shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing a diamond, ~30k budget

ayn

Rough_Rock
Hi there, very long time lurker here, finally looking into buying a ring. Budget is around ~32k total for the ring after PS wire-transfer discount. I'm thinking about a 2ct rock of some H&A variety such as the Whiteflash ACA, BGD Signature, etc.

From browsing around the searches on PS and on their sites, I found these 3 stones around my budget, I'm looking for feedback on these, and if you have other suggestions like maybe going up/down on the ct and get a better/worse color/clarity/whatever, I'd love to hear them too!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645111.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2599704.htm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399230006

For the setting I'm thinking about the Tiffany-style "knife edge" in Pt like this.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Andrew

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
those 3 all look like wonderful choices. Of the 3 I'd honestly choose either the cheaper WF 2.01. Great choice and it will be stunning!

If you want to go up a bit in size, there are 2 expert selections on WF that are 2.13ish H/SI1's that look nice, but they are not sold as H&A. But they are also a bit less $$. Not sure if you are looking to go bigger or if a H&A stone is more important.

Best of luck!

ayn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definite leaning toward the lowest price one among those 3. Regarding H&A, I was under the impression that H&A is a higher quality cut that produces more fire while maintaining the traditional number of facets (vs something like a Solasfera). We saw some HoF stones and they looked amazing. So I guess the question is if H&A are worth the extra money.

About going larger, she tried on a 2.5 and a 3ct and they looked a bit ridiculous (albeit in a good way) on her tiny fingers. ;-)

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
ayn|1315528586|3013113 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definite leaning toward the lowest price one among those 3. Regarding H&A, I was under the impression that H&A is a higher quality cut that produces more fire while maintaining the traditional number of facets (vs something like a Solasfera). We saw some HoF stones and they looked amazing. So I guess the question is if H&A are worth the extra money.

About going larger, she tried on a 2.5 and a 3ct and they looked a bit ridiculous (albeit in a good way) on her tiny fingers. ;-)

Is H&A worth it, well thats up to you. H&A doesnt't mean a better stone or more fire or light return, it just means that your diamond was cut to certain precision to display the H&A's. Most well cut stones will display arrows anyway, and once a H&A stone is set you will probably never see the hearts again. What really will tell if you have the best cut is the Idealscope image, and ASET image.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Mrs W|1315529292|3013125 said:
ayn|1315528586|3013113 said:

Is H&A worth it, well thats up to you. H&A doesnt't mean a better stone or more fire or light return, it just means that your diamond was cut to certain precision to display the H&A's. Most well cut stones will display arrows anyway, and once a H&A stone is set you will probably never see the hearts again. What really will tell if you have the best cut is the Idealscope image, and ASET image.

whether or not you will see a visible difference with H&A is debated. Some people think there may be 'crisper' scintillation...but it depends on what you are comparing it to (i.e. near H&A? totally non H&A?) Anyway, it does represent a higher level of precision with cutting so if that is important to you then there is nothing wrong with that! You do not need H&A to have a beautiful sparkly diamond but many of the H&A branded diamonds like you linked have good upgrade policies and come with lots of information already on the website (idealscope image, ASET image, etc) that you don't have to hunt down.

I think any of those three diamonds would make a great choice for an engagement ring...please come back and post pictures when you get the finished ring!

ayn

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, one of the 2 WF stone got reserved this morning so I reserved the other one just in case. I was searching more and looks like going down to I is about 5k cheaper, like this one, what do you guys think?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you seen diamond colors in person? that is probably the best way to determine where you are most comfortable with color. Make sure to look at ideal cuts...Jared's peerless or Hearts on Fire is a good place to look. Try to look by a window if you can because color can look different in the jewelry store spotlighting. Also remember that color will be most visible from the side view.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would strongly recommend looking at various colors in person in various lighting, especially northern daylight. Since your fiance will be the one wearing it, it would be even better if she was the one looking at it. People perceive color differently. My husband cannot see the tint in my I color diamond, but I can.

audball

Ideal_Rock

ayn

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that one is starting to look good, and BGD actually has a few settings that she really likes (2mm or less in width).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ayn|1315631410|3014247 said:
Thanks, that one is starting to look good, and BGD actually has a few settings that she really likes (2mm or less in width).

They make each setting to order for each individual stone so if there is a tweak (like shank width) you want, you should feel free to inquire about it.

I'm a fan of the BGD Blue line as well. Good value there.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ayn|1315586240|3013641 said:
Thanks everyone, one of the 2 WF stone got reserved this morning so I reserved the other one just in case. I was searching more and looks like going down to I is about 5k cheaper, like this one, what do you guys think?

defore dropping down in color make sure you view ideal cut stones in various colors- in various lighting. You ned to assess your color threshold- what are you comfortable with- before you pull the trigger on a stone.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
WHen you check out various colors try to see larger size stones so you can assess what your would look like.

ayn

Rough_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That should be gorgeous! Please come back with pictures soon!!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1322013253|3067216 said:
That should be gorgeous! Please come back with pictures soon!!!!
Yes, pics please!!!

ayn

Rough_Rock
OT but I have no idea why my avatar is some random dude. :nono:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ayn|1322038768|3067533 said:
OT but I have no idea why my avatar is some random dude. :nono:

Well at least its a dude! Could have showed up as a girl :bigsmile: !

Your ring will be gorgeous...post pics when she gets it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choices!!! It will be gorgeous!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your decision!

Those look like great choices - a gorgeous stone in a classic, elegant setting. She'll be over the moon ::)

ayn

Rough_Rock
Quick update, the ring is amazing and she loves it. Here's a quick snapshot:

full res here

Thanks for all the info and help here, I couldn't have pulled it off without PS. WF was awesome also.

6724339983_bd6304d212_b.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! You did really really good! It's spectacular, congratulations!! :love: :love: :love:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Its gorgeous!! We need more pics of that beauty!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect!!! :love: It looks beautiful on her hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results