shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing anniversary diamond studs

24karats

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum for awhile and need your expert advice on choosing some diamond studs. My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this spring and he will be gifting me diamond studs. I’ve been waiting a long time for this so I’m very excited but nervous about making the right decision and need your expert advice!

I’ve come across two pairs of diamond studs, one pair is from White Flash and and other pair is from Good Old Gold.

Here are the specs:

White Flash Diamond 1 (A Cut Above)
1.34 carats; Color K; Clarity SI1

DIAMOND SPECIFICATIONS
Depth %61.8
Table %55.9
Crown Angle34.5
Star %53.0
Pavilion Angle40.8
Crown %15.2
Lower Girdle %77.0

White Flash Diamond 2 (A Cut Above)
1.35 carats; Color K; Clarity VS2

Depth %61.8
Table %56.7
Crown Angle34.8
Star %51.0
Pavilion Angle40.8
Crown %15.0
Lower Girdle %77.0

Both diamond have no fluorescence and have a pointed culet (not sure if that’s a good thing of not)

Here are the specs for the second pair of diamond:

Good Old Gold Diamond 1:
1.8 Carats; K color; clarity SI2

CutExcellent
ColorK
ClaritySI2
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
Table %57%
Depth %62.7%
GirdleMedium to
CuletNone
Meas.7.68mm x 7.73mm x 4.83mm
FluorescenceMedium

Good Old Gold Diamond
1.8 Carats; K color; clarity VS2

Excellent
ColorK
ClarityVS2
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
Table %60%
Depth %61%
Girdleto
CuletNone
Meas.7.8mm x 7.85mm x 4.77mm
FluorescenceStrong

Some important points:
- Cut and size are the most important to me, the WF has the superior cut (although the GOG is great as well). I’ve always wanted to prioritize fire and sparkle over size, however the GOG diamond pair is closer to the size I’d like for diamond studs and still seems to have great sparkle to it as well.

- appreciate the blue fluorescence in the GOG diamonds that I think may hide some of the imperfections in the K color.

- both are within price range but the GOG pair is about $3k more combined.

- WF has a generous upgrade policy and I can always upgrade several years later to the ideal size I would ultimately like ~3.4 - 4ctw. GOG does not have an upgrade policy so I would be keeping this pair.

The biggest question is how much sparkle am I giving up by going with GOG which achieves the ultimate carat size I like but doesn’t have the ideal cut specifications like the WF stones? Will carat size difference more than make up for the sparkle difference?

Would appreciate any advice!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on the anniversary!
Do not go with the GOG stones. Too many issues to get into.
You cannot go wrong with ACAs, but I would just get the measurements to make sure they are a good match and find out if the SI stone is eye-clean. Also, ask the rep if the table sizes will be close enough. Are you sure you are okay with K color? Have you tried on diamond studs before? The 1.8ers you were looking at from GOG... that is pretty large for the ear IMO. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the size. Personally, for me, I would go down in size and up in color. Regardless, I think the ACAs, either this pair or another is the best way to go. Also, you will have the upgrade privileges so you won't need to feel such pressure to make the right decision now for the rest of your life. If you decide you want bigger or better color at some point, you can upgrade for the 15th or 20th anniversary!!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum for awhile and need your expert advice on choosing some diamond studs. My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this spring and he will be gifting me diamond studs. I’ve been waiting a long time for this so I’m very excited but nervous about making the right decision and need your expert advice!

I’ve come across two pairs of diamond studs, one pair is from White Flash and and other pair is from Good Old Gold.

