Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Light stone, yellow gold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post, but I have learned from and enjoyed this forum for quite a while. Please let me know if I should revise this post to abide by the forum rules.

I am working on an engagement ring with MC2. I learned of them from a number of posts here. Everything I have read here has so far turned out to be true (and perhaps understated) - they are consummate, yet very pleasant professionals, and their work is stunning.
The setting I have in mind is the Bella Stretta (http://www.mc2jewels.com/ringdesigns/9111.html). The two pics immediately below are from their web site.
009111_x.jpg
9111_stack_b.jpg

I wanted a light brown diamond. They have found two stones - one light and another darker, one prettier than the other. The lighter one is exactly the color I had in mind, but the darker one is just as beautiful. I can't choose. I would be very grateful for advice.

The cut of both of them is round brilliant. Both are eye clean. The artist and I concur that the low clarity is acceptable, considering the gorgeous color. Here are the specs (per GIA certificates):

Lighter one: 1.02 carats, fancy dark (yellowish brown), distribution: even, SI2, polish: very good, symmetry: good, fluorescence: none. Darker one: 1.12 carats, fancy (orange-brown), distribution: even, SI1, polish: very good, symmetry: good, fluorescence: none.

MC2's rose gold has a peach tint, rather than pink. I have taken pictures with two different bands, because I need to choose between yellow and rose gold as well.

I would appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts (and vote) on which stone and which metal would be best. Thank you very much for your time.

pic1_10.jpg
photo0_0.jpg
pic3_2.jpg
pic2_6.jpg
photo_3_17.jpg
photo_4_14.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Just looking at them, I like the stone that is on top in the pictures on your hand, but I like the color better of the other one, but not the darkness in the middle. It also seems to go with the coloring of the thinner gold band a little better to me but it's kind of a toss up. Will there be any other stones on the ring?

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
There won't be any more stones on the ring or the band. I just didn't have a picture of the ring with a plain band.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi there.

ETA as i misread bastecats post.

I have recently FOUND out that l love these colours,too... hehehe. So, for me-the colour choice is the browner and more champagne-y colour. the darker brown seems to also shine brighter, the other seems to have something going on in the middle of it, as bastecat says.

I am sure other officiandos on coloured diamonds would chime in with their thoughts on this. I would probably try a new post with choosing between 2 fancy brown diamonds to catch their attention?

One question that I have to ask is that: does you GF like this colour of diamond? There are not a lot of ppl that have coloured diamond/ stones for an E ring. So, if both of you had been 'shopping' or you definitely know that is the colour that she likes as opposed to the usual colourless/ near colourless diamonds, then you are good to go. Also, the wedding band is going to be an eternity band with white diamonds as well? That will be a great contrast and i think it would work well.

For me, given what you have as options.

The darker with yellow gold.

good luck!

kaydizzle

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I am by no means an expert - I don't work in jewelery. But I can tell you from my perspective the darker stone is so rich in color and just looks delicious! The sparkle catches the eye and the color just draws you in for a really long look. The setting would be marvellous for it too, but stick with a gold color that will most compliment the stone color in hue. :appl:

With the 'peachy' yellow gold i think it will look divine. The 'rosy' gold might interfere with the brown a little. Stick with the yellow tones over the pinks.... The fact that the stone changes color a little as well in different light (or so it appears from the pictures) gives it a very special personal edge over the other stone, in my view. FABULOUS!

Good luck, and show us some pictures when you've decided and set the stone you like most!!

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I created the new topic and tried to link it to this one.

gregchang35|1359762048|3370072 said:
I am sure other officiandos on coloured diamonds would chime in with their thoughts on this. I would probably try a new post with choosing between 2 fancy brown diamonds to catch their attention?

I am the GF :D I had not thought about getting an eternity band with white diamonds. That is a great idea!

gregchang35|1359762048|3370072 said:
One question that I have to ask is that: does you GF like this colour of diamond? There are not a lot of ppl that have coloured diamond/ stones for an E ring. So, if both of you had been 'shopping' or you definitely know that is the colour that she likes as opposed to the usual colourless/ near colourless diamonds, then you are good to go. Also, the wedding band is going to be an eternity band with white diamonds as well? That will be a great contrast and i think it would work well.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the enthusiastic response! I think this is the most civilized forum on the Internet :))

That is funny! The folks at MC2 also called the stone "delicious."

