't live in the US so there's a limited supply from where I'm ordering. The budget is around $12500 and the bigger stone is about $12100-12200 with current currency conversion. The smaller is about $600 less.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinion! The smaller stone have all of the inclusions in on spot in the edge of the stone and can be hidden with the ring claw, so it's pretty much flawless. The store has verified that both stones are eye-clean and not milky (they are ordering from a supplier so no possibility to see before buying). I'm only between these stones, I don't live in the US so there's a limited supply from where I'm ordering. The budget is around $12500 and the bigger stone is about $12100-12200 with current currency conversion. The smaller is about $600 less.

Thanks for the clarification. Clarity would not be my deciding factor in this case. They are both eye-clean (they are both almost video clean even!) I kinda like the larger stone, you get a lot more coverage for another $600. Also, in my opinion because of the flouro, the stone has a nice "cool" hue which I prefer compared to the H and medium flouro is nothing to worry about when it comes to haziness/milkiness. The 1.5 I VS1 gets my vote!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too thought "weird, the H looks more yellowish in profile." I'd go with the 1.5

Brighty

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so very very much for answering in this thread. After taking in what you guys have said, I went on and ordered the 1.50ct this morning. Can't wait to see it IRL! :)

Thanks again! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the 1.34. Hopefully the 1.5 will be beautiful and you will be very happy with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results