Here are the specs:

White Flash Diamond 1 (A Cut Above)
1.34 carats; Color K; Clarity SI1

DIAMOND SPECIFICATIONS
Depth %61.8
Table %55.9
Crown Angle34.5
Star %53.0
Pavilion Angle40.8
Crown %15.2
Lower Girdle %77.0

White Flash Diamond 2 (A Cut Above)
1.35 carats; Color K; Clarity VS2

Depth %61.8
Table %56.7
Crown Angle34.8
Star %51.0
Pavilion Angle40.8
Crown %15.0
Lower Girdle %77.0

Both diamond have no fluorescence and have a pointed culet (not sure if that’s a good thing of not)

Here are the specs for the second pair of diamond:

Good Old Gold Diamond 1:
1.8 Carats; K color; clarity SI2

CutExcellent
ColorK
ClaritySI2
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
Table %57%
Depth %62.7%
GirdleMedium to
CuletNone
Meas.7.68mm x 7.73mm x 4.83mm
FluorescenceMedium

Good Old Gold Diamond
1.8 Carats; K color; clarity VS2

Excellent
ColorK
ClarityVS2
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
Table %60%
Depth %61%
Girdleto
CuletNone
Meas.7.8mm x 7.85mm x 4.77mm
FluorescenceStrong

Some important points:
- Cut and size are the most important to me, the WF has the superior cut (although the GOG is great as well). I’ve always wanted to prioritize fire and sparkle over size, however the GOG diamond pair is closer to the size I’d like for diamond studs and still seems to have great sparkle to it as well.

- appreciate the blue fluorescence in the GOG diamonds that I think may hide some of the imperfections in the K color.

- both are within price range but the GOG pair is about $3k more combined.

- WF has a generous upgrade policy and I can always upgrade several years later to the ideal size I would ultimately like ~3.4 - 4ctw. GOG does not have an upgrade policy so I would be keeping this pair.

The biggest question is how much sparkle am I giving up by going with GOG which achieves the ultimate carat size I like but doesn’t have the ideal cut specifications like the WF stones? Will carat size difference more than make up for the sparkle difference?

Would appreciate any advice!

ACA’s steal the show at any size.
They appear larger due to their cut, in spite of the difference in mm spread, and face up whiter, even at “K” color.
If you can upgrade, later, for larger ACA’s, and still have high quality, IDEAL cut studs, that would be MY choice.
It’s not really a sacrifice, if you get great quality, and you can go bigger, later, and still keep the same quality.
That’s my $.02.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the above two posts. I'd pick the ACAs in a heartbeat.

If you don't go with the ACAs, think how much money you'll lose when you want to upgrade to what you said is your dream size -- you couldn't use this purchase as your stepping stone towards the next one. Trying to sell diamonds on your own is very difficult and you'll be lucky to get half of what you paid for them.

Plus once you see/experience a super ideal diamond, in my opinion, nothing else compares!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I have K ACA studs. I adore them! In some lighting I do notice tint, but that’s when I am holding them right before I put them on. On my ears they look nice and bright. But I’m not color sensitive.

Long ago from Blue Nile I had over 1.6tcw studs in my ears with better color and I would pick my smaller ACA studs any day!

Last edited:

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
i also say ACA studs! since they are on your ears, i bet you will not notice they are K color-only that they are super sparkly!!

congrats on the 10year anniversary milestone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely the ACA pair! I have upgraded my studs multiple times at Whiteflash, and they have the best inventory of superideals which really helps when needing to match a pair.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I am sure the diamonds from WF are quite good. Have you tried BGD? Lesley at BGD can find you pairs within their Signature Line or Black Line. Why BGD? Brian is the architect of the ACA’s at WF when he and Lesley worked there. I would be pretty confident they could come up with some competitive stones for you. If you are not looking to expand the vendors, then please ignore my post and wish you the best in finding what you want.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
OP
I am sure the diamonds from WF are quite good. Have you tried BGD? Lesley at BGD can find you pairs within their Signature Line or Black Line. Why BGD? Brian is the architect of the ACA’s at WF when he and Lesley worked there. I would be pretty confident they could come up with some competitive stones for you. If you are not looking to expand the vendors, then please ignore my post and wish you the best in finding what you want.
I am very impressed with my new BGD and am going to get studs from them.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
If upgrade policy is important to you then I believe BGD’s is slightly restrictive compared to WF’s.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think upgrade is going to be an issue, the OP is looking at real big stones already

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
OP actually specified that she will want to upgrade in a few years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results