shape
carat
color
clarity

need help choosing diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timtammy

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone
I''ve been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as possible in a short period of time. My head is spinning and my fiance and I want to make our purchase asap so i can have my ring!

We want a 1-1.1 ct, prob G, round, SI1 lowest. Its going to be set into a 3 stone ring with 2 much smaller side stones - prob .25-.3 ea.

We are in Aus and prefer to deal locally if we can. Most jewellers here are useless and charge massive markups for very ordinary stones and we want to keep the cost down and buy the best we can by getting our stone over the internet.

I''ve been to icestore.com.au and they have stones that seem ok but the stats are a bit sketchy. No crown or pavilion details. Anyone else had dealings with them? Will they provide these details if I ask? I want to be able to use the HCA. They have this special early bird list that has more details on these diamonds but they are not certified as yet. They say they guarantee they will grade as well or higher or your money back - they will deliver to your lab of choice they say. There was one there that caught my eye as quite good.

1.066 ct
F SI1-
Avg diam 6.6
Polish VG
Symm VG
FL none
depth 60.8
table % 57
crown angle 34.3
girdle 1.5
pav % 42.9
culet none

I ran it through the HCA and it came out a .8.
How does this sound? should i worry about no cert? The price is $8293 AUD which seemed pretty good to me.

What do you all think? Any other advice for me? any and all comments appreciated.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/15/2003 11
6.gif
3:23 PM timtammy wrote:
Hi there everyone
I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as possible in a short period of time. My head is spinning and my fiance and I want to make our purchase asap so i can have my ring!

We want a 1-1.1 ct, prob G, round, SI1 lowest. Its going to be set into a 3 stone ring with 2 much smaller side stones - prob .25-.3 ea.

timtammy: Sounds like you made a logical choice on choosing your color. Remember also that you can stick to dipping into those magic numbers to save your self some money. Just a comparison look at the price difference between a Ideal cut Hearts & Arrows diamond with the same specs one weighing .9 and the opther weighing over 1 carat. The price jumps quite dramatically. Just my observations. Some people are really stuck and being able to say they have a 1 ct. stone when in actuality there is little difference in size when both stones are held side by side. Especially the case if the stone is an ideal cut.

We are in Aus and prefer to deal locally if we can. Most jewellers here are useless and charge massive markups for very ordinary stones and we want to keep the cost down and buy the best we can by getting our stone over the internet.

Garry Holloway is stationed in your kneck of the woods. You might want to check his sight out. There are many other reputable vendors that you will read about browsing through the different testomonials on this site.

I've been to icestore.com.au and they have stones that seem ok but the stats are a bit sketchy. No crown or pavilion details. Anyone else had dealings with them? Will they provide these details if I ask? I want to be able to use the HCA. They have this special early bird list that has more details on these diamonds but they are not certified as yet. They say they guarantee they will grade as well or higher or your money back - they will deliver to your lab of choice they say. There was one there that caught my eye as quite good.

Im not sure but I can imagine that they are referring to the color & clarity grade of the diamond. When I see a stone that I am interested in I look at 3 things. The (HCA), The (Firescope) image of the diamond (Shows the amount of light leakage in a stone) and last of all the Brilliance scope. Very few online vendors of Hearts & Arrows stone offer all 3 but I am sure would be willing to get them for you on request. In order to make the sale expect nothing less and I think it's important not to agree to anything until you have the facts. When your satisfied with the results based on these 3 elements the last determing factor is going to be how the stone looks to you. You might indeed prefer the looks of a stone that scores lower on the HCA but has better brilliance scope readings and what appeals to you in the end is important.

1.066 ct
F SI1-
Avg diam 6.6
Polish VG
Symm VG
FL none
depth 60.8
table % 57
crown angle 34.3
girdle 1.5
pav % 42.9
culet none

I ran it through the HCA and it came out a .8. Specs look good, but don't solely rely on the HCA to evaluate the diamonds performance.
How does this sound? should i worry about no cert? The price is $8293 AUD which seemed pretty good to m
Some security relies on having your diamond tested by competent lab. GIA, EGL, IGI to name a few. Some reputable vendors will also agree to have the stone called in for analysis before you decide on your final purchase. This places integrity in the seller by having an independent appraiser do this and you will also get an unbiased opinion on what the specs are on your prospective purchase.
What do you all think? Any other advice for me? any and all comments appreciated. I see as the marketing hype of the stone

Most of all know that an ideal cut stone carries a premium higher than some other diamonds. That premium can also be higher or lower depending on what I see as the marketing hype of the branded stones along with what particular vendor you ultimately decide to deal with. I have had good luck with Jonathan at GoodOldGold and he and many other vendors have a poassion in what they do not just to make a sale, but will help you with your purchase whether its from them or another vendor.

Good Luck-
Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
----------------
16.gif

timtammy

Rough_Rock

Garry Holloway is stationed in your kneck of the woods. You might want to check his sight out. There are many other reputable vendors that you will read about browsing through the different testomonials on this site.

