shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Choosing OEC Diamond ~ 1 ct

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers!
I've come to the best for help determining which antique diamond to buy for an engagement ring. I am not very color sensitive, and sometimes I feel like a little warmth in an antique diamond gives it charm. Below are the images and specs of each diamond in consideration. What I am wanting is something with maximum brilliance, fire and light return. Give me those big chunky pastel flashes of color! Can anyone help explain what the ideal proportions are for an OEC? Is there something I should be looking for (or looking to avoid) when it comes to depth, table, crown and pavilion? Thank you all so much!!

1)
1.15 ct
6.6 x 6.35 x 4.2
Polish = Good
Symmetry = Fair
Color = K
Clarity = SI1
Depth = 64.9%
Table = 54%
Crown = 19.6%
Pavilion = 40.8%

D1.jpg
2)
0.95 ct
6.58 x 6.44 x 3.50
Color = J
Clarity = VS1
Depth = 53.9%
Table = 57%
Crown = 13.4%
Pavilion = 37.5%
Polish = Very Good
Symmetry = Good

D2.jpg

3)
1.01 ct
6.53 x 6.49 x 3.53
Color = F
Clarity = SI2
Depth = 54.2%
Table = 50%
Crown = 14.7%
Pavilion = 34.9%
Polish = Good
Symmetry = Good
Super large culet
D3.jpg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
First impressions for me - in the order you listed, based solely on the faceting appeal in the picture.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
2 and 3 are very shallow

Is this ivy and rose? Ask them for a comparison video of all three side by side.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I like #1. It has more flowery looking facets to me. The other two are shallow, and I don't like the cutlet on the last one.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one the most based off the picture. The shallowness of the others doesn't bother me too much as I've got a shallow OEC myself and it's a sparkler so I wouldn't discount them just based off that.
If it's the same vendor, get them to take a video of them in natural relatively diffuse lighting like under a tree to see how they look in motion and whether you're seeing edge to edge brightness or any dead spots.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those three, based on the photos, I like #1 best as well. A side by side video would be helpful as what matters most is which you like the best.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think #1 is the best of the three options. #2 has really nice spread for the carat weight, however, the 57% table is wider than typical OECs and is probably the reason it's lacking the kozibe effect in the photo. #3 is also offers a really nice spread too. It appears more like an old mine cut, however, than an old euro.

I'll echo what others said about requesting a comparison video - static photos will never do justice by these stones. If these are from Ivy & Rose, I'm sure Ilya will be happy to accommodate the request.

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
These are from Ivy and Rose and I have been working with Ilya :) She sent me a comparison video of #1 and #2 (#3 has been ruled out completely, I don't really like the cut or huge culet either). Surprisingly, from the videos it appears that #1 is brighter/whiter than #2. I think #1 is it, I'm just hesitating to pull the trigger, because I keep wondering if MAYBE there's something better out there. But I think at $2995 it's a pretty good value.... right??

I need someone to tell me to go for it, or if I should hold off and see if anything better comes along I guess?? Help!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you love the stone? I can totally understand the feeling and hesitation - but keep in mind, there will always be something bigger, whiter, or technically "better." What I've done in those instances is to ask myself how would I feel if the stone sold or got away. Usually your response to this will be your answer.

I've worked with Ilya before and he's great about sending the stone to view in person. Perhaps that would be an appropriate next step. Then you can see it in person before making a final decision.

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just don't know, because it's so hard to tell from pictures and videos that aren't zoomed in and are in office lighting. I think your suggestion is a great one, to see if I can get it here to view in person and make my decision. I know they have a 30 day return policy, so that's probably my next step. Get it here in person, see for myself, and decide.

twang07

Shiny_Rock
Definitely try to see it in person and that's exactly what the return period is for. I think 1 looks very nice! Make sure you look at it in the light you're in the most and like the pattern when you get really close to it!

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
DH made the purchase last night! Fingers crossed it's beautiful in person! I'll be sure to post pics here to get everyone's feedback. Thank you so much for your help :kiss2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH made the purchase last night! Fingers crossed it's beautiful in person! I'll be sure to post pics here to get everyone's feedback. Thank you so much for your help :kiss2:

Yay! Definitely spend time in as many different lighting situations as possible. Post lots of pics too, please!

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
I havent taken her out of the packaging yet but here she is under the fluorescent lighting in my office!

20181023_171814.jpg 20181023_171755.jpg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Crack that baby and take her for a spin! And show us pics and videos of course :geek2:

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
A few pics at home in bad lighting. Cant wait to see it in the shade on a sunny day.
20181023_212503.jpg 20181023_212841.jpg 20181023_212705.jpg

Reactions: AV_

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking promising. What do you think?

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
I really like it!! Is there some obvious flaw I'm missing? I'm planning on sending it down to my jeweler (out of state) this weekend with my engagement ring to have it set. Any red flags??

twang07

Shiny_Rock
Can't see anything wrong with it personally from these pics. I think its gorgeous! I would suggest looking very closely at it, with light behind you, above you, in front of you and see if you like the facet pattern.

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
Can't see anything wrong with it personally from these pics. I think its gorgeous! I would suggest looking very closely at it, with light behind you, above you, in front of you and see if you like the facet pattern.

Thanks, great advice. So far I've seen it in bright lighting at work, dim lighting at home, LED lighting at home and really like it! I have yet to see it in the sun, it's been dreary over here in Boston. Hoping that there is at least one sunny day before I send it off to my jeweler for setting! I do very much like the faceting. It's an EGL K, but I have a feeling once I have it regraded by GIA it will come back as an L. It does face up very white, but when I put it on a piece of paper or have it in a white jewelry box, you can really see the color. That doesn't bother me as I feel like it's part of the charm.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you picked a good one! Definite flower petals under the table, snowflake round the edges, looks nice and bright despite the dreary weather. Can’t get better than that! How are you setting it?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Looks good! Bright edge to edge and a unique pattern.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
7EC8547E-13F3-47D5-9124-569FCD5D92B1.jpeg 6A96FB8C-9E1F-4BAB-B96A-9DCBA688BD2E.jpeg
She’s beautiful! Just exquisite!

It’s made me long for and get excited about getting my OEC engagement ring from the Jewellers ( she’s being reset in platinum as have a allergy! ) 5 weeks to go!!

VioletLuxxe

Rough_Rock
@foxinsox Yay! Thank you! That's so reassuring :) I'm setting it in my existing engagement ring that has a moissanite OEC center stone. I didn't want to post that ring on here, because I think it's against TOS to post sims on this board. The setting is a soft cushion double halo with diamonds made from Schubachs.

@CloverBuddha Wow!! All those smaller OECs surrounding your center OEC makes for one exquisite ring! Are having that design recast or switching it up?

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
@foxinsox Yay! Thank you! That's so reassuring :) I'm setting it in my existing engagement ring that has a moissanite OEC center stone. I didn't want to post that ring on here, because I think it's against TOS to post sims on this board. The setting is a soft cushion double halo with diamonds made from Schubachs.

@CloverBuddha Wow!! All those smaller OECs surrounding your center OEC makes for one exquisite ring! Are having that design recast or switching it up?

Thank you. We are having the symmetry of the stones adjusted and the setting refined, but are sticking true to the original style. It is a great example of a crossover ring and love the way the setting wraps around my finger is a spiralling style.

I cannot believe they 3 weeks ago, I had no idea what a OEC was, I just. Knew it was love at first sight and then the story of the stones unfolded. So lucky to find a ring with so many stones too! Perhaps in the future I will change things up as there is enough to work with. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results