shape
carat
color
clarity

need help buying first ring (new member)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi, im new to the board. Im looking at buying a ring soon and im trying to pick a diamond right now. I would like the ring to have these traits:

round, 2 carats or bigger, ideal or excellent cut, vs2 or better, and I or H color. My budget is 15-18k. Ive looked online at jareds, and at a local jewlery store. Any thoughts on how I should procede or any suggestions?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I don''t think all of your wants will quite fit into your budget. Something will have to give, be it size, color, clarity etc. Probably of combination of these. The first place to push a bit for me would be clarity. Looking for an eye-clean SI1 or SI2 will allow you to go bigger, for sure.

This is the closest I''ve found, so far- http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204640.htm (paying by wire will get you a discount)

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 2:42:16 PM
Author:diamonds are confusing
My budget is 15-18k.

for just the stone or the entire ring?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 2:57:32 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
This is the best I can find, or should say, the best, safest bet, without access to IS image.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-i-color-vs2-clarity_LD01123133?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0
Looks like a nice stone!

diamonds are confusing- blue nile is another option that might help your money go a bit further. They do not provide as much information as other vendors, and this allows them to price accordingly. You''ll just need to figure out where your priorities lie.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 2:56:36 PM
Author: icekid
Hmm, I don't think all of your wants will quite fit into your budget. Something will have to give, be it size, color, clarity etc. Probably of combination of these. The first place to push a bit for me would be clarity. Looking for an eye-clean SI1 or SI2 will allow you to go bigger, for sure.

This is the closest I've found, so far- http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204640.htm (paying by wire will get you a discount)
If this one is eyeclean it could fit the bill nicely !!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

This one looks good too! http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4550/

Thanks for the replies and links. 15-18 k is the budget for the diamond. I plan on getting a platinum tiffany setting ring with 6 prongs. Ive looked on blue nile a bit but im very hesitant to buy anything before seeing it in person. How does that work? If I but it and don''t like it, can I send it back? Im also looking at a ring at a local jewlery store this monday that is 2.02, vs2, H, and i think ideal cut, for 17.5. Ive also looked at some leo diamonds at jareds but have found very mixed reviewes for those on this board. What do you guys think?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, as it's an I VS AGS0 and 16K... I would go for the bluenile stone as long as an upgrade policy isn't something you want. Bluenile has an excellent return policy and that stone is a pretty safe bet. I would have it shipped to you, check it out, and see what you think. I like it a lot and the 1.5k price difference is not something to sneeze at as compared with the one your jeweler is getting in.

I would save the money and check out the bluenile stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 5:11:01 PM
Author: diamonds are confusing
Thanks for the replies and links. 15-18 k is the budget for the diamond. I plan on getting a platinum tiffany setting ring with 6 prongs. Ive looked on blue nile a bit but im very hesitant to buy anything before seeing it in person. How does that work? If I but it and don''t like it, can I send it back? Im also looking at a ring at a local jewlery store this monday that is 2.02, vs2, H, and i think ideal cut, for 17.5. Ive also looked at some leo diamonds at jareds but have found very mixed reviewes for those on this board. What do you guys think?

AGS0 cut grade is a very stringent grading. It is a safe bet with the angles involve. If you don''t like it, you can send it back for a full refund within 30days.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Or you could bag the 2 carat round and get the Tiffany Legacy from signedpieces

I know, I know, totally different than what you''re looking for... It''s just within your range and totally haunting me
9.gif

So after finding out more information from my girlfriend''s friend, I may want to alter what I''m looking for slightly. She said she basically wants a big diamond that sparkles alot (if it were only that simple). So the two most important things are carat and cut. Color and clarity are obviously important too, but not as much. I think it might be better to go with sI instead of VS but just make sure to get an excellent cut and maybe a little bigger. Im supposed to also look at a 2.25 carat leo, I color, SI, this week, and it is within my price range. I may want to compare this too the 2.02, VS, H that im going to look at on Monday.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 6:32:21 PM
So after finding out more information from my girlfriend''s friend, I may want to alter what I''m looking for slightly. She said she basically wants a big diamond that sparkles alot (if it were only that simple). So the two most important things are carat and cut. Color and clarity are obviously important too, but not as much. I think it might be better to go with sI instead of VS but just make sure to get an excellent cut and maybe a little bigger. Im supposed to also look at a 2.25 carat leo, I color, SI, this week, and it is within my price range. I may want to compare this too the 2.02, VS, H that im going to look at on Monday.
when you are comparing stones be sure they''re from the same lab, GIA,AGS are the top labs.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 6:32:21 PM
So after finding out more information from my girlfriend's friend, I may want to alter what I'm looking for slightly. She said she basically wants a big diamond that sparkles alot (if it were only that simple). So the two most important things are carat and cut. Color and clarity are obviously important too, but not as much. I think it might be better to go with sI instead of VS but just make sure to get an excellent cut and maybe a little bigger. Im supposed to also look at a 2.25 carat leo, I color, SI, this week, and it is within my price range. I may want to compare this too the 2.02, VS, H that im going to look at on Monday.
You will pay a premium for The Leo as it is a branded cut. I would definitely look at SI clarities and I or J colour ( GIA or AGS graded) and check carefully that the diamond is eyeclean in order to maximise size. Also did you check out the links icekid and MrsW posted for you? There is no guessing with those diamonds as all the info is provided.

Finally made a choice on the diamond today. I was decided between two diamonds at a local jewlery store where my parents know the owners. The first diamond was 2.01 carats, very good cut, H, vs2, and the second diamond was 2.13, excellent cut, I color, vs2. I went with the second one because it had the better cut and was slightly bigger. The diamond itself was priced at over 20k but i bought it for 17.5 and its getting set in a platinum band tiffany setting with 6 prongs. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions/recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results