Yes I'm aware of Garry. Ive read his sites, tutorials and been to both of his stores. I love his diamonds and the settings. However, the retail prices for his rings are a bit steep for us! I was hoping to keep the cost down by buying at least the centre stone online - it's quite likely I will then go to him to have my ring setting done.

Thanks for your input Josh - I appreciate it! I think I will call icestore.com.au and go in and see some of their diamonds. Many that are listed in their database do come from overseas so we would have to buy sight unseen as I understand it but obviously they could be returned if they don't measure up. The inventory they carry locally is smaller but atards least i could see some in the flesh.

Regards

Timmi

Holger0702

Rough_Rock
Hi there!
How about an F, VS2, 1,005 carats?
Price is 5100,- US$
For details of the stone please mail with reference Number 22262540 to: [email protected]
Stone will be send from Antwerp/Belgium.
If not allowed to offer stones here, please tell me.
Holger

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/16/2003 5:55:32 AM Holger0702 wrote:
Hi there!
How about an F, VS2, 1,005 carats?
Price is 5100,- US$
For details of the stone please mail with reference Number 22262540 to: [email protected]
Stone will be send from Antwerp/Belgium.
If not allowed to offer stones here, please tell me.
Holger----------------
You are not allowed to offer stones on the site. Before you post you should have read that in your user agreement concerning posting permissions. The forum is intened as a service to those who want to share their experiences with other consumers along with sharing any knowledgable information about what they have learned in the journey through diamond buying.

-Peace
Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/16/2003 2
6.gif
6.gif
4 AM timtammy wrote:

Yes I'm aware of Garry. Ive read his sites, tutorials and been to both of his stores. I love his diamonds and the settings. However, the retail prices for his rings are a bit steep for us! I was hoping to keep the cost down by buying at least the centre stone online - it's quite likely I will then go to him to have my ring setting done.

There are many online vendors dealing in ideal cut Hearts & Arrows stones. Click on the vendors section in the forum and you have probably already searched this list. Many seem very reputable according to the feedback I have been reading on the forums for the past 6 months. Enter your info on the diamond search on pricescope and you can compare prices of the different stones which fall into the category of what you want.

Thanks for your input Josh - I appreciate it! I think I will call icestore.com.au and go in and see some of their diamonds. Many that are listed in their database do come from overseas so we would have to buy sight unseen as I understand it but obviously they could be returned if they don't measure up. There are also on-line vendors which have a money back garauntee if you are not satisfied with your purchase, like you stated you could always send the stone back.The inventory they carry locally is smaller but atards least i could see some in the flesh.

Regards

Timmi----------------
Good Luck Timmi. I wish you guys the best in your search and you should also remember that you can find best what suites your needs over the internet too. It opens up a whole new avenue in diamond buying and your options are limitless. I hope you have a positive experience.

Peace-
Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
3.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
timtammy;

Scorpion is giving you very good advice.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

adiamond4sale

Rough_Rock
hi
if this diamond is 1.06 carat f si1 the price is 26% more of rapaport wholesale

avi

timtammy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/16/2003 11:28:41 AM adiamond4sale wrote:

hi
if this diamond is 1.06 carat f si1 the price is 26% more of rapaport wholesale

avi
----------------

Hi there Avi

The price I quoted is Aussie dollars not US dollars. $8293 Aussie translates to $4909 US. Does that sound more like it?

I appreciate everyones advice re online vendors but almost all are in the USA. We would definitely feel more comfortable dealing with someone here in Australia if we can. There are the costs associated with sending over such a distance, insurance issues, import taxes ? (not sure about this but there well may be), then costs and difficulties with returning if its not right etc... For those of you in the states think about how you would feel buying from someone in Aus and you will see what I mean. Many of the online vendors don't seem to have facilities for overseas purchasers either. However, there isn't much choice here. Icestore.com.au seems to be the only one I can find. They are obvioulsy affiliated with icestore.com and have access to an international database but I can have the ease and peace of mind of dealing with a local vendor.

I'm going to call them today and set up an appointment to see them tomorrow. I will let you all know how I go.

I really appreciate everyones input here - I really want to do the right thing but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it! Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Timmi

timtammy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/16/2003 8:58:50 AM barry wrote:

timtammy;

Scorpion is giving you very good advice.

Barry
www.superbcert.com
----------------

Hi Barry

I've been to your site and was very impressed. I've also read very good things about your diamonds on this forum. Do you deal with overseas purchasers? Have you sold to anyone in Aus before? What would be involved?

Regards

Timmi

barry

Shiny_Rock
Timmi;

Thanks for your compliments on our SuperbCert
website. We are based in New York and have sold
SuperbCerts internationally to Australia; UK, Hong Kong,
Singapore, among others.

Consult our Policies page for details or e-mail us
for additional information.

Regards,

Barry
www.superbcert.com
wavey.gif

adiamond4sale

Rough_Rock
hi
s&h from the state will be $350-400
good luck
avi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results