shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Choosing a Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eagles32

Rough_Rock
Hello, everyone.

I came across PS a couple weeks ago when I started doing some searches on the Web for rings and settings. I think I am even more confused on what I want to buy than I was before I got started. :) I''ve seen some very nice rings in this forum. I am surprising my girlfriend with the proposal therefore I have not asked for her input. I do know, however, that she likes classic contemporary style jewelry.

I met with my jeweler yesterday and picked out a nice cushion stone. It is a G, SI1, 1.3 carat stone, however I asked him to find a stone with similar specs in a 1.5 to 1.6 carat.

I am now going back-and-forth concerning what I want for the setting. He talked me out of stones surrounding the center stone so that the small stones do not take away from the beauty of the center stone. I agree with him.

Here are a few settings that I like. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/herooftheday/Amanda-Madar-2.jpg
www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=592&cat_id=1
www.estatediamondjewelry.com/fullsize.cfm?int_item_id=61
www.artofplatinum.com/gallery/r081-18W.jpg
Any idea how much a Leon in a similar setting would cost? If I purchase a Leon ER am I pretty much guaranteeing myself I will need to buy a Leon WB?

The final setting I saw in In Style magazine. www.gottlieb-sons.com. Style # 26664.

Then I saw a Tiffany Classic 6-Prong setting and thought I could just get a bigger 1.75 carat stone and put it in that setting. Just not sure.

Thanks in advance!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Eagles32,

I like all of the settings you''ve shown. My only concern would be if a wedding band would be able to sit flush with the e-ring settings. I''m partial the Leon setting (but then I have a leon so I''m baised). And you don''t have to buy the stone from him, I bought myine from WF. Good luck with your search!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi Eagles...welcome!

I also like all the mountings you posted.

Have you considered putting all your energies into finding the perfect diamond, surprising her with it mounted in a simple (temporary) mounting?

Then she could be involved in the selection of it''s final home. She''ll be the one wearing it for many years to come, after all.

Just a thought...
1.gif

widget

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Welcome Eagles!!! I personally like the idea of a six prong solitaire, but a nice Leon setting would be great with a cushion as well!! Good luck!!!!
2.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I posted a reply in your thread on Rocky Talky. I like the first two and the Leon. Do you have a favorite? Its important that you like the ring too. When in doubt go with Leon Mege, he will not disappoint you.

eagles32

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I think I like the Leon and the first one that is posted (cushion cut in the platinum micropave setting).

If I go ahead and buy the stone can I just make an appointment to meet with Leon? I do not live in NYC but flying in for a day would not be a problem.

I was not familiar with Leon Mege before coming on PS. Would you regard it as classic comtemporary?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
The leon is beautiful of course!
Runner up for me would be number 1.

Good luck!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
If price is a concern, the Gottlieb setting will most likely be the least expensive out of the ones you are considering. I have seen that set in person and the rings do sit flush. It is very delicate and very pretty.

Begood

Rough_Rock
I agree with Angel7, I love Leon's but number 1 would be my first choice. Again, I think you would have to try them on see which would feel more comfortable and which one would compliment your hand/finger.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
WOW, I love them all! I keep looking back and forth trying to decide which one is prettiest, but I seriously can''t decide! So glad you got/are getting a cushion though - they''re my faaaavorite!!! She''d be crazy not to love any one of them. :)

eagles32

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback!

After much debate, I have decided to go with a bigger cushion (1.60 - 1.75) in a classic Tiffany style setting (4-prong instead of 6 since it is a cushion).
That way she can get whatever she wants for the WB. Hopefully I will have it in hand within a few weeks. I''ll be sure to share it before I pop the question.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
too many links for me to compare
2.gif

Amanda-Madar-2.jpg

Ring_1.20ct_5762.jpg

ring_2.01ct_2311B.jpg

r081-18W.jpg

still.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like number one a lot and also would be very happy with the Leon. If budget isn''t a concern I''d go with a Leon in a heartbeat but I also really like the ring from Wink and think it would be gorgous...

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

My vote goes for Number one as well!
30.gif

BTW, do a search on PS for cushions and you will see a lot of photos, specs and questions that are relevant. Have you considered buying your cushion online? I recently did even though when I started my cushion quest I was planning on only learning from PS and then buying from a B&M. In the end I went with a trusted PS vendor and got a great cushion (as well as a much bigger stone since he gave me a great deal!)

Maya

eagles32

Rough_Rock
I have a local jeweler searching for the stone that I want. He had some nice cushions but he is looking for something a little bigger since I decided to go with the Tiffany-style setting (Leo Ingwer is doing the setting). I will definitely be getting a good deal on the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results