I will definitely post a picture.

kaydizzle|1359764129|3370105 said:
Hi there

I am by no means an expert - I don't work in jewelery. But I can tell you from my perspective the darker stone is so rich in color and just looks delicious! The sparkle catches the eye and the color just draws you in for a really long look. The setting would be marvellous for it too, but stick with a gold color that will most compliment the stone color in hue. :appl:

With the 'peachy' yellow gold i think it will look divine. The 'rosy' gold might interfere with the brown a little. Stick with the yellow tones over the pinks.... The fact that the stone changes color a little as well in different light (or so it appears from the pictures) gives it a very special personal edge over the other stone, in my view. FABULOUS!

Good luck, and show us some pictures when you've decided and set the stone you like most!!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I like the color of the lighter stone, but I don't care for the dark center. I would go with the darker stone set in the peachy rose gold! That is the wider band shown in the pic, right? Whatever one the wider band is...that's the one I like! So pretty!! By the way, I love the setting you chose! :appl:

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Just looked at that setting again. Seriously, that is one of the prettiest settings I have EVER seen!! :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly would go with the one that MC2 thinks is the best fit for the ring. This is one of those rings that is such a creation where you defer to the designer for best fit. And to have them say "delicious" regarding one particular stone...that would be the selection for me.

Where in MO are you? I hope STL. And I hope I can hopefully persuade you one day to a get together with other local PSers so that this magnificent creation could be in my presence.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
ame|1359841404|3370701 said:
I honestly would go with the one that MC2 thinks is the best fit for the ring. This is one of those rings that is such a creation where you defer to the designer for best fit. And to have them say "delicious" regarding one particular stone...that would be the selection for me.

Where in MO are you? I hope STL. And I hope I can hopefully persuade you one day to a get together with other local PSers so that this magnificent creation could be in my presence.

+1

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eye leans to the darker stone with the rose gold

CopperTop

Rough_Rock
singer|1359837417|3370672 said:
I like the color of the lighter stone, but I don't care for the dark center. I would go with the darker stone set in the peachy rose gold! That is the wider band shown in the pic, right? Whatever one the wider band is...that's the one I like! So pretty!! By the way, I love the setting you chose! :appl:
+1!!!! :love:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the kind and thoughtful responses.

I was thinking that I should just leave it up to the artists at MC2 to decide. Their head designer likes the dark stone better, but the artist working with me likes the lighter one. Hence the dilemma. I am thinking of flying to MA to meet with them in person before finalizing the design.

Everything they make is so pretty that I have had a really tough time deciding on a setting. I picked this one because it is simple, yet ornate. It is really great to hear that several of you like it :)

I live in Rolla, but travel to St. Louis very often. I would love to meet fellow PSers and see your baubles!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
freezing_in_MO|1359868013|3370941 said:
Thanks to everyone for the kind and thoughtful responses.

I was thinking that I should just leave it up to the artists at MC2 to decide. Their head designer likes the dark stone better, but the artist working with me likes the lighter one. Hence the dilemma. I am thinking of flying to MA to meet with them in person before finalizing the design.

Everything they make is so pretty that I have had a really tough time deciding on a setting. I picked this one because it is simple, yet ornate. It is really great to hear that several of you like it :)

I live in Rolla, but travel to St. Louis very often. I would love to meet fellow PSers and see your baubles!
ooooohhhh rollamo is close! So close for me to see your precious!!! My brother went there and works nearby right now temporarily on a project (an engineer, shocker i know!), though we don't go down there much, he comes home all the time. Whenever we get our local gathering set up, it will likely be in Kirkwood area if it is still ok with Jim Summa, and that's right off 44/Lindbergh exit (well semi-right-off) so a straightish shot back out.

I like the slightly larger/oranger stone that is on top in those pics, with the metal in the wider band. If that is any help at all. It looks neat to me and somehow "better cut" from the photos. Having them not agree...not helpful! I think flying up, if it's feasible, is going to be a worthwhile investment.

Offtopic: I hope you are safe tonight. I was in the "boonies" where it was not snowing for a Trivia Night and about ten minutes into my drive back up 55 towards civilization the snow started, and got more obnoxious as I got into the city. NO ONE WAS IN A LANE. And no one was going any sort of slow or reasonable safe speed either. I was going maybe 40 bec I know that AWD is not going to do shiz if I slide, and I had people flying all around me. You could not see a damn lane. I was the little old lady tonight!

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
You should ask your brother to tell you the talking frog joke. It never gets old!

Kirkwood is great! I was there a few weeks ago to visit Mavrik. The have the prettiest green sapphire I have ever seen. Their work is beautiful, but I think I have my heart set on MC2. Meet the MC2 "wrench" - my affectionate name for this ring, because I came across it very recently and it nearly threw a wrench into my plans for a simpler ring:

image_135.jpg

So glad you are safe. I know exactly what you mean about the horrible driving.

ame|1359872038|3370953 said:
ooooohhhh rollamo is close! So close for me to see your precious!!! My brother went there and works nearby right now temporarily on a project (an engineer, shocker i know!), though we don't go down there much, he comes home all the time. Whenever we get our local gathering set up, it will likely be in Kirkwood area if it is still ok with Jim Summa, and that's right off 44/Lindbergh exit (well semi-right-off) so a straightish shot back out.

I like the slightly larger/oranger stone that is on top in those pics, with the metal in the wider band. If that is any help at all. It looks neat to me and somehow "better cut" from the photos. Having them not agree...not helpful! I think flying up, if it's feasible, is going to be a worthwhile investment.

Offtopic: I hope you are safe tonight. I was in the "boonies" where it was not snowing for a Trivia Night and about ten minutes into my drive back up 55 towards civilization the snow started, and got more obnoxious as I got into the city. NO ONE WAS IN A LANE. And no one was going any sort of slow or reasonable safe speed either. I was going maybe 40 bec I know that AWD is not going to do shiz if I slide, and I had people flying all around me. You could not see a damn lane. I was the little old lady tonight!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I blame the FIPs. (F'ing Illinois People!) The vast majority of those driving too fast for the conditions had Illinois plates. lol! Most of it melted off quickly today. My driveway is almost all melted except a slight patch between the two houses that didn't get enough time in the sun and that I am sure will be a treat in the morning when i leave...

That is QUITE a remarkable wrench!!!! I do love this simple and clean creation you're going with so I think you're making the right selection. If I was in a position for an MC2, there would be no Mavrik in the picture, Mavrik to me is not on that same level, no offense to that Igal guy. Mavrik is almost caddy corner to Summa, Summa is on the other side of the tracks, so like a block-ish north, facing south/the tracks. So you'll know where to go! woohoo!

freezing_in_MO|1359908601|3371141 said:
You should ask your brother to tell you the talking frog joke. It never gets old!

Kirkwood is great! I was there a few weeks ago to visit Mavrik. The have the prettiest green sapphire I have ever seen. Their work is beautiful, but I think I have my heart set on MC2. Meet the MC2 "wrench" - my affectionate name for this ring, because I came across it very recently and it nearly threw a wrench into my plans for a simpler ring:

image_135.jpg

So glad you are safe. I know exactly what you mean about the horrible driving.

ame|1359872038|3370953 said:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd choose the deeper colored stone because the other just looks a little washed out to me, plus it looks a little larger. And I love it with the peachy rose gold!!! That is going to be an amazing ring! :appl:

Please come back with pictures when it is finished!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to see this ring!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I vote for the darker stone in the rose gold. Just got so excited I forgot to answer your question! :)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Dark diamond + rose gold=GORGEOUS!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
to my eye one stone is almost cool in hue - whereas the other is very warm...

IMO - it depends on your clothing style, hair and eye colour as to which way you should go and seeing them would be a great idea if at all possible - as one may call to you more in person

FWIW - I do like the second setting - but the original is iconic and will stand the test of time

which ever way you go - please do come back and show us many, many pics - from what pictures I have seen they do amazing work

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all for the feedback and enthusiasm!

The darker stone is definitely warm. The lighter one is neutral - barely cool to my eye. I have the stones and bands. I can't really say that one stone or metal looks noticeably better against my skin. The yellow gold pops more, the rose gold blends in. The opposite is true of the stones, so the net effect is about the same as far as my coloring goes. The problem is that both of them are so very pretty!

I've been following a few threads where people sought input but did not post a picture of the final product. I really would have liked to see how the rings ended up. I will post a lot of pictures - and will feel like a complete showoff doing it :)

heliotrope|1359967508|3371741 said:
to my eye one stone is almost cool in hue - whereas the other is very warm...

IMO - it depends on your clothing style, hair and eye colour as to which way you should go and seeing them would be a great idea if at all possible - as one may call to you more in person

FWIW - I do like the second setting - but the original is iconic and will stand the test of time

which ever way you go - please do come back and show us many, many pics - from what pictures I have seen they do amazing work

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Here it is - dark stone, rose gold. Many thanks to all of you for your help and kindness!

I couldn't possibly give MC2 a higher recommendation. Every step of the process was a pleasure, and the end result is exactly what I had in mind.

Thank you again.

image_308.jpg

image_307.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, so